Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems I get that question a few times a month. People are very interested in the CR-V because it looks great and generally drives well. But they have read a boat load of negative press on the web about this issue or that issue with the transmission, the power steering, the chassis vibrations, the idle problems, etc., etc., of certain model years. I have a 2011 EX and have a few of the "symptoms" mentioned, minor flaws, but I don't want to scare people off so I underplay those issues. Anyway, I've owned 3 CR-Vs, a 2005, 2009, and now the 2011 and the 2005 was the only one without any of the problems that we see today. That was the only one I bought new from the dealer in Arizona, the others were previously owned. So, based on all the data that this forum has generated over the years, can anybody give a focused opinion of which model year, or years, have had the best success from being issue free, for years 2009-2016? Any model earlier would have to many miles on it to make a difference to somebody wanting to buy a used CR-V, so I can leave those out of the discussion. :confused:

·
Registered
44 Posts
I imagine that the 2014 MY would be the most reliable recommendation, as it has the older K24Z7 2.4 I4 engine with port injection as well as the tried and true 5-speed AT. The 2015+ MY cars received the updated 2.4 with direct injection as well as a CVT, albeit a fairly good one. Honestly, I don't think you can really go wrong with any of the model years, as only time will tell the long-term reliability of each. Also, if the 2014 is more reliable, the 2015 may still be better because of the upgrades and improved fuel economy. It's all a trade off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I m going to say it but it probably isn't what you want to hear. I bought a 2017 and it is fantastic. The turbo is great, getting 27 around town and 36 highway. The new nav system is terrific too. Ok ! just had to mention it! Thanks for letting me jump in. Enjoy your day.

·
Registered
507 Posts
My 2013 EX AWD was flawless other than the battery being too small for my needs. The 2014 was the high water mark for the CRV IMHO. Honda went to a CVT in 2015 which was not as good as what they had. It was cheaper, but not an improvement.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I like the CVT in my '15. It is snappy and smooth. No complaints here about this ride! It's a class act.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Our two 2015 tourings have been flawless, but getting something the first year of a redesign will usually come with some problems/fixes. I'd recommend the 2016 (same as 2015, with any bugs worked out), or the future 2018 (2017 with any bugs worked out).

The CVT is peppy, smooth, and improves the mileage. I love the Honda CVT. (Nissan and Toyota could learn from Hondas implementation, IMO)

Next year, we will probably trade the 15's in for 18s, just to keep current.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think a general rule of thumb is to buy any car model that is near the end of a generation. By then any issues that were discovered when it was first introduced have been worked out. I.E. I would never buy a 2006 Honda Civic due to how many issues they had with premature tire wear.

·
Registered
46 Posts
2011 crv

I recommend the 2011 CRV . The 2010 is also a good car! The 2018 CRV is a problem! I owned 1, and it had all kinds of problems...from electrical to oil dilution! If you want to take a $30K risk, good luck!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I think a general rule of thumb is to buy any car model that is near the end of a generation. By then any issues that were discovered when it was first introduced have been worked out. I.E. I would never buy a 2006 Honda Civic due to how many issues they had with premature tire wear.
I agree with the theory of purchasing a vehicle that is near the end of a generation. We picked up a 2016 EX-L a little over a year ago and it has been a great vehicle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts