Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have has some really cool mornings (40's) the last couple of days. I had not cranked the Gen 1 for a couple of days until this morning. I turned the key and it started like it always does and ran for maybe 10 seconds or so, then quit. I have not had this happen before, so I tried to RE-START, seems there is no spark or fuel. I pulled the small chamber tube out of throttle body hose and sprayed carb. cleaner but it made no attempt to start. I've never had the dist cap off, I did check fuses for f/pump, igniter, and signal and all were good. I’ve read the suggested tutorial in a recent thread ( 99 won’t start ) and at my age (74) I don’t absorb as I used to, and on top of that I’m OLD SCHOOL. Just hoping someone has run into this same UNANNOUNCED problem and was able to correct it. Timing belt NGK plugs and all belts changed within 6-7 k miles ago.
David g.

·
Registered
490 Posts
My guess if the relay for the fuel pump failed - swap the relay for the horn with the fuel pump one and see if it starts.

The relay are known to fail. I know that relays from 2003 to 2007 were recalled on many Hondas.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Southwind,
I believe you are talking about your 1999 CRV, is that correct? Your profile shows a 2012 CRV.
If it a 99, then: http://www.ehow.com/how_4509219_replace-main-relay-honda-crv.html

If you do pull a spark plug and it is wet, then it is something else. If the spark plug is wet, it will probably be a distributor cap,rotor,ignition coil or an igniter problem.

Going into the city to watch some football. Hope you get it going!!

Buffalo4

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Southwind,
I believe you are talking about your 1999 CRV, is that correct? Your profile shows a 2012 CRV.
If it a 99, then: http://www.ehow.com/how_4509219_replace-main-relay-honda-crv.html

If you do pull a spark plug and it is wet, then it is something else. If the spark plug is wet, it will probably be a distributor cap,rotor,ignition coil or an igniter problem.

Going into the city to watch some football. Hope you get it going!!

Buffalo4
Buffalo4....thanks for heads up on model yaer, I have no clue how that happened, it's a 1997 model. As I mentioned, age is not always effective LOL/
David g.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
I agree with Buffalo4 check the basics 1st. It could be corrosion in the cap & rotor. When you turn the key to the ON position without starting the engine does the CEL shuts off ? Let us know.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree with Buffalo4 check the basics 1st. It could be corrosion in the cap & rotor. When you turn the key to the ON position without starting the engine does the CEL shuts off ? Let us know.
ottoman/Buffalo, thank's so much for walking me through this little HICKUP. I checked the CEL light with just the KEY ON, and was normal as always but goes off when turn to start, and when I frst turned the KEY ON, you could hear the MAIN RELAYS behind the glove box go through normal operation.
Fresh off the press, since my test equipement is limited, I had the tow truck take to my local NAPA Automotive, and just got a call that NO POWER coming from distributor. I guess @ 216k plus miles, it's lasted probably more than most. Sometimes it's best to just bite the bullett and have someone with the right technology put her back on the road for me. Will let you know when I get her back tomorrow. Good day,
David g.

·
Registered
252 Posts
just got a call that NO POWER coming from distributor.
If I recall, the coil pack is built into the distributor housing on the Gen1, so if it's not the cap or rotor then the whole unit gets replaced. Fortunately they are not crazy expensive (around $100). From your original description this sounds like the issue, and they do tend to die "unannounced" like that.

Good luck, keep us informed.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Both the ignition coil and the igniter both just screw into the distributor, but you have to remove the rotor to access them properly. Hopefully it is as simple as one of those two items, or perhaps only a bad rotor and/or cap and not the whole distributor.
It will be interesting to find out what the actual cause was and when Southwind will be getting is CRV back.
Best of luck,
Buffalo4

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Most likely the Igniter gone bad. If they or you decided to replace the whole Distributor be sure you remove & keep the Igniter & Ignition coil with you for back up. Sometimes if get a remanufactured distributor they will ask for the core. I agree with Buffalo4 it would be interesting to see what went bad. Let us know.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!! She's back and running perfect. I didn't question about the distributor, they have always been fair with me and the work they have done on my vehicle's including the motorhome. At 216k plus miles, I can see it's probably best to replace with a NEW one. In by 5 pm yesterday, I picked her up mid afternoon today, where can you get that kind of service. Again, thanks to all who were concerned about my little CRV. As always,
David g.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Glad its back up and running.

Had the samething happen to my 93 Accord when its had 220,000 plus on it. Just quit while driving. Was close enough to home that it rolled all the way home and into the garage. Didnt leave me stranded thank god.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts