Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I am new here. I am starting to shop for a use or maybe "Certified Pre-Owned" CR-V and I would like to know which year is most reliable? I am looking at 2012, 13, 14 and maybe 2015 if I get a good deal. But from what I hear, 2015 has vibration issues, so I think I will limit it to 2012-2014.

Thanks.

·
Registered
776 Posts
II bot a one-owner 2013 EX about 6 months ago and it seems to just fine !! Personally, I'd be more concerned about the history of the vehicle than debating between those 2 years. Mileage and condition as well as maintenance history are your issues IMO. Good luck. Craig

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2017, with carplay,projector headlights, possibly more power.
I can't wait for 2017... besides, I would like to buy something that took the 20-25% depreciation hit, so that puts me 2-3 years behind the current model. Which means I won't be getting the 2017 until 2020.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
I've had mine since new in Aug 2013 and the only "issue" is the occasional VTC grind. It doesn't happen very often, so it doesn't concern me. Other than that it's a great vehicle.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am looking at a 2014 EXL returned lease car - one owner all the maintenance done. I have always had navigation but can purchase a Garmin. Any thought on the 2014 CRV - it is AWD which is what I want

·
Registered
110 Posts
I bought a 2013 one owner, previous owner older gentleman who only put 14,500 miles on her when they sold it to take care of his long term care. EXL model, FWL (I had also wanted AWD) but it wasn't a deal breaker, love the leather like seats and interior. Very happy with the 13 verses having all of the issues that the new models have plus I saved a lot of money.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks to everyone ! The 2014 I am thinking about is an EX-L AWD 2014 with 17,708 miles. It is priced at 24,999 which is high but competitive with other dealerships. I was even thinking of an aftermarket radio/navi since this has none. It has a very clean record. But I may even look at 2013's to save more money. Whatever I buy now will be traded in after the new CRV has been out over a year. Want them to get a chance to get all the bugs out. The new Civic is great but lots of "new model" issues.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Whatever I buy now will be traded in after the new CRV has been out over a year. Want them to get a chance to get all the bugs out. The new Civic is great but lots of "new model" issues.
That sounds like a big waste of money. Why don't you just wait it out instead of buying and then trading in shortly after? Or just lease, so you on't lose your ass on a trade.

·
Registered
507 Posts
$25k is high for a 2 year old CRV. The mileage is good and you can be confident that with < 20k miles and no accidents it will be a good vehicle. Any year 2012-14 will be a fine choice provided its overall condition is excellent.

You are in the ballpark, but need a better deal. Also look at a Mazda CX-5 or a Hyundai Santa Fe which is actually closer to a genuine SUV than crossover, but less expensive.

·
Registered
776 Posts
If you have faith is Consumer Reports, their latest issue just out is totally devoted to cars - new and used !! The overall reliability rating for CR-V's going back 7 years shows the 2013 to be the most reliable - "way above average" - with the rating falling thru 2015 where they say "average". I too would advise against trading frequently in today's world - you get penalized with sales taxes, plates, depreciation etc etc. MO. Craig

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks to everyone ! The 2014 I am thinking about is an EX-L AWD 2014 with 17,708 miles. It is priced at 24,999 which is high but competitive with other dealerships. I was even thinking of an aftermarket radio/navi since this has none. It has a very clean record. But I may even look at 2013's to save more money. Whatever I buy now will be traded in after the new CRV has been out over a year. Want them to get a chance to get all the bugs out. The new Civic is great but lots of "new model" issues.
$25K seems high for a 2014. I just got a quote for a NEW 2016 EX-L AWD for ~$28.4k from our local dealer. A $3k discount doesn't seem worth it to get a used 2 year old car. If it was at least 20% less than the new price, that would seem reasonable.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Thanks and you are right. I probably will buy the 14 and just enjoy it.
That's what I did. I traded up my 2012 Front wheel drive, for a 2014 All wheel drive. The 2014 had just over 8K miles on it and was in mint condition. I've been very happy with it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife and I have a 2014 EX FWD and love it. We bought it brand new and only had two minor issues with it (parking brake sensor wasn't adjusted correctly and there was an air bubble in the cooling system). We have 2 kids and it's the perfect size for us. Besides that, the gas mileage is way better than the 2008 Rav4 we had before.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello, new to the forum, long time Honda owner. 2000 Accord and now 2005 CRV - time to sell, in great condition and probably has another 100K on the engine so should get the good money for it to put toward newer model. Definitely a CRV girl.
I've read the debate between 2013, 2014 and new (not much posted however) . Is there anyone who can specifically address issues with the 2014's and 2015's? I'm reading there are some, but what are they? I'm looking for 'not new', but 'not old' 2013's don't have all the features I want. Do the 2014's? 2015's? I really like the 2015 styling - the front grill is very nice. Is it worth it to buy 2015? Not many available however and I want WHITE WITH TAN. I'm willing to put in the work to find the car I want and need.
Thanks much-

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Hello, new to the forum, long time Honda owner. 2000 Accord and now 2005 CRV - time to sell, in great condition and probably has another 100K on the engine so should get the good money for it to put toward newer model. Definitely a CRV girl.
I've read the debate between 2013, 2014 and new (not much posted however) . Is there anyone who can specifically address issues with the 2014's and 2015's? I'm reading there are some, but what are they? I'm looking for 'not new', but 'not old' 2013's don't have all the features I want. Do the 2014's? 2015's? I really like the 2015 styling - the front grill is very nice. Is it worth it to buy 2015? Not many available however and I want WHITE WITH TAN. I'm willing to put in the work to find the car I want and need.
Thanks much-
The '14 is exactly the same as the '13 and '12. They have the VTC actuator grind which isn't harmful to the engine but annoying. The '15 and '16 are the refreshed model but have vibration issues apparently. Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
21 Posts
'12 to late '14 have 5 speed auto. the '15 onwards have CVT transmission which gets you 3-5 more mpg than the previous models. Test drive both and see you like them. I personally have the '12 EX AWD. I bought it with 20k miles. now i have 50k on it and it still runs and rides like new. I cannot complain about it. I think i'm a bit aware about the vibration issue which i think is coming from the CVT transmission. I've experienced that with the '13 Accord i had before i traded it in for my CRV. But any CRV you get will be a keeper for sure.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts