Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Automatic transmission CRV. When I come back from a road trip that is hillier than where I live in Houston, a whining noise develops that, increases in speed when the RPMs increase . Similar to when you turn the handle on a hand crank flashlight or radio , the faster you turn the handle the faster the whine and higher the pitch . Two Honda dealers have changed the transmission fluid , but it it did not fix it. The noise is coming from the front not the back , around the belt, but the belt is OK. Also when it is making this whine , when you make a turn the steering wheel will growl or grind. Mechanics have said it is the bigger tires I put on , however it did this before I put on the bigger tires!!!!
Help Susan

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Four things I can think of.
1) rear diffy fluid needs to be changed if yours is a AWD model. Many time the grinding, howling, screeching sound it makes seems to come from the front.
On a friend's 2000, I would have sworn it was coming from the front right while doing a slow tight turn.
2) Power steering pump. Perhaps a belt problem or a need to change the PS fluid or?
3) Alternator is causing the whine
4) AT fluid needs to be changed
Just guesses.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You for your response. Yesterday we took it to our local shade tree mechanic. He put the end of a screw driver on the alternator and could tell the whine was coming from the alternator. He is going to replace the alternator and change the power steering fluid . The transmission fluid has already been changed twice. I will let you know if that fixes the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Replaced the alternator with a new one . The battery is fine . The noise is still there , but not as irritating. The big improvement is the growling when turning the wheel . The wheel now turns easily even when standing still. Thanks for your response. It is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
The reason I mentioned to check the battery was because putting in a new alternator with a poorly charged or dead or failing battery can cause the new alternator to get toooooo hot.
Happy to hear you got the noise problems reduced a lot.
Buffalo4

1 - 7 of 7 Posts