Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear FRiends,

I have a silly question.

I own a 2017 Honda CR-V EX-L w/Navigation. I understand the seats in this model are leather.

But I am confused about the remaining of the interior.

Could you advise what other parts of the car ( like the dashboard, steering, inner side of doors, glove box exterior etc.) are leather and which are synthetic material? I am attaching a picture with parts numbered from A to E. It would be helpful if any expert could tell me which alphabets denote leather and which one is non-leather?

I want to treat the leather inside and don't want to damage other parts that are not leather and vice versa.

Thank you !!!

RJ

Attachments

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
What, you think the seats are leather. Read the fine print...They are leather trim...only the center section of the seat has leather the rest of the the seat and the car's interior is vinyl. The "leather" section of the seats aren't really leather. They are leather veener glued to a fabric backing covered with a colored vinyl coating. The leather grain you see is also fake, it's actually embossed. By weight there is more leather in a pair of shoes than the seats. But if you wanted "real" leather seats as founded in very high end vehicles, it would cost you more than a new CRV.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Of course after the Naugas ran out the auto industry came to the rescue with "Fine Corinthian leather" manufacturered in NJ.

·
Registered
471 Posts
The Mazda CX-5 has Nappa leather which is pretty nice. But I chose the CRV for other reasons besides leather.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
........and I'd bet only the center sections of the seats are Nappa.;)

From Bing search:

Nappa leather is a leather, typically dyed, made from kid-, cow-, calf-, lamb- or other skin by tanning. It is noted for its soft temper. It is a generic term in the leather field and has no distinct test for characterization. Because of this ambiguity, the term is often used in advertising to imply that a leather has a soft hand.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
In the English-speaking world, napa leather is written with one "p". There is also the term "nappa leather", which is used for soft imitation leather. Probably to let customers believe they have bought top quality napa leather.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Honda moved to pleather (yes, that is a word.. look it up :) polyurethane leather) on some of their models... several years ago. The Odyessy being one of them. Versions of pleather have been around since the 19th century by the way.

Honestly.. these artificial and semi-artificial (blend of leather and non-leather) materials are probably more durable than most leather, and lower maintenance, particularly seats. see Leather trimmed seats: Define, please

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
......and some ‘yotas use something called SofTex.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What, you think the seats are leather. Read the fine print...They are leather trim...only the center section of the seat has leather the rest of the the seat and the car's interior is vinyl. The "leather" section of the seats aren't really leather. They are leather veener glued to a fabric backing covered with a colored vinyl coating. The leather grain you see is also fake, it's actually embossed. By weight there is more leather in a pair of shoes than the seats. But if you wanted "real" leather seats as founded in very high end vehicles, it would cost you more than a new CRV.
Such a long reply but nothing to do with my question? Thanks anyways.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
I believe Traylaw addressed the question. He would still be typing if he listed items/areas that are NOT leather. The center sections of the seats and the rim of the steering wheel are the only leather areas.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts