Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a small jar (can, container, looks like a spaceship) off of Amazon. It is supposed to be genuine Honda White Diamond Pearl touch up paint (08703-NH603PAH-A1). But, it does NOT match at all. It is much lighter than the pearl paint job. After I bought it (and tried it) I found numerous reviews with the same complaint. This was the same source I used for my wife's Accord (burgundy) and that paint matched perfectly.

Has anyone else run into this? And, has anyone found the proper touchup paint?

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Because you cannot match a pearl paint job on a touch up can. Pearl is a multi layer process. And if you are not clear coating over the touch up it won't ever match. Those cans are part of the layers to be used for repairs.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Because you cannot match a pearl paint job on a touch up can. Pearl is a multi layer process. And if you are not clear coating over the touch up it won't ever match. Those cans are part of the layers to be used for repairs.

So, are you saying if I simply use the clearcoat (in the other end the container), it will match?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Not necessarily.

Though a clear coat touch up may (no paint over chip/scratch) deal with the scratch.

As I said pearl is often a multi stage paint system more than primer-paint-clearcoat

But like most vehicles the actual scratch doesn't even get through the paint, just the clear, putting clear back on and polishing more often than not eliminates scratches.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The White pearl touch up paint I bought (off Ebay) came in two bottles for the two stages. It matched up fine on mine.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a 2012 Pilot with WDP, I bought the touch up paint at the dealer. It came with 2 containers, one base white the top coat with the clear/diamond mixed. It works pretty good on the the metal parts, but the plastic bumpers it doesn't match at all, sticks out like a sore thumb.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 2012 Pilot with WDP, I bought the touch up paint at the dealer. It came with 2 containers, one base white the top coat with the clear/diamond mixed. It works pretty good on the the metal parts, but the plastic bumpers it doesn't match at all, sticks out like a sore thumb.
"Sticks out like a sore thumb" ... that is exactly my problem. But, I have not put the clear coat on top ... yet.

·
Registered
47 Posts
"Sticks out like a sore thumb" ... that is exactly my problem. But, I have not put the clear coat on top ... yet.
The clear coat on the metal parts looks pretty good, but even the clear coat top coat on the plastic bumper looks terrible.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So ... to ask again ... has anyone found a touch-up paint that actually matches the White Diamond Pearl color? Or at least comes close?

·
Registered
64 Posts
So ... to ask again ... has anyone found a touch-up paint that actually matches the White Diamond Pearl color? Or at least comes close?
Well, I'm experiencing the exact same issue, old thread I know but... anyone have an answer?

Here's some additional info I've found but still haven't completely resolved it: Honda paint codes are like NH603P - but there's an additional designation which is 'factory code'. It can be found on the door jam, or it's also the 11th letter in the car vin.

Numerous sites indicate that when that factory code varies, so does the paint. In my case it results in NH603P-L. My door jam says NH603P-L-L (I think there are 2 'L's" there because the interior is beige and it's color code is L also.

Here's the kicker: searching for the 'L' version, it's only available in the UK. And even they don't seem to have it in stock or available. Quite the pia.

Has anyone found other honda white's that come close? Maybe the orchid? maybe aspen white pearl?

Ps, yes I tried the clear on top, no help. There's just no way something that is much much brighter white is going to match. It's simply the wrong color.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Well, I'm experiencing the exact same issue, old thread I know but... anyone have an answer?

Here's some additional info I've found but still haven't completely resolved it: Honda paint codes are like NH603P - but there's an additional designation which is 'factory code'. It can be found on the door jam, or it's also the 11th letter in the car vin.

Numerous sites indicate that when that factory code varies, so does the paint. In my case it results in NH603P-L. My door jam says NH603P-L-L (I think there are 2 'L's" there because the interior is beige and it's color code is L also.

Here's the kicker: searching for the 'L' version, it's only available in the UK. And even they don't seem to have it in stock or available. Quite the pia.

Has anyone found other honda white's that come close? Maybe the orchid? maybe aspen white pearl?

Ps, yes I tried the clear on top, no help. There's just no way something that is much much brighter white is going to match. It's simply the wrong color.
For pearl paint finishes... your best bet is to ONLY go with OEM touch-up paint directly from your dealer. They should have it in stock, or worst case can order it for you.

As noted earlier in this old thread.. those that went with OEM touch up from the dealer received a two stage touch-up kit... which I believe is separate from the actual clear coat which is yet another part number (unless Honda has combined the pearl into the clearcoat on the touch up paints.

I can definitely see where OEM part numbers would require a code included for the factory of origin..... since the paint formulations could be sleightly different from country to country.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I’ve used the oem touch up paint for our 17 wdp and you need ti watch videos before hand if you dont prep the area it just goes on and looks as if it doesn't match.
Also rememver that your paint has been in the sun for a few years vs a fresh bottle.

·
Registered
64 Posts
For pearl paint finishes... your best bet is to ONLY go with OEM touch-up paint directly from your dealer. They should have it in stock, or worst case can order it for you.

As noted earlier in this old thread.. those that went with OEM touch up from the dealer received a two stage touch-up kit... which I believe is separate from the actual clear coat which is yet another part number (unless Honda has combined the pearl into the clearcoat on the touch up paints.

I can definitely see where OEM part numbers would require a code included for the factory of origin..... since the paint formulations could be sleightly different from country to country.

Well, here's the thing, my oem dealer has the official 'honda touch up paint' to sell me, but it's identical to the 'honda touch up' paint I bought on amazon. Same part number, same honda product, same honda logo. It's identical.

Of course being in the sun, fading etc etc etc will affect paint. Duh. But not like this, this difference is dramatic. They are simply not the same color.

And factory code isn't the same as country code. As a matter of fact, I just found a place in the states that indicates they have the 'L' version of this paint. I don't know why searching for that NH603P-L only shows up in UK, and also honda dealer doesn't even list that as available. It's very confusing. But a mystery to be solved I hope.

I'm going to order from the place I found, it's a base and mid, but waiting for them to call to verify there really are differences in the L and others instead of just wasting money and getting what I already have.

If it turns out to be a match, I'll update this thread with where to buy etc.

Cheers

·
Registered
64 Posts
Well, yes, the paint I got, with the correct factory code, matches the paint on my vehicle.

The site is paintscratch.com, In my case (I didn't try any other vehicle types or makes), but upon entering a 2014 honda CRV and paint, you'll then be prompted to select a "Factory Code". Research I did indicated that factory code is on your door panel, but also that it's the 11th letter (or digit) of your vin. Mine is an "L".

The research also indicated that absolutely, a different factory code will mean a different variation of the color of the paint. My bet is that Honda sells a generic NH-603P that matches (or closely) most of the versions. But it does not in my case. What Honda sells is way too bright of a white, it stands out like a sore thumb when trying to do small rock dings.

But the paint I got from paintscratch is a perfect match. Now that (of course) shouldn't be interpreted as meaning the small ding touchup can't be seen. Unfortunately that kind of repair isn't easy to make unnoticeable. But if you look at it 'straight on' (not from an angle), then you don't see a difference. It's the same color. That was just not true with Honda's touch up paint supposedly for my CRV.

Why Honda doesn't have the "L" factory version of this paint I've no idea (my local dealer told me they didn't know it existed and couldn't order it as they have no listing for it). But paintscratch indicates they get the various factory variant "chips" from Honda, and that's what they use to mix / match the paint.

So solving the mystery, I don't know. But, I'd bet if yer having trouble with a match, order from where I did with the right factory code, it will probably work as it did for me.

Cheers

·
Registered
100 Posts
As someone that had supplied coatings matching factory automotive paints, I can tell you that just about every batch of paint supplied to them is different.

The color matching charts we had would list at least 6 different colors of white with the same exact code. You would match the color to the supplied color samples from the manufacture. On the back of each color coupon would be the pigment adds needed to match that exact white.

The other problem is that metallics and pearls are very sensitive to application methods, change anything about the technique and even the exact same paint can look very different.

At the factory it was sprayed through some very expensive equipment that you can’t duplicate, and you are using a tiny applicator brush.

This results in a close or exact match being almost shear luck.

·
Registered
64 Posts
At the factory it was sprayed through some very expensive equipment that you can’t duplicate, and you are using a tiny applicator brush.

This results in a close or exact match being almost shear luck.
I'd say if you were painting something the size of, say a door, an exact match would be difficult, but then, that's why paint shops sometimes do a 'blending spray' with any other painted surface adjacent to it.

But a small chip in the paint? Shear luck? Well, if that's the case, then I just had 'shear luck' 7 or 8 times, because the painted chip area you can't really see a difference in color.

Honestly, your description is almost like "Don't bother to try to match the paint, it'll never happen". Really? Not my experience for small chips. Many of us have fixed chips on our vehicles with touch up paint and the match has certainly been good enough for that purpose.

With this vehicle though, the white diamond pearl, I had to use the factory code to get a result virtually indistinguishable from the paint around it, when fixing chips. I think others having this color will find the same to be true.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Unfortunately it’s the reality of the paint and coatings world.

I’ve only done this for about four decades, I work with paint suppliers, companies/shops that do repairs with these paints and coatings, and sometimes the end user of product that wanted the color matched.

It’s not uncommon for a DIY’er to accept a lesser quality finish when doing it themselves, but charge them good money for the repair and they become far more critical in how it turns out.

Door dings can result in a door or fender being completely repainted, the spot repair frequently doesn’t match well enough. Blending the repair into the surrounding surface sometimes works, but not that reliably. Even repainting an entire panel doesn’t always match well enough.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts