Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I love my '17 CR-V, but I'm getting aggrevated at how much grief the service dept. gives me when I request S/W updates. I have an early-production one, so if there's a bug, I have it.

You'd think that a routine part of every service visit would be to plug the car into the shop computer and simply update everything. But no... if you want an update, you can't get it under warranty unless you've actively run into a bug the update fixes, and the tech knows the bug exists. Apparently Honda has never heard of being pro-active and fixing bugs before an individual driver runs into them.

I had to beg to get the p-brake battery fix (didn't hit it yet, but didn't want to be stranded.) I ran into the ACC radar bug, and even when I brought in the TSB, it took 'em two hours, and I have no confidence the fix was installed. The service advisor insisted that the stereo would update itself when connected to WiFi when I asked for an update on general principles (audio clicks, freezes, etc.)

And when I called for an appointment today to get the front camera fix installed, first I got told my car wasn't subject to "the recall", I said there is no recall, but there is a TSB for the front camera, and I have a picture of my car having the symptom. (I got "Auto High Beam Problem). I shouldn't have to take a damn photo, but I've had the "we won't install fixes just because there's a known bug" lecture before.

I also have the "stereo won't dim" bug, so I'm hoping that'll get my stereo updated to something fresher than the initial release.

I can understand why they don't do OTA updates, but they should not make it like pulling teeth to get the shop to update a car.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I think you should try a different dealer.
My dealer attempts to apply any applicable TSBs when I bring them to their attention. Including all those that you mention. Mine is January 2017 Canada built, pretty early.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Count me as number 3 suggesting you try a different Honda dealer, if there's another near you.

If that's the only local Honda dealer then maybe go in and ask to speak to the Service Manager and ask them why they give you grief about updates Honda releases.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
well eiother go to another shop or find some one willing to do it for you move along to another dealer
the four horseman. you been updatedd

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In the waiting room now; gee... apparently the "High Beam Problem", which I have a screenshot of, isn't caused by a known S/W bug, it's caused by my TPMS receiver on the dash. Apparently also triggered by toll tags; you know, those things millions upon millions of people attach to their windshields? What a load of B.S.

I think he'll reluctantly have the tech install the fix, but I'm definitely going direct to Honda corporate if they don't.

I understand service advisers aren't technicians, but they should at least try to avoid actively spreading disinformation.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
In the waiting room now; gee... apparently the "High Beam Problem", which I have a screenshot of, isn't caused by a known S/W bug, it's caused by my TPMS receiver on the dash. Apparently also triggered by toll tags; you know, those things millions upon millions of people attach to their windshields? What a load of B.S.

I think he'll reluctantly have the tech install the fix, but I'm definitely going direct to Honda corporate if they don't.

I understand service advisers aren't technicians, but they should at least try to avoid actively spreading disinformation.

I agree. Total BS! I have seen this error message more than once, and I don't have any toll tags, (whatever they are...LOL) or (aftermarket?) TPMS receivers.

·
Registered
443 Posts

Where do you live and who is your dealer? Them giving you grief is BS, I would be on the phone with a Honda rep ASAP

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I'm home, and the Service Advisor swears they went ahead an updated everything on the car. I wouldn't have any idea how to check the camera F/W version without a Honda scan tool.

In other news, to fix the "Screen Won't Dim" problem, they are replacing the audio unit?!?!? I thought it was a known S/W bug, but whatever.... here's to hoping the new one has the latest F/W version on it when it arrives. Anybody care to share what that current version is?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
In other news, to fix the "Screen Won't Dim" problem, they are replacing the audio unit?!?!? I thought it was a known S/W bug, but whatever.... here's to hoping the new one has the latest F/W version on it when it arrives. Anybody care to share what that current version is?
i brought the HU issue to my serv mgr attention. he said he was aware of the issue and said my VIN was not included - it was earlier builds. if I could get him pics, he would get a new HU ordered. been 2 wks and have not heard from him... but it's on record. btw - i only notice the HU issue after i've driven for a least an hour or more.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Latest I've seen is 1.F1A2.34.
Well, they didn't update the F/W then... I'm still at F193.03, which I believe was the original version. Whatever; if they wanna blow $$$ and replace a piece of hardware instead of just sticking in a damn USB stick like I told them to, I'm tired of arguing with them over it.

Looking at other threads on this topic, Honda will cancel the HU order in a couple days, and they'll summon me in to update the Firmware.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I have given up on Honda updating my radio and GPS. HondaHack was my relef. It has extra memory support and I have updated my GPS to the 2019 version....

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I have given up on Honda updating my radio and GPS. HondaHack was my relef. It has extra memory support and I have updated my GPS to the 2019 version....
i must have missed this... what about the radio and GPS are you waiting on?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry, I'm new here, but not to auto forums. Having your location in your profile is really basic. You all should try to get on that.
In this case, someone local might know of a better dealer or even have a favorite service advisor. Many issues are region related. It matters even if you are super privacy obsessed.ne can be sort of general about it.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Sorry, I'm new here, but not to auto forums. Having your location in your profile is really basic. You all should try to get on that.
In this case, someone local might know of a better dealer or even have a favorite service advisor. Many issues are region related. It matters even if you are super privacy obsessed.ne can be sort of general about it.
I would argue this issue isn't region related. I've experienced the issue during 100F temps and long distance travel at freeway speeds.

I prefer to leave it to the member how much info they want to offer to the data mining overlords.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts