Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2017 Honda Touring (Black on Black) that I purchased new on June 1, 2017 was the first Honda vehicle I have owned. I do not have any of the big issues (oil dilution, heating, etc.) though I did have a few of the minor ones (seat cushion, head unit, etc.) so I have been very happy with the purchased.

So why am I coveting the new 2019 Passport? :headscratch: :temptation:

I purchased the CR-V with the intent of it being my last vehicle (I’m 68) and wanted a vehicle that was thrifty, multipurpose, decent performance, and reliable. Believed the CR-V was the one that would fit those requirements. No regrets.

My previous vehicle was a 2007 Infiniti G35. V6 power and sleek looks – loved that car. So maybe I still crave the V6 power the Passport is offering. Or maybe I like the Passport’s rugged looks. It does look more masculine and has many desirable features including on/off road performance. It does cost more but not a lot more. I of course will need to test drive one when they come out – just to see…

Just rambling out loud. :geezer:

·
Registered
248 Posts
I understand your feeling and look for to replies. I do not think the passport will give a super smooth ride.(?)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am with you on this one. I have a 2017 Touring. Love it, but the Passport could be just the ticket. Not sure about the gas mileage though, but the extra room may help. Can't wait to see and drive one

·
Administrator
3,436 Posts
The Passport is 100% Pilot until you get behind the second row. I miss my Pilot's V6 and space. So I hear your feelings.
Piloteers has a Passport specific section.

·
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
3,135 Posts
Why am I coveting the new 2019 Honda Passport?
It's because, like me, you're a sinner? Just kidding. I am also guilty of scoping out the Passport with my shifty, beady little eyes. Nice. But I'm also old and retired, and got my CR-V for it's fuel economy. So, much as I like the Passport, I will just drool from a distance. My CR-V gets way better mileage than my F250 4X4 with the 460, which is very powerful, and will pass anything except the next gas station. The Cr-V just keeps on passing them and passing them and … I love it! Besides, I have become miserly in my dotage.

·
Registered
2016 CR-V EX-L
152 Posts
I am guilty of taking an extra look at the recently introduced Passport as well!

I picked up a 2016 EX-L nearly a year ago and it has been reliable and meets all my needs but my wife and I really enjoy fishing and have considered getting a small boat. Considering the towing capacity of the CR-V it would need to be a very small boat. The Passport would solve that issue.

We won't be first in line to take the plunge but will be watching from the sidelines to see what the early adopters think of them.

·
Administrator
3,436 Posts
Got to see and sit in the Passport. Some will see it as a shrunken Pilot. Others a grown up CRV. Yet it's similar in size to the first gen Pilot.

Its definitely got a bit of RIdgeline in it to with the extra height it has off the ground.

I like it and might well take a second look at it next time I'm at the dealer.

·
Registered
2016 CR-V EX-L
152 Posts
I am surprised that there are only a few of us that will admit to having an interest in the Passport!

I am anxious to see one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am very curious to see a Passport in person. I am 6'-2", and the CR-V is ever so slightly smaller than what I would have ideally liked. So far, just like the current Pilot, I am not crazy about how it looks though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a huge interest in this new Passport, it's very tempting replacement for my 14 CR-V but it still runs so good, but it looks so good to me, reminds me of my old Nissan Pathfinder I had years back. The MPG is a bit disappointing though, the new Santa Fe is also catching me for some reason.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I like the Passport--we sat in one at the local dealer when my kiddo was getting an airbag inflator replaced. I like the additional ground clearance, which would be perfect for the dirt roads we want to travel in Utah and elsewhere. I'll never need or want a third row seat. I rarely use my second row seats in the CR-Vs now. Seated inside, it didn't feel as big as it looks--I would think it probably drives just as easily. I hope they keep this one around after the next major upgrade to the Pilot.

Not sure if I'm sold on the grille on the front--it has sort of an "aftermarket" look to it, and don't care that it's black. They could have gone with a tougher variation on the Pilot's front end. Not a deal breaker, though.

What I didn't like was the price--no way I can afford one for several years until used prices drop. And, I don't like that the interior only comes in dirt-attracting black, or depressing grey. I drove grey interiors for 33 years and never want another if I can help it. The exterior colors are also very uninspiring--I looked at the choices and couldn't find a single one I liked. It's almost a throwback to Acura's phase of several different shades of dark/dirty grey and little color. I know they're going for some sort of tough guy/macho image here, but c'mon Honda, not all of us like dark colors.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
My 2017 Honda Touring (Black on Black) that I purchased new on June 1, 2017 was the first Honda vehicle I have owned. I do not have any of the big issues (oil dilution, heating, etc.) though I did have a few of the minor ones (seat cushion, head unit, etc.) so I have been very happy with the purchased.

I purchased the CR-V with the intent of it being my last vehicle (I’m 68) and wanted a vehicle that was thrifty, multipurpose, decent performance, and reliable. Believed the CR-V was the one that would fit those requirements. No regrets.

My previous vehicle was a 2007 Infiniti G35. V6 power and sleek looks – loved that car. So maybe I still crave the V6 power the Passport is offering. Or maybe I like the Passport’s rugged looks. It does look more masculine and has many desirable features including on/off road performance. It does cost more but not a lot more. I of course will need to test drive one when they come out – just to see…

Just rambling out loud. :geezer:

i kicked it around for a week but said nope after seeing it.
My daughter gets in nicely with the crv and sidesteps and the passport is too high to not have steps .

its a nice car if your comparing it to OTHER cars based on options and price BUT
when you're comparing it to other honda/acuras its harder.

We came from an rdx then mdx into our crv and its the first (of 15 hondas) i've been super happy with after 2 years... and its paid off already :)

my thoughts on all the honda suvs

HRV entry level suv... great if you're under 6ft tall
CRV alll around performer and good mpg... dont buy if u dont wanna see 230420394 a day
RDX. CRV size ...interior is great & tons of power but big price tag..def will depreciate
Passport .. Pilot Jr for the family that doesnt need the 3rd row and same price as the rdx
Pilot .. i dont wanna drive a mini van and too cheap for an mdx
mdx ... i need 3 row, love loaners and am too cheap for a benz

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I'm wanting a V6, as I'm pretty much done with this 4-cylinder lack of power when I'm out in the mountains. Since I only buy used Hondas now, I tend to look for what I'm willing to pay. I'm pretty much leaning towards the MDX or Pilot for the immediate future, and the Passport might be in a few years once they depreciate. RDX is also a possibility, if the colors weren't so drab. The Passport was envisioned for more active driving, which is why it has more ground clearance than the Pilot. (So it's not just a shortened Pilot, in other words.) Slightly taller tires and a mild lift kit would make this ideal for me. Instead, I'm actually looking at a 4Runner--I am not overly fond of Toyota, but it comes with a V6 and different gearing ranges (Hi and Lo) that are helpful on some of the trails I would like to travel.

·
Registered
248 Posts
i kicked it around for a week but said nope after seeing it.
My daughter gets in nicely with the crv and sidesteps and the passport is too high to not have steps .

its a nice car if your comparing it to OTHER cars based on options and price BUT
when you're comparing it to other honda/acuras its harder.

We came from an rdx then mdx into our crv and its the first (of 15 hondas) i've been super happy with after 2 years... and its paid off already :)

my thoughts on all the honda suvs

HRV entry level suv... great if you're under 6ft tall
CRV alll around performer and good mpg... dont buy if u dont wanna see 230420394 a day
RDX. CRV size ...interior is great & tons of power but big price tag..def will depreciate
Passport .. Pilot Jr for the family that doesnt need the 3rd row and same price as the rdx
Pilot .. i dont wanna drive a mini van and too cheap for an mdx
mdx ... i need 3 row, love loaners and am too cheap for a benz
What is 230420394?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I wonder how much of the chassis is shared with the Ridgeline. We know the Passport is a shortened/lifted Pilot, but I wonder if the lift kits for the Ridgeline would work on a Passport. Reviews on the ROC forum seem favorable for one lift kit in particular, and it's easy to install.

I'm actually looking into used Ridgelines at the moment. I don't care for not having an enclosed rear space like in an SUV (and hate the stigma that goes with owning a pickup truck where I live--it usually means "obnoxious tpye-A urban redneck" and/or "making-up-for-deficiencies elsewhere"), but one attractive feature on the less equipped Ridgeline is that I can replace the radio with an aftermarket in-dash unit. The lift kit and some reasonably grippy tires would make it suitable for the mild off-roading I want to do (basically, the unpaved trails in places like Utah and Colorado), as that would bring the ground clearance close to 10 inches with a suitable approach angle. Used Ridgies are few and far between, though. They have their issues also but, thankfully, avoid the horrible ZF 9-speed automatic that plagues the Pilot and Passport. And it still has the V6, not an anemic turbo-4.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Digging a little more, the Pilot/Ridgeline do share quite a bit, and Traxda makes a two-inch lift kit that will fit either model. (And I presume, the Passport as well.) A two-inch lift would work out well, although it is difficult to find slightly larger all-terrain tires. If I went the Pilot route (most likely), I thought of replacing the grille with one from the Passport, if it fits. (It could be that the bumper cover is different and matches to it, so, it may not be possible.) That would make it somewhat unique out there.

I can also replace the head unit with one of my own, which is one of the bigger selling features for me--Metra makes a dash kit for it, and it fits a standard double-DIN radio. (There are so many complaints about the Honda head unit that I would gladly replace it!)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts