Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 40 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I searched "USB CD Player" on Amazon and came up with several in the low $20 price range. https://www.amazon.com/External-CD-...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

EDIT: I have an old LC portable CD/DVD drive that I use with my laptops that no longer include an optical drive. I just tried it in my CR-V, it works. It is similar to the one I linked here. I cannot confirm that this one will work in your car, but worth a try? Amazon has free returns on most things.
Just because it's a "USB CD Player" doesn't mean it will work in a car, at least in my understanding. Yes, it will get power from the USB, but I don't think the audio will transfer unless the car is specifically set up for that, which I doubt. Correct me if I'm wrong, because that would be nice.

To your edit... so you just plugged the CD drive in via usb and got audio? If that works, that would be very helpful.

My salesman did point out that the car did not have a CD player, after he spotted several dozen CDs in my trade-in, and offered to install one, for what I considered a reasonable price.
But I didn't need it.
If you are paying Sirius $10/month something's wrong. NEVER take their first offer. I'm paying $5/month, after my 3 month free trial. Works out to $45 for the year.
I agree a 3.5 jack would be a nice feature. I don't think it was Honda who made the decision to not have it anymore, that was probably Pioneer, who made the head unit.
I would assume Honda made it since it would most likely be in the middle armrest spot with the other USB inputs.

Never take their first offer? I didn't realize Sirius was willing to negotiate. How did you go about asking them for a lower price?

I have literally my old computer's entire hard drive of MP3s saved to my phone's Samsung player. I also download every song that I buy so I don't have to worry about inferior streaming files that just eat up data.
I did the same exact thing, yes. And the Honda won't play any of the files that aren't at a certain bit rate.

Here's a discussion about it as an example: Playing music from a USB thumb drive - 2019 CR-V EX

Just reading that discussion demonstrates to me how tedious and exhausting this whole issue is for some people. Obviously, a lot of you are fine, but people like me could have been made happy with a 3.5mm jack that was already part of the design of past vehicles and most likely doesn't cost more than $10 to include on a car.

I have a bluetooth module the opposite I plug to my 3.5mm adapter Lol so I can have my smartphone play to the aux.
I would prefer not to use Bluetooth for quality reasons, but also because then I can't have the phone plugged in and being used for other things like navigation.

The link you posted has one review and not much information. But here's a similar link:

And note this quote under it:
Note:
1. Does not work with PS3, TV, Amplifier, CD, Car, Truck, Xbox One, or Audacity. (The USB interface on those devices do not carry audio signal)

My understanding is, like the quote above says, that USB interfaces do not carry audio signal.

Most new phones have no physical audio jack. It's gone. Nothing to do with Sirius (which is also outdated technology limited to North America only) or any other conspiracy. 3.5 mm is gone everywhere just like the CD slots.

There was a member here who bought color coded USB sticks and had specific style of music copied to specific color of stick. Much easier to navigate. Much less hassle than handling delicate compact discs in a car.

Android Auto/Apple Carplay makes it ever simpler to manage and use your music library.

I switched to fully digital in 2006 when I bought a Kenwood Bluetooth head unit for my daily van. It had Bluetooth streaming and USB for mp3/wma. It also had a rear connector for 3.5 mm which I hooked up to an adapter in the front panel I fabricated back then (no Aliexpress) but only used it once to test.

The issue has been beaten to death in this forum but it's fun every time it comes up. Just like oil change topics.
I like the idea of the USB sticks, although it's actually pretty difficult to reach inside the armrest container thing and change them out while driving. It obviously wasn't designed to be manipulated constantly the way CD players were. Anyway, for whatever reason, the Honda software doesn't recognize a lot of the mp3 folders. For example, it might be named "Sting - Ten Summoner's Tales," but the Honda puts it in some other weird spot that isn't alphabetical. So that makes it difficult to search for songs even if they are separated into different sticks. When it was all on my mp3 player, I could easily find what I needed. So now I could just plug my mp3 player into the 3.5mm jack... if it had one.

I realize that new phones don't have physical audio jacks. I have a feeling this has a lot to do with their tendency towards waterproofing everything. But even if not, USB technology is so integrated into smart phones now that it's an easier issue to deal with there. In the car, I can't think of any real reason to get rid of it.

I know you guys are mostly good at technology, but imagine an older person like my mom buying a CRV and trying to implement some of these solutions that seem simple to you. Yes, I get that CD players aren't really included now, but a 3.5mm would open up so many options for so little cost that it makes me assume there must be some other reason afoot than just "it's gone everywhere." Someone like my mom is most likely going to have to just go with Sirius because it's so much easier than any other thing she would be able to implement.

I have Android Auto, and this is an ongoing struggle. I would be totally fine with being all digital if I could easily access my library and quickly find whatever albums and songs I wanted to hear.

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
99.999% of my listening is via USB/thumbdrive. That being said, I think it would have been nice to have a 3.5mm jack as an option as well. I'm not a fan of the UI in my 2020 CRV EXL. I prefer the UI in my 2019 Accord EXL Much more.

What bothers me more than a missing 3.5mm jack, however, is that there are no courtesy door lights! :mad: Effing weak sauce Honda!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
So I had a thought....and promptly discovered it wouldn't work. That was using a computer external CD drive plugged into the USB port. Apparently that's a no go due to driver needs.

However googling external CD drives for cars came up with dozens of options on amazon of all places with no external driver needed.

Give it a go and let us know if it works.
Can you show me an example of one of the links?

And honestly, what I want is not a CD player, but a 3.5mm input. That would give me the option not only to use a CD player, but to use mp3 players and any other audio inputs I chose to use.

99.999% of my listening is via USB/thumbdrive. That being said, I think it would have been nice to have a 3.5mm jack as an option as well. I'm not a fan of the UI in my 2020 CRV EXL. I prefer the UI in my 2019 Accord EXL Much more.

What bothers me more than a missing 3.5mm jack, however, is that there are no courtesy door lights! :mad: Effing weak sauce Honda!
Heh heh. The door lights don't bother me, but I do like how the doors on Mustangs put a picture of a Mustang on the ground when you open the door.

But yeah, that's all I'm saying. I'm not saying other people aren't finding solutions they're happy with. I'm saying I'm not finding solutions I'm happy with, and I probably represent a fairly large demographic of customers. And they could have solved my issue by leaving in a 3.5mm jack that I doubt costs more than $10 to include.

And you're right, the UI is pretty terrible. No second knob to make easy EQ and balance adjustments. Everything through the not-so-sensitive touch screen.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I would prefer not to use Bluetooth for quality reasons, but also because then I can't have the phone plugged in and being used for other things like navigation.
I'm not aware of quality concerns of BT...heck even my non tech friends have never complained about a 3.5 mm jack or CD player. Just about everyone I know simply connects their phone via bt and listens to music that has been downloaded on their phones or through a streaming service via their phone. My concern is that Car play and AA on the CR-V is not wireless.
Btw I'm not seeing CD players or 3.5mm Jack's on much these days.
Heck, my IPhone doesn't even have a 3.5 mm out so what good would it do unless you spend $50 for a dongle.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
If you're dead set on needing a CD player, THIS one should work. If it doesn't for some reason, just return it for free. It's what I would try if I really felt I couldn't live without one.

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Touring 2WD
432 Posts
Never take their first offer? I didn't realize Sirius was willing to negotiate. How did you go about asking them for a lower price?
Trust me, Sirius XM will negotiate. In fact if you call to cancel you won't have to initiate the negotiation. They will accept $60 a year plus royalty fees. All total ~$73.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,113 Posts
Trust me, Sirius XM will negotiate. In fact if you call to cancel you won't have to initiate the negotiation. They will accept $60 a year plus royalty fees. All total ~$73.
YEP! I have used SiriusXM for years, and never paid more than $5/mo on a yearly plan.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
3,796 Posts
I didn't have to negotiate. I just kept ignoring their messages, each one with a lower price, until it got to $5.
My brother had advised me to do this, he recently bought a new truck.
I do like Sirius. We have areas around here with no FM reception.

·
Registered
2017 Honda CR-V EX-L AWD, 2020 Honda Pilot EX-L AWD
27 Posts
And honestly, what I want is not a CD player, but a 3.5mm input. That would give me the option not only to use a CD player, but to use mp3 players and any other audio inputs I chose to use.
What kind of MP3 players do you have in mind?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
BT quality is just fine.

Reactions: agentl074

·
Read Only
2 Posts
I would prefer to have a CD player as an option, but I kind of understand why many car manufacturers are getting rid of them. What I do not get is the absence of a 3.5 mm input jack. It's very cheap, it's simple, and is not going to break easily, and if it does it would not be $500.00 to fix.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,113 Posts
I would prefer to have a CD player as an option, but I kind of understand why many car manufacturers are getting rid of them. What I do not get is the absence of a 3.5 mm input jack. It's very cheap, it's simple, and is not going to break easily, and if it does it would not be $500.00 to fix.
I am not an electronics wizard, but somehow, I think it is more than just adding the 3.5mm jack. The audio system must have to be able to decipher the analog signals that would come from the audio jack????

Anyone with the electronics knowledge care to advise?

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I am not an electronics wizard, but somehow, I think it is more than just adding the 3.5mm jack. The audio system must have to be able to decipher the analog signals that would come from the audio jack????

Every single car radio amplifier knows how to "decipher" the analog signal. The issue is to be able to switch the head unit to the aux source, ie turn off others.

Reactions: Mike728

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts

I know a little, I'm a retired TV engineer, but to be honest some of these automotive I/T systems baffle me at times.
You are correct, it's not just the 3.5 that's lacking, it's an analog input. That costs more than a 15-cent jack.
Thinking about it...

You can get a USB "Sound Card" that adapts analog in and out to digital USB, the A/D and D/A are inside the unit.

Plug this into a USB port, presto, analog input and output.
I have a couple of these but I lent them out, I'll fetch them back and see if they work.
I'm sure I can make them work, the question is would I need to load drivers for them, which would restrict its use to those willing to root.
I'm guessing no, as they work on an Android phone (with appropriate adapters) without additional drivers.
But I'll definitely report back, this could be a good answer.

Edit, later: Nope, not that easy. An app running on the head unit sees it, but the car doesn't.
Back to the drawing board, there has to be an answer to this.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
Reactions: alexb757

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Doesn't look "simple" (or cheap) to me.
I'm trying for the $7 solution. :)
Well yeah, you are able to solder the aux cable to the head unit's preamp contacts, most are not.

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
Well yeah, you are able to solder the aux cable to the head unit's preamp contacts, most are not.
I'd want to have a buffer amp to match the impedance and protect the head unit, not solder direct. :)
I really think the USB adapter is the answer, I'll keep at it.

21 - 40 of 128 Posts