Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The check engine light came on saying that its misfiring on cylinder number 4 on my 98 CRV. Which cylinder is number 4?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,789 Posts
The one closest to the transmission....

·
Registered
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
1,086 Posts
Cylinders are always numbered from the front of the engine, back. 1 is closest to the pulleys (left side of car, to your right when looking at it from in front). 4 is closest to the transmission (toward right side of car, your left when looking at car from in front) like Carbuff2 said. Yes, the drivetrain is reversed is 1990s Hondas, so most cars have the engine and transmission the other way, but don't worry about it, my direction are correct here.

Most single cylinder misfires I've seen are caused by bad spark plug wires. I could be something else, of course, but I'd change the wires first. Make sure to change all 4. I'd recommend getting them at AutoZone because their's have a lifetime warranty, so when you need new wires again, you get them free.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Just to reinforce their posts, 1 is closest to the pulleys and 4 is closest to the transmission

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts