Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends here,

I have a friend that his JEEP vehicle is burning oil, he says he has to put oil every two weeks.

I use to have a Crysler caravan before it was the same issue

I was told it was the seals on the engine and a big job to replace the seals on the valves, etc

i big job, couple of thousand.

So, his vehicle is a jeep, i know we are CRVs here, But maybe anybody has experienced this, or has any idea if is worth it fix it, or else

·
Registered
288 Posts
Outside of manufacturing defects or a sticking pcv valve, the reason why an engine will burn oil is lack of proper maintenance (too long of oil change intervals). Check the pcv valve first.

Not changing the oil will lead to burned valve seats, worn valve seals, and/ or worn rings. Any and all of these things will lead to oil burning. A valve job or new head will fix the first two.

A healthy engine should not consume oil. I had a Ford pickup that had 270k miles when I sold it. It did not burn a drop of oil at that mileage all due to regular oil changes. The same with an oldsmobile v8 I had with 240k miles.

A healthy engine will start to consume oil if the oil change intervals is too long. Shorten the oil change interval And future damage will be avoided.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Outside of manufacturing defects or a sticking pcv valve, the reason why an engine will burn oil is lack of proper maintenance (too long of oil change intervals). Check the pcv valve first.

Not changing the oil will lead to burned valve seats, worn valve seals, and/ or worn rings. Any and all of these things will lead to oil burning. A valve job or new head will fix the first two.

A healthy engine should not consume oil. I had a Ford pickup that had 270k miles when I sold it. It did not burn a drop of oil at that mileage all due to regular oil changes. The same with an oldsmobile v8 I had with 240k miles.

A healthy engine will start to consume oil if the oil change intervals is too long. Shorten the oil change interval And future damage will be avoided.
Thank you,

yeah, i will tell him that,

My CRV i am always on top of all that

·
Registered
560 Posts
dirty oil will produce gum and deposits in the engine. Sooner or later the oil control rings on the pistons will jam in place and not scrap the cylinder walls of the oil. The oil left on the cylinder walls will burn with the air fuel mixture

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Poor seal at the oil control rings, loose valve guides, oil getting past the baffle at the PCV valve.

Is it worth fixing... depends on what is causing the oil consumption, what is the value of the vehicle, how much are they willing to spend.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Not a Jeep fan.....but 1 great thing about Jeeps...There are many great online Jeep forums..with a great # of knowledgeable people!!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you guys for the responses.

I take care my CRV, Maybe it is the oil not changed frequently, But now there is a problem

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Three things "might" help...

Thank you guys for the responses.

I take care my CRV, Maybe it is the oil not changed frequently, But now there is a problem
Replace the PCV valve, change the oil and filter, and add Marvel Mystery oil in place of one of the quarts of oil.

If the problem is sticking rings, Marvel Mystery oil might free them up.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,729 Posts
Also, have him squirt a spoonful of Marvel into the spark plugs holes and let it penetrate overnight.

BTW the Jeep could be a straight-6 or a V-6, different engines.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
To the question: Why a vehicle burns oil ???

1) Poor new engine break in by owner.
2) Crazy driving by owner.
3) Not changing the oil.
4) Just plain bad luck.

I guess I have been lucky but all of the Honda vehicles I have owned (8) have never 'burned' oil. : )

·
Registered
18 Posts
That's a lot of oil to lose/burn. If it burns that much oil in two weeks you will likely see blue smoke at a cold start and that is likely worn valve guides. When the car sits after being shut off, oil leaks from the heads through worn guides and into the cylinder or cylinders over a period of time. When you go to start it up it burns that oil and creates a puff of blue smoke. If you don't see blue smoke at the start but see it every now and then when its warm, it's likely worn piston rings or oil rings. A bad pcv valve can cause oil to be sucked up and burned also so id replace or clean that first. If you don't see or smell burning oil it may just be a leak?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts