Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know its a thing and my 1998 crv just started to smoke today after idling in traffic for half an hour never got hot and seems like it is oil.what is the most common cause and repair.I am capable just wondering witch prepair is most common

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
White smoke is rings or valve stem seals.

Now a faulty PCV can cause this as well because it allows too much pressure to build up in the crank case.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
291 Posts
I know its a thing and my 1998 crv just started to smoke today after idling in traffic for half an hour never got hot and seems like it is oil.what is the most common cause and repair.I am capable just wondering witch prepair is most common
When antifreeze get to the cylinder, usually trough the head gasket, you will see a white smoke. Too much oil produce blue smoke.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Like YST, I always thought black smoke was fuel related, blue was oil, and white smoke was water. If the vehicle is warmed to operating temperature and you see white smoke, then I would be concerned cracked block, head gaskets etc.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
The color of smoke is not what it used to be. Oil smoke looks white in minor amounts. Quick way to tell is how fast it dissipates. After vapor dissipates extremely quickly unless it's extremely humid. Oil smoke does not. It hangs until it slowly spreads and dissipates. Heavy amounts start to look blue but on a bright sunny day a very small amount will come out white.

Same with too much fuel, takes a lot to come out black with modern emissions systems dealing with it. Dont see that unless you have multiple injectors leaking down or seriously bad upstream o2 (air fuel ratio sensor as Honda calls it).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts