Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 128 Posts

·
Read Only
2 Posts
Doesn't look "simple" (or cheap) to me.
I'm trying for the $7 solution. :)
An A/D converter, if it is designed into the whole "infotainment computer" from the get-go, is not much more than a chip that costs a dollar or two wholesale. Along with the jack itself, and the wiring, and the mounting hardware + labor it probably is going to be a $7.00 solution - if mass-manufactured, of course.

It is also quite possible that the motherboard of the "infotainment computer" is a standard design that already has an A/D converter for the benefit of those car makers who want to use it.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
3,730 Posts
An A/D converter, if it is designed into the whole "infotainment computer" from the get-go, is not much more than a chip that costs a dollar or two wholesale. Along with the jack itself, and the wiring, and the mounting hardware + labor it probably is going to be a $7.00 solution - if mass-manufactured, of course.

It is also quite possible that the motherboard of the "infotainment computer" is a standard design that already has an A/D converter for the benefit of those car makers who want to use it.
That's my point, it IS mass produced, for about $7. Plugs into any USB jack.
The operating system sees it, which makes sense as it's standard 1.0 USB audio, which any Android implementation understands.
The problem is to get the car to recognize it as a source.
Even the manual seems to suggest there can be problems with USB devices, suggesting you try multiple times or try rebooting if a flash drive or iPod doesn't work at first.
There are threads on this issue here that go back to 2017. Sure would be nice to get a solution.

Reactions: TheDarkKnight

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,093 Posts
Every single car radio amplifier knows how to "decipher" the analog signal. The issue is to be able to switch the head unit to the aux source, ie turn off others.
Interesting....A friend of mine bought a new 2019 Lincoln MKC. He was also surprised/disappointed that it didn't have a 3.5mm audio jack. He shopped for and bought an adaptor that he thought would allow him to plug in his mp3 player (brand/age unknown) into the USB port that was designed for audio input. From what he told me, it didn't work. I thought he said it had to do with the analog signal the mp3 player output....but this doesn't make sense as the mp3 is already digital. I dunno! LOL

·
Registered
1,122 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
BT quality is just fine.
Bluetooth used to suck in terms of fidelity, but the latest technology is as good as wired. It's kinda like how wireless mikes in the 90s sucked, but today, you can't tell the difference between wired and wireless. Technology always catches up at some point :) I remember when live sound consoles were starting to go digital... I was like... what? Now, digital is every bit as good as analog -- at least with Midas consoles.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
3,730 Posts
Bluetooth used to suck in terms of fidelity, but the latest technology is as good as wired. It's kinda like how wireless mikes in the 90s sucked, but today, you can't tell the difference between wired and wireless. Technology always catches up at some point :)
Yeah, I'm starting to think a bluetooth transceiver is the answer.
I think most folks here understand that the FM modulators are a last-ditch solution.
But, I'm wondering about an HD radio modulator, for those with I/T systems that can receive HD radio.
As you said, BT is pretty good today, but HD radio would technically be even better quality.
The problem seems to be HD radio modulators/exciters cost more than a new Head Unit.

Reactions: agentl074

·
Premium Member
2021 CRV EX-L
485 Posts
As an aside, I had a CD player and a 3.5 mm jack in my 2014 Civic. I never used either, not even once. I just streamed via bluetooth when I wanted to hear music. I had the Google Play Music app. That has since been rolled into YouTube Music and I dropped the subscription a long time ago. I also have Amazon Prime which gives me access to music. Note, these options use data.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
And require reception?
Only if streaming the music. You can download music from the apps while at home and play them back without being connected to the internet. They can only be played through the app, as to not violate any copyright laws.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought a new Honda CRV 2018 a couple of years ago. I want to explain a couple of things to help future customers avoid what I’ve gone through with it.

So… there’s no CD player. Now, I understand technology well enough, and I get that CD players are becoming less and less useful these days. That said, I believe that since so many people still do use them, any salesman should tell you before you buy a new vehicle that there isn’t one there. It’s not something everyone thinks to check. I hadn’t bought a vehicle in over 10 years, and I didn’t think to look for this on the test drive.

But let’s move on from that… without a CD player, how are we expected to listen to music? Well, Honda certainly has an idea… you can simply pay Sirius XM $10 or more a month ($120/yr) and hear the styles of music you want, although not the exact songs you want. They encourage this by giving you 3 free months of Sirius when you buy the car. But I don’t really want to spend that much money on stations that don’t even play the exact songs I want to hear, and plus I already own most of the songs I want to listen to, and I like to listen to full albums the way they were created to be heard, not jump from album to album.

Another option is to listen to music using your cell data… this is lower audio quality, plus it uses up your cell data (for those of us who don’t have unlimited plans). So I didn’t really like that option. In most cases, that also leads to listening to various songs rather than specific songs as well.

But here’s what really, really gets me. Honda didn’t include a 3.5mm jack. That might have cost… I don’t know, $5 to put in there? Maybe $10? And that would allow anyone to physically hook up whatever they wanted to, such as a CD player, and mp3 player, or literally any kind of audio source that they chose.

These 3.5mm inputs were standard on cars for many years. And they are still obviously extremely useful, especially considering the benefit-to-cost ratio. The huge benefits to customers for spending maybe $10 adding a little audio jack to a car would surely be worth it for a company that cares about its customers.

So why would Honda remove this? I can only think of one reason… they have a relationship with Sirius, and they benefit financially every time someone pays Sirius through a Honda account. Someone please correct me if you can think of any other reason that the 3.5mm input is not included on this vehicle.

So to me, this is just one more example of corporations caring about dollars far more than they care about customers. A quick Google search will show you how much frustration this issue has caused customers, and I would say it has caused me huge amounts of frustration as well. Including a 3.5mm input would have solved this problem for countless people. The fact that they removed it makes me feel that they care about me for one reason: my pocketbook. And spending $30,000 isn’t enough. They want to keep taking money from me as much as possible.

I did come back and ask my salesman about this issue. He said, “Oh, it’s no problem. You just put all your songs on your phone and tell your phone which songs to play.” Sounds easy, right? Again, I work with technology pretty extensively in my field, so I tried this, and found it very, very frustrating. First of all, Google doesn’t find the song half the time you ask for it. For another thing, apparently Hondas have some limitation so that they don’t play files that are higher quality than 192kbps. Or something like that, I don’t even remember now. The point is, I tried it, and it wouldn’t play half of my library because of this limitation. So I might be able to hear songs from one album I loaded onto my phone, but not another album.

So… yeah, I guess I could go in and reformat my entire mp3 library. Or I could pay for a service I don’t want like Sirius and still not hear the songs I want to hear. Or I could use my cellular data, which is limited, and end up paying my cell company more. OR Honda could have spent $10 to include a 3.5mm audio input and made me and countless other customers happy.

But they didn’t. Which makes me wonder how many other things they approach from that mentality.

Frankly, the listening experience in every previous vehicle has been far superior to this one. Remember when there was that other knob on the right so that you could adjust bass, treble, and put the music in the front or back to your taste? Yeah, that’s gone too. You have to physically touch through several menus to find this every single time. And the touch screen isn’t very sensitive. They just took that knob off.

I have owned Hondas since 2000, but this may be my last one.
Money is always the bottom line. Look at the most popular pain colors, white, sonic gray, red. They cost $395 more per vehicle this year than last. To me that is all about $$. The customer is second.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I bought a new Honda CRV 2018 a couple of years ago. I want to explain a couple of things to help future customers avoid what I’ve gone through with it.

So… there’s no CD player. Now, I understand technology well enough, and I get that CD players are becoming less and less useful these days. That said, I believe that since so many people still do use them, any salesman should tell you before you buy a new vehicle that there isn’t one there. It’s not something everyone thinks to check. I hadn’t bought a vehicle in over 10 years, and I didn’t think to look for this on the test drive.

But let’s move on from that… without a CD player, how are we expected to listen to music? Well, Honda certainly has an idea… you can simply pay Sirius XM $10 or more a month ($120/yr) and hear the styles of music you want, although not the exact songs you want. They encourage this by giving you 3 free months of Sirius when you buy the car. But I don’t really want to spend that much money on stations that don’t even play the exact songs I want to hear, and plus I already own most of the songs I want to listen to, and I like to listen to full albums the way they were created to be heard, not jump from album to album.

Another option is to listen to music using your cell data… this is lower audio quality, plus it uses up your cell data (for those of us who don’t have unlimited plans). So I didn’t really like that option. In most cases, that also leads to listening to various songs rather than specific songs as well.

But here’s what really, really gets me. Honda didn’t include a 3.5mm jack. That might have cost… I don’t know, $5 to put in there? Maybe $10? And that would allow anyone to physically hook up whatever they wanted to, such as a CD player, and mp3 player, or literally any kind of audio source that they chose.

These 3.5mm inputs were standard on cars for many years. And they are still obviously extremely useful, especially considering the benefit-to-cost ratio. The huge benefits to customers for spending maybe $10 adding a little audio jack to a car would surely be worth it for a company that cares about its customers.

So why would Honda remove this? I can only think of one reason… they have a relationship with Sirius, and they benefit financially every time someone pays Sirius through a Honda account. Someone please correct me if you can think of any other reason that the 3.5mm input is not included on this vehicle.

So to me, this is just one more example of corporations caring about dollars far more than they care about customers. A quick Google search will show you how much frustration this issue has caused customers, and I would say it has caused me huge amounts of frustration as well. Including a 3.5mm input would have solved this problem for countless people. The fact that they removed it makes me feel that they care about me for one reason: my pocketbook. And spending $30,000 isn’t enough. They want to keep taking money from me as much as possible.

I did come back and ask my salesman about this issue. He said, “Oh, it’s no problem. You just put all your songs on your phone and tell your phone which songs to play.” Sounds easy, right? Again, I work with technology pretty extensively in my field, so I tried this, and found it very, very frustrating. First of all, Google doesn’t find the song half the time you ask for it. For another thing, apparently Hondas have some limitation so that they don’t play files that are higher quality than 192kbps. Or something like that, I don’t even remember now. The point is, I tried it, and it wouldn’t play half of my library because of this limitation. So I might be able to hear songs from one album I loaded onto my phone, but not another album.

So… yeah, I guess I could go in and reformat my entire mp3 library. Or I could pay for a service I don’t want like Sirius and still not hear the songs I want to hear. Or I could use my cellular data, which is limited, and end up paying my cell company more. OR Honda could have spent $10 to include a 3.5mm audio input and made me and countless other customers happy.

But they didn’t. Which makes me wonder how many other things they approach from that mentality.

Frankly, the listening experience in every previous vehicle has been far superior to this one. Remember when there was that other knob on the right so that you could adjust bass, treble, and put the music in the front or back to your taste? Yeah, that’s gone too. You have to physically touch through several menus to find this every single time. And the touch screen isn’t very sensitive. They just took that knob off.

usb or bluetooth

·
Registered
323 Posts
No point. BT exceeds all possible in car use requirements in terms of bitrate and -depth.

From Headphonesty:

View attachment 145798
The "Max" bitrate and sampling frequency that BT is CAPABLE of is different from what lots of devices USE. Nor do all devices support apt, or even AAC or LDAC, CODECs, for that matter. The reason many of us think BT audio quality can be quite poor is that particular combinations DO SOUND TERRIBLE not that IT COULD SOUND SO MUCH BETTER IF ONLY...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2015 CRV LX. It has a 3.5mm jack and a USB jack in the console. I don't care about the 3.5mm jack because it's not very useful, but I have a flash drive with my music plugged into the USB port and that works perfectly well to let me play what I want. I can pick the albums with the controls on the accessory display and even pick which song I want to play. Better than plugging in a CD player or even a phone. I only wish it had a USB jack or two on the dash to charge my devices and to play back music! I think the higher trim models had the dash USB jack. No 3.5mm jack? No problem.

·
Registered
2018 CRV EX L
25 Posts

What did you expect for 30K? lol (I bought the 2018 also)
I have loads of music on my iPhone and have many different playlist that I put together to fit my mood I can choose from but I mostly just shuffle the songs so its ALMOST like listening to my favorite radio station but only my favorite songs are played. Of course this is all done via the bluetooth feature as I very rarely use the Appleplay option. You could pick up a cheap discontinued iPhone or a cheap iPod and do the same thing. I have a drawer full of iPods & iPhones I've collected over the years and they ALL have my music on them. Works great for me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes, I did put all my music on a flash drive. All 30 gigs. So when I am looking for a particular album, I have to scroll through literally hundreds of albums while also trying to focus on driving. Many of them don't alphabetize accurately either, so it's not even as simple as scrolling through hundreds alphabetically.

Believe me, I've tried it all. But I am open to anything I haven't tried if there happens to be some magical solution out there.

More to the point, why do you think they didn't include a simple 3.5mm jack to allow external devices to easily be plugged in?

I am interested in a USB compatible player, yes, but I haven't seen any that are (a) affordable or (b) reliable. Please post one if you know of one.
I think i put my wifes files in folders, by album, that way at least it lets you scroll through the albums (folder names) then the tracks (mp3 files).

41 - 60 of 128 Posts