Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any help guys would be massively appreciated. Before I start blowing my life savings on a car thats worth about the same value as a happy meal.

The vehicle is a 2005 2.2 cdti CRV. 155k miles. Driving locally no issues. Only when accelerating from about 50 to 65mph do I get massive vibration through the whole cabin. From what I've read potential driveshaft issues?

But the fact that whilst the shaking is occuring I've noticed clouds of smoke behind me...... it's making me think its engine related and it's the actual engine shaking the car. If I take my foot off the accelerator it stops shaking. Or knock it out of gear it stops also.

I've also noticed it feel like it has a little hiccup sometimes, like the fuel is interrupted for a split second.

Any clued up people hazard a guess. I think I might end up chasing my tail and it costing me more than the car is worth to sort out. I'm considering getting shut, but I love the car. Thanks in advance.

Oh I've also changed all the tyres and had the wheels rebalanced last week. No change.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Barkerj!

I don't have any personal experience with the cdti, but I bet others will be here soon to assist!

I'm going to move your post to the diesel section.

Reactions: Barkerj

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,247 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Fuel filter? Water in fuel?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the forum! Fuel filter? Water in fuel?
Cheers kloker.

I don't think there is water in the system, but fuel filter maybe worth looking into. I did change it last year though. Thanks mate

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,247 Posts
Diesel fuel is notorious for getting contaminated with water and other things, and once a fuel filter is contaminated it must be changed. Do you have a Honda Factory Service Manual? If not, I'd certainly get one. It will contain extensive troubleshooting procedures for this and all issues. Maybe eBay? Keep us posted on this issue!

·
Registered
183 Posts
With 155k service life of your engine you might want to think about getting your injectors serviced to eliminate them as the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've done the whole injector cleaner. Didn't make a difference. Changed the fuel filter on Monday. Didn't make a difference. So now I'm going down the driveShaft route.... I'll let you know what happens. Again cheers for your advice

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's black mate. If I accelerate hard I will leave a cloud behind me. Or if I take my foot off the gas motorway speed then reapply it 50 to 70mph, looks like a mount Vesuvius has just erupted behind me.

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,247 Posts
That sounds like an injector problem.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well I would put my life savings that you have a very badly worn pair of drive shafts on the front of the motor...

These can be found on fleabay for just under £150, around the £140 mark when I purchased mine about 6 months ago... go for ones with the longest guarantee you can find,

AVOID the Honda original fitment ones, as they will bee made by a different company NOT Honda, but Honda will load the price 400% + stick them in their own box and hope some gullible punter will buy them from Honda, cos its got Honda on the box, when they are actually made by someone completely different and are available at a much much lower cost.

These are what I purchased:

40,000 miles approx and as good as new, and my iCtdi has 200BHP hehehe...

As for the smoke, usual suspects are a dirty air filter, and if the shudder is that bad, it could be allowing a leak in the inter-cooler pressurised hoses, this will make it smoke and you maybe able to hear a hiss from escaping air too, a dirty fuel filter, and the fuel feed chamber 'filter sock' being blocked as in my first post on the site... full instructions there and well worth doing yearly...

I would again put money on the hoses allowing an escape of air, causing the black smoke... If not that then the fuel filter and fuel filtration sock in the tank... an easyish job to do and this will cost just £3.00 for cleaner.

TTFN

1 - 12 of 12 Posts