Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my headlight for my 06 CRV went out. It's a H1 bulb. I unplugged it, took out the rubber seal, and loosened that metal clip.

I changed the bulb, but I'm having soooo much difficulty getting that metal clip back in place. You can't see how it's designed or where it's supposed to clip to. It's been very frustrating. Can someone explain how to push that metal clip back in place? Better yet, a photo would be super nice. I tried Googling but came up with lots of random pics and none deals with the 06 CRV.

Thanks a bunch.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,495 Posts
I had to replace both headlamp bulbs within 6 months of each other.

I'm still going to therapy as a result, yeah that clip is a bugger. :kaboom

Its the same as an '05 but I didn't find any pics on the 'net either.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
after changing my bulb every 3 month I install the bulb in a few min now. LOL
Something isnt right there, shouldnt need to change bulbs that often.

I find these really easy to change. Release and let flip down. Change bulb. Flip back and push wire towards the center then in, release pressure youll feel it snap in place and done. I do them purely by touch in about 45 seconds each. Takes more effort to get the plug off then swap the bulb out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,495 Posts
I do them purely by touch in about 45 seconds each.
It's an acquired skill, LOL. :Hahaha:

PS: Throughout time, some Gen2 owners have needed to replace bulbs frequently. :wall:
The BRAND is important, stay away from Philips especially the 'bright' ones, they don't last.

Best result is with European Osram bulbs (or dealer). Tight battery connections (and a good battery) go a long way towards minimizing the voltage spikes that 'kill' the bulbs.

·
Registered
895 Posts
It's an acquired skill, LOL. :Hahaha:

PS: Throughout time, some Gen2 owners have needed to replace bulbs frequently. :wall:
The BRAND is important, stay away from Philips especially the 'bright' ones, they don't last.

Best result is with European Osram bulbs (or dealer). Tight battery connections (and a good battery) go a long way towards minimizing the voltage spikes that 'kill' the bulbs.
The Sylvania bulbs aren’t much better. If I blow another one I’m calling them to get some money.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I have sylvania ZXE Ultras. 0 issues. Used sylvania as long as I have been driving. Never have a premature failure that didnt have a cause other than the bulb itself failing for no apparent reason. As a teen I went through bulbs till I asked wth was going on. My father laughed and asked "Didnt I ever tell you not to touch the bulb itself???"

How many of you are managing to change the bulbs without ever touching the glass of the bulb with your fingers AT ALL or letting them touch anything but the inside of the light housing????

Touch a bulb with your fingers, kiss that bulb goodbye. Let the plug with its grease touch any part of the bulb besides the back of it, toss the bulb in the trash.

Literally the entire reason people pop bulbs constantly. They touch the glass with their fingers or on Hondas and some others that have grease on the connector. Last one is moisture inside the housing.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Touch a bulb with your fingers, kiss that bulb goodbye. Let the plug with its grease touch any part of the bulb besides the back of it, toss the bulb in the trash.
Have you tried cleaning the bulb with an Alcohol wipe and dry with a tissue before trashing it.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,495 Posts
Have you tried cleaning the bulb with an Alcohol wipe and dry with a tissue before trashing it.
^^^ That works, especially if you have contaminated the glass with your tears of frustration. :Eyes:

Headlamp bulb replacement should include THIS step at the end:

:icon_drink:

·
Registered
2 Posts
It is an acquired skill as stated above. I've had to change them repeatedly over the years. With the bulb out look at the location of the retainer clip and see how it closes and snaps into place. Problem is the hands get in the way and you can's see it when you have to do it. I've been lucky as the last bulb change was 6+ months ago.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I have sylvania ZXE Ultras. 0 issues. Used sylvania as long as I have been driving. Never have a premature failure that didnt have a cause other than the bulb itself failing for no apparent reason. As a teen I went through bulbs till I asked wth was going on. My father laughed and asked "Didnt I ever tell you not to touch the bulb itself???"

How many of you are managing to change the bulbs without ever touching the glass of the bulb with your fingers AT ALL or letting them touch anything but the inside of the light housing????

Literally the entire reason people pop bulbs constantly. They touch the glass with their fingers or on Hondas and some others that have grease on the connector. Last one is moisture inside the housing.

I'm no stranger to replacing light bulbs. Nothing touches them. They just don't last. But I probably drive more in the dark than the average person, so that is a factor. But I expect these bulbs to last longer. At least past their 12 month guarantee.

And with those ZXE bulbs being around $30 per bulb, they better last. Fact is that most auto parts stores don't stock anything other than Sylvania bulbs.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Ya I paid $45 or $50 for the pair.

Ive always ran sylvania pretty much, just whats easily available. And surprisingly have had no issues. Our odyssey is on year 3 of its bulbs. Previous car. Cobalt I changed the bulbs about 5 years in and sold it never having changed them in the final 6 years we had it.

I also replace in pairs and dont buy the cheapest ones. If I dont buy the good ones I at least buy mid range. That may be what makes the difference. Buy the cheap ones and change yearly or buy the decent ones and get a few years out of them.

My CRV is the first time I have gone ZXE Ultras. Usually buy the step or 2 below. See how long these last Im at 6 months so far but if life of the mid range bulbs is a decent indicator, I have a few years of service out of them coming.

The alcohol wipes work for finger prints and such. Not grease.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I think about six months is all I got out of the last pair. Have been buying the Sylvania silverstar bulbs. Been reading reviews for the other brands on their higher performance bulbs and they all seem to have about the same number of complaints about early failure. But who knows. Some of these people may have been licking the bulbs before putting them in. Next time these blow, I may give the ZXEs a shot.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,575 Posts
Six months for sylvania silverstars is better than I did. Went back to generic basic bulbs.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Thats really odd. Have never seen bulb failures to that extent unless junk gets on the bulbs. Now has me curious and going to do some homework

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,495 Posts
Some of these people may have been licking the bulbs before putting them in.
LOL :rofl:

Do they taste good? J/K

·
Registered
895 Posts
LOL :rofl:

Do they taste good? J/K
I can't say. But there are plenty of window lickers in the world that could probably tell you. :nod:

Thats really odd. Have never seen bulb failures to that extent unless junk gets on the bulbs. Now has me curious and going to do some homework

It is. When I started using the higher performance bulbs years back, I have been very careful to keep them clean since they run hotter than the standard output bulbs. I do expect a shorter lifespan from the high output bulbs within reason. But I expect at least a year from any of them. Sylvania's satisfaction guarantee is 12 months. I saved the receipts from the new ones. If they don't make a year then I'm taking them up on that guarantee. Some of that stuff is probably why they got sued a few years back to the tune of 30 million bucks.

·
Registered
600 Posts
If I remember correctly, There was a recall on gen2 CR-Vs on/Off light switch that caused bulbs to burn out at an accelerated rate. I probably changed light bulbs out 2 or 3 times a year on both sides for the first 8 or 9 years I had my 2004. If one side blew out, the other side would go within a week or two so I started replacing in pairs and kept a few of the good bulbs in the car for emergency replacements. Then, after the recall it reduced failure to once every year or two. I've had my 2004 for almost 14 years (302k) miles and I can change headlight bulbs blindfolded with one hand tied behind my back. I had friends that had a 2005 and 2006 CR-Vs and I used to change their bulbs for them also. I don't believe that the 05/06's were part of the recall, at least they never told me their v's were recalled for the switch.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts