Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I noticed a whistling or humming noise coming from the engine area when driving 70-80 MPH. Is this normal? The car has a little over 500 miles on it. Just want to make sure all is well or to see if any of you have heard this?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,016 Posts
Must not care about breaking in your car. Totally get it, I posted some info but not going to dif out what we all should do or not keep it slow till broken in I say

Check for any openings, all around even on the firewall.

good luck

AKA Roadster

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Must not care about breaking in your car. Totally get it,

good luck

AKA Roadster
Thanks, no I drive like an old person. When I get up fast it takes a while and is gradual. I never floor it or brake hard unless completely needed. So I don't think it is driver related. This was done on the interstate after driving for 10 miles or so, slowly getting up to speed. I should state that it was around 75 MPH (I rarely get that fast but it was needed) where it happened. I never got to 80 but I wanted to give a range.

Also always in ECO mode

·
Registered
85 Posts
Must not care about breaking in your car. Totally get it, I posted some info but not going to dif out what we all should do or not keep it slow till broken in I say

good luck

AKA Roadster
Seriously, what does break in instructions have to do with this humming/whistling noise the poster observed?

joshuadj22 - is it a constant whine/humm or only when you're acceleration? The turbo makes an audible spool noise starting at 2.5k rpms..perhaps that is what you're hearing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seriously, what does break in instructions have to do with this humming/whistling noise the poster observed?

joshuadj22 - is it a constant whine/humm or only when you're acceleration? The turbo makes an audible spool noise starting at 2.5k rpms..perhaps that is what you're hearing.
Thanks, that must be what it is then. Just wanted to make sure It wasn't something else but that makes total sense. I was probably around 2.5 rpms. Thanks!

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,905 Posts
Thanks, that must be what it is then. Just wanted to make sure It wasn't something else but that makes total sense. I was probably around 2.5 rpms. Thanks!
The engine sounds of the 1.5T DO take a little getting used to, compared to prior CRVs. I have had more then one new CRV owner ask me if the engine on their CRV sounds normal to me. :)

Between the turbo and the exhaust system it is mated to.. it tends to be a bit of a low level growler unless the turbo really kicks into high gear. The sound you are reporting could be normal.. or it could be an issue of some sort.. hard to tell from this side of the forum. I guess the question is.. can you reproduce the noise in park... by pushing the accelerator to boost rpm up into the 2500 rpm range... because it could just be normal 1.5T noise you are reacting to.. or since the vehicle is new... it could be something related to road speed on the drive train, or transmission.

At the speed you were stating... RPM is probably in that 2500 rpm range that crvcal was commenting on. I remember early on when I had my new CRV and had to accelerate to avoid an traffic safety issue.. and when that turbo kicks in when you tromp on the fuel... it really does wind up and the vehicle surges forward like no other CRV I have ever owned. Most of the time though... it just kind of purrs along in the 1500 rpm range in local town driving. The transmission seems to have a real sweet spot in terms of torgue in the 1500-2000 rpm range when mated to this engine. I like that the turbo has almost no lag that is so common with turbos.

·
Super Moderator
5,016 Posts
breaking in a new car was what I was saying. nd only a fe places that allow 70mph speed zones and 75mph

Now I will say ever own a Turbo ever hear the fan whine or whistle there is a sound eleminator sys in the car.

Back to

·
Super Moderator
5,016 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
breaking in a new car was what I was saying. nd only a fe places that allow 70mph speed zones and 75mph

Now I will say ever own a Turbo ever hear the fan whine or whistle there is a sound eleminator sys in the car.

Back to
Thanks everyone, it is the turbo for sure after paying attention to it. I live in an area where 70 is the base speed limit on the interstate.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,777 Posts
Since you have a new car, you could have taken it to the dealer to document any issue.

Often a dealer will allow you to check a demo car to see if it makes the same noises (which it would have, if it is just the turbo spooling up).

·
Super Moderator
5,016 Posts
The days of candy.

they were the color of pepto Bismal. and that was the sound of the Turbo when you Blew. today I can not hear that whistle due to the white noise the car electronically takes it out and there is no turbo guage showing the turbo is active. or even a led light turbo on turbo off.

yep the days

·
Super Moderator
5,016 Posts
that is what Honda needsin thecar the guage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts