Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 CRV with a naked roof and I would like to add a roof rack to transport a couple kayaks. Which system do people recommend? Yakima, Thule or the dealer installed rails/crossbars?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Unless you have shorter boats (whitewater, for example), I would skip the factory bars. They attach to fixed points, and they aren't spaced very far apart. For longer kayaks and canoes I'd much rather be able to spread the load. We've always had Yakima gear and i've been very happy with it, but it would be worth checking out some online reviews at REI or the like.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Anyone use the Whispbars from yakima on a Gen2 Cr-v? I think I read somewhere on here that the Thule ones don't fit perfect. Shopping around I have found the feet and whispbars for around $400 new, shipped. I am able to move them to a different vehicle too, I had model specific ones for my previous car and they won't fit anything else, so kind of limited there...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Anyone use the Whispbars from yakima on a Gen2 Cr-v? I think I read somewhere on here that the Thule ones don't fit perfect. Shopping around I have found the feet and whispbars for around $400 new, shipped. I am able to move them to a different vehicle too, I had model specific ones for my previous car and they won't fit anything else, so kind of limited there...
I'm looking for my Gen 3 and it's between Yakima and whispbar. I had Whispbar crossbars on my Volvo and loved them! Super quiet! What I also like about Whispbar is that you can pull the weather stripping out of the bars and use bike racks that will slide into the channels and lock them down.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I ended up buying a set of whispbars off of geartrade, it seems to be the place where backcountry.com sells their returns and its like an outdoor equipment classifieds thing. I bought them from backcountry through geartrade (people online said that it is very reputable if the seller is backcountry, rather than a 3rd party private seller, that would be like ebay or anything else where you get used stuff online. I got them today, they were apparently returned after two weeks, which makes me think they were too wide to put other attachments on, or someone used them for a road trip and returned them. Picked them up for just half of retail, and $100 less than anywhere else, including ebay. Got the fit kit from amazon and am very pleased with the setup. It looks like it will fit the thule kayak stacker I want, but I need to get new hardware to mount my cartop carrier. The mounting bolt holes were painted with the car, so that makes it a little tricky. By the time I was done, I figured out the best way:
1. take off covers and identify which hole you are using.
2. thread the bolt in slowly to avoid crossthreading
3. remove bolt, clear off paint debris
4. line everything up and apply a little grease to the bolt
5. put it all together

it seems to be pretty solid, and is adjustable for other vehicles with the right fit kit. can't wait for it to warm up so I can try them out!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Since a lot of people interested in roof racks are reading this, in case anyone is from the Atlanta area, I thought I would pass along what looks like it could possibly be a decent deal on factory racks. Maybe they would ship too?:

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/pts/4332826880.html

I don't know the seller or anything about the condition. $20 seemed like a good deal, so I just thought I would pass it along. You have to to do the homework ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm also wondering about which roof rack is best. I have a 2015 touring, which came with roof rails.

My problem is this:
I want to put 4-5 standup paddleboards on top, which requires being side by side. The oem crossbars are too short, and the thule system is also too short if I get the thule system that attaches to my existing roof rails.

So here's my query:
Is it foolish to remove the rails?
If I install the Thulle system that attaches to the rails, could I extend past the rails with the crossbar?

Help!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just purchased a 2015 CRV with factory roof rails and cross racks. Looking to purchase J Racks for two sea kayaks 17ft long. Is there special things to ask or to look for when purchasing J racks to fit this system? Thanks in advance for your advice!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.