Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I agree on the Top Tier gasoline, and use 87 octane...unless you live up in the mountains at a higher elevation, where the lowest octane available is 85. If that's the case, then use 85.

·
Registered
161 Posts
For me I use name brand/good reputation gas station (for me locally its either phillips/shell) and use 91 octane with no ethanol, its better for the engine

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
For me I use name brand/good reputation gas station (for me locally its either phillips/shell) and use 91 octane with no ethanol, its better for the engine
I agree 100%. Ethanol free premium delivers a higher MPG for my vehicles, and 'Top Tier' branding is necessary for clean engine internals.

Yes, it costs more.

Hondas cost more than Hyundais, less than Ferraris. You void your Ferrari engine warranty if you do not use Ferrari oil and expect to pay $600 for that oil change.

An oil change on a Bugatti Veyron costs $21,000.

Pay the money and buy ethanol free fuel and stop saving up for that Bugatti Veyron.

You have been warned...:kneel:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Just use regular gas. You can fall for the top tier marketing gimmick if you want but because someone pays to advertise it doesn't make it better than most other.
Care to back that claim up?
TT fuel is not a gimmick. The info behind the science is easily found, vs info that it is a gimmick.
:umnik: :nod:
edited to add link backing up my statement.
1st result is consumer reports on top tier
2nd result shows why premium is a waste... to boot :badum:

:thumb:

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Care to back that claim up?
TT fuel is not a gimmick. The info behind the science is easily found, vs info that it is a gimmick.
:umnik: :nod:
edited to add link backing up my statement.
1st result is consumer reports on top tier
2nd result shows why premium is a waste... to boot :badum:

:thumb:
Your right except for the non-ethanol fuel being 1% increase in mileage. It is still not enough to justify cost anymore (they intentionally gouge for non-ethanol fuel) but it's closer to 3-5% on average. Seen 10% increases in mileage myself.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
We just got our 2016 CR-V. I see in our owner's manual and on this forum that regular gas (87 octane) is recommended. That is very surprising given that the compression ratio is 11:1!

Does anybody know why such a high compression engine can use such low octane gasoline?

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Compression ratio is only one factor in octane required. Since computer controls every aspect of the fuel delivery and ignition system high octane fuel isn't needed. Computer simply adjusts things accordingly. The thing of being stuck on premium gas for higher compression is very outdated info. That's why premium is only required in performance vehicles which mostly have forced induction engines (turbo or supercharger).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
I figured it has a knock sensor and better combustion chambers than back in the day but 11:1 is still pretty high. They have obviously done a very good job with it all!

Oops! I goofed and posted a dupe!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts