Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
I ended up getting Pennzoil Platinum from Jiffy Lube.

I know the quick change places are notorious for goofing up, but I didn't want to sit in a waiting room for hours seeing if I could catch COVID-19

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I ended up getting Pennzoil Platinum from Jiffy Lube.

I know the quick change places are notorious for goofing up, but I didn't want to sit in a waiting room for hours seeing if I could catch COVID-19
Jiffy Lube. My God. I wouldn't take my worst enemies car there.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Lol, while I'm thinking about it...drove past the local Meineke jiffy lube thing the other day......MATCO truck was in front. lol

·
Registered
186 Posts
It's nice to read your thoughts, even though most won't agree with using that weight oil when Honda apparently recommends 0/5W in your 2014 CR-V...but you are posting in the 2017 and up forum subsection for CR-Vs....your 2014 has a totally different engine. BTW, the thicker oil you are using COULD cause damage.
This is why I strongly dislike buying used cars.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Jiffy Lube. My God. I wouldn't take my worst enemies car there.
I actually had a problem with Jiffy Lube.

Their technicians were cordial and polite. The service was done relatively quickly. However, when refilling the oil they came out with a unmarked container. Something I would expect from a bulk conventional oil change. At other quickly lube places the tech would show you the bottle to verify viscosity and oil type, e.g full synthetic.

It wasn't a bad experience, but would have been happier in I could see what oil they used.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I actually had a problem with Jiffy Lube.

Their technicians were cordial and polite. The service was done relatively quickly. However, when refilling the oil they came out with a unmarked container. Something I would expect from a bulk conventional oil change. At other quickly lube places the tech would show you the bottle to verify viscosity and oil type, e.g full synthetic.

It wasn't a bad experience, but would have been happier in I could see what oil they used.
Yeah I'm sure it's Penzoil or something. But without knowing weight and actual product, I wouldn't be very happy with the end result.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The truth?
Yep. Go to Bob Is The Oil Guy | The Internet's Number One Motor Oil Site and they will same the same thing I just said. As long as it says 0W-20 API, it has to meet certain standards. For synthetic, as long as it says API (and Dexos goes a little further), then it's all pretty much the same. Don't fall for the marketing hype. Just use an API synthetic and a good filter!

This whole 'best synthetic oil' things has been beaten to death over at BITOG... numerous tests have been done and as long as it meets API (and the new standard), it's all good. Just go with what you like. Just make sure you get a good oil filter.

·
Registered
612 Posts
You just changed your story. This is what you wrote as ‘the truth’ before.

“The truth is that any 0W-20 full synthetic with high mileage additives (even if your engine is new [due to the extra anti-wear additives and seal conditioners]) is best.“

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Yep. Go to Bob Is The Oil Guy | The Internet's Number One Motor Oil Site and they will same the same thing I just said. As long as it says 0W-20 API, it has to meet certain standards. For synthetic, as long as it says API (and Dexos goes a little further), then it's all pretty much the same. Don't fall for the marketing hype. Just use an API synthetic and a good filter!

This whole 'best synthetic oil' things has been beaten to death over at BITOG... numerous tests have been done and as long as it meets API (and the new standard), it's all good. Just go with what you like. Just make sure you get a good oil filter.
and as long as you change it before the viscosity or additives are used up, then yeah it doesn't matter too much. That's why buying whatever major brand full synthetic that is on sale is going to work 99% of the time.

<$15 is usually my buy point. Makes changing the oil on CRV really cheap.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yeah, i know, one day I am sure Ill get there, but I am a die hard car guy, I just cant imagine when that day comes...

Hope everybody is staying healthy through this!

61 - 77 of 77 Posts