Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
81 - 100 of 128 Posts

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
4,879 Posts
Don't hate on us old-school guys! Even vinyl has a strong following. New is not necessarily better. Just because the manufacturer is pushing it (or deleting it) does not mean it is for the better. GDI has it's own issues, CVT transmissions has issues. Remember when the donut spare tire came out. Do you like shifting with a knob? Remember when R12 was replaced? Do you like traditional metal parts being replaced with plastic?
I'm an "old guy" and I love and embrace technology. Vinyl, 8 tracks, cassettes, CDs.. I had them all. I had shelves full of vinyl records, many I copied to cassette...I remember having large cases full with cassettes in the car and having to fumble through them (while driving) to open and load the one I wanted. Then smaller carrying devices for CDs. Digital is the easiest and best way I have ever listened to music. XM does have less quality, but it is fine for me. I don't get into the bit rates and such, I just enjoy music. And, as has been said, as well as in the car, I can listen to XM at home, or on my phone while walking in the desert!

Reactions: agentl074

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
When I listen to legal downloads on my Samsung music app, I use DSP and I am able to get pretty decent sound -- CD quality. I just love it when people have arguments over canned (recorded) music. You'll never get quality as good as a live show or being there in the recording studio ;)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Is it Bluetooth comparable? They probably expect you to link up with an outside source via Bluetooth. If I was dumping $30K on a car I would not wait for a desperate tell me anything. Prior to shopping I'd have a huge list. Does it come with a spare tire? Some don't these days. Self serviceability is paramount for me. I'd I can't see the alternator or power steering pump, if I can't find the battery, if I have to drop the flimsy belly pan to get to filter and oil plug. Bye bye. I keep cars for 20+ years, currently I have never be
en to a mechanic to have them do it wrong. If more folks rejected Dealer maintainability then these manufacturers would have get their designers to make cars serviceable. Right now, they pride themselves on forcing you to go back to them.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Is it Bluetooth comparable? They probably expect you to link up with an outside source via Bluetooth. If I was dumping $30K on a car I would not wait for a desperate tell me anything. Prior to shopping I'd have a huge list. Does it come with a spare tire? Some don't these days. Self serviceability is paramount for me....
Is Bluetooth comparable? These days, yes... absolutely! You will have to download the songs to your phone or gadget that can broadcast Bluetooth to the head unit. Does the CR-V come with a spare tire? Yes... it's under the cargo cover. Can you self service? Yes... but you'll have to watch some YouTube videos for some things. They try to make it harder for a non ASE technician to do things, but it can be done. Most things are pretty easy to locate and access.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
3,254 Posts
Is Bluetooth comparable? These days, yes... absolutely! You will have to download the songs to your phone or gadget that can broadcast Bluetooth to the head unit. Does the CR-V come with a spare tire? Yes... it's under the cargo cover. Can you self service? Yes... but you'll have to watch some YouTube videos for some things. They try to make it harder for a non ASE technician to do things, but it can be done. Most things are pretty easy to locate and access.
The 1.5T does come with a spare, the hybrid does not.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
That's great, but the CD listening guys (based on this forum) are all about "quality" and usually oppose Bluetooth due to imaginary low quality.
Exactly. The amount of digital compression from the latest BT radio is insignificant. Tests have proven the latest Blue Tooth radio capability as exceeding standard 16 bit/44kHz format.

Reactions: TheDarkKnight

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought a new Honda CRV 2018 a couple of years ago. I want to explain a couple of things to help future customers avoid what I’ve gone through with it.

So… there’s no CD player. Now, I understand technology well enough, and I get that CD players are becoming less and less useful these days. That said, I believe that since so many people still do use them, any salesman should tell you before you buy a new vehicle that there isn’t one there. It’s not something everyone thinks to check. I hadn’t bought a vehicle in over 10 years, and I didn’t think to look for this on the test drive.

But let’s move on from that… without a CD player, how are we expected to listen to music? Well, Honda certainly has an idea… you can simply pay Sirius XM $10 or more a month ($120/yr) and hear the styles of music you want, although not the exact songs you want. They encourage this by giving you 3 free months of Sirius when you buy the car. But I don’t really want to spend that much money on stations that don’t even play the exact songs I want to hear, and plus I already own most of the songs I want to listen to, and I like to listen to full albums the way they were created to be heard, not jump from album to album.

Another option is to listen to music using your cell data… this is lower audio quality, plus it uses up your cell data (for those of us who don’t have unlimited plans). So I didn’t really like that option. In most cases, that also leads to listening to various songs rather than specific songs as well.

But here’s what really, really gets me. Honda didn’t include a 3.5mm jack. That might have cost… I don’t know, $5 to put in there? Maybe $10? And that would allow anyone to physically hook up whatever they wanted to, such as a CD player, and mp3 player, or literally any kind of audio source that they chose.

These 3.5mm inputs were standard on cars for many years. And they are still obviously extremely useful, especially considering the benefit-to-cost ratio. The huge benefits to customers for spending maybe $10 adding a little audio jack to a car would surely be worth it for a company that cares about its customers.

So why would Honda remove this? I can only think of one reason… they have a relationship with Sirius, and they benefit financially every time someone pays Sirius through a Honda account. Someone please correct me if you can think of any other reason that the 3.5mm input is not included on this vehicle.

So to me, this is just one more example of corporations caring about dollars far more than they care about customers. A quick Google search will show you how much frustration this issue has caused customers, and I would say it has caused me huge amounts of frustration as well. Including a 3.5mm input would have solved this problem for countless people. The fact that they removed it makes me feel that they care about me for one reason: my pocketbook. And spending $30,000 isn’t enough. They want to keep taking money from me as much as possible.

I did come back and ask my salesman about this issue. He said, “Oh, it’s no problem. You just put all your songs on your phone and tell your phone which songs to play.” Sounds easy, right? Again, I work with technology pretty extensively in my field, so I tried this, and found it very, very frustrating. First of all, Google doesn’t find the song half the time you ask for it. For another thing, apparently Hondas have some limitation so that they don’t play files that are higher quality than 192kbps. Or something like that, I don’t even remember now. The point is, I tried it, and it wouldn’t play half of my library because of this limitation. So I might be able to hear songs from one album I loaded onto my phone, but not another album.

So… yeah, I guess I could go in and reformat my entire mp3 library. Or I could pay for a service I don’t want like Sirius and still not hear the songs I want to hear. Or I could use my cellular data, which is limited, and end up paying my cell company more. OR Honda could have spent $10 to include a 3.5mm audio input and made me and countless other customers happy.

But they didn’t. Which makes me wonder how many other things they approach from that mentality.

Frankly, the listening experience in every previous vehicle has been far superior to this one. Remember when there was that other knob on the right so that you could adjust bass, treble, and put the music in the front or back to your taste? Yeah, that’s gone too. You have to physically touch through several menus to find this every single time. And the touch screen isn’t very sensitive. They just took that knob off.

I have owned Hondas since 2000, but this may be my last one.
Hey, there are free software on the internet that lets you sort files and I believe even by recoding artist. The one I used; I did the sorting before transferring to the flash drive.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bought a new Honda CRV 2018 a couple of years ago. I want to explain a couple of things to help future customers avoid what I’ve gone through with it.

So… there’s no CD player. Now, I understand technology well enough, and I get that CD players are becoming less and less useful these days. That said, I believe that since so many people still do use them, any salesman should tell you before you buy a new vehicle that there isn’t one there. It’s not something everyone thinks to check. I hadn’t bought a vehicle in over 10 years, and I didn’t think to look for this on the test drive.

But let’s move on from that… without a CD player, how are we expected to listen to music? Well, Honda certainly has an idea… you can simply pay Sirius XM $10 or more a month ($120/yr) and hear the styles of music you want, although not the exact songs you want. They encourage this by giving you 3 free months of Sirius when you buy the car. But I don’t really want to spend that much money on stations that don’t even play the exact songs I want to hear, and plus I already own most of the songs I want to listen to, and I like to listen to full albums the way they were created to be heard, not jump from album to album.

Another option is to listen to music using your cell data… this is lower audio quality, plus it uses up your cell data (for those of us who don’t have unlimited plans). So I didn’t really like that option. In most cases, that also leads to listening to various songs rather than specific songs as well.

But here’s what really, really gets me. Honda didn’t include a 3.5mm jack. That might have cost… I don’t know, $5 to put in there? Maybe $10? And that would allow anyone to physically hook up whatever they wanted to, such as a CD player, and mp3 player, or literally any kind of audio source that they chose.

These 3.5mm inputs were standard on cars for many years. And they are still obviously extremely useful, especially considering the benefit-to-cost ratio. The huge benefits to customers for spending maybe $10 adding a little audio jack to a car would surely be worth it for a company that cares about its customers.

So why would Honda remove this? I can only think of one reason… they have a relationship with Sirius, and they benefit financially every time someone pays Sirius through a Honda account. Someone please correct me if you can think of any other reason that the 3.5mm input is not included on this vehicle.

So to me, this is just one more example of corporations caring about dollars far more than they care about customers. A quick Google search will show you how much frustration this issue has caused customers, and I would say it has caused me huge amounts of frustration as well. Including a 3.5mm input would have solved this problem for countless people. The fact that they removed it makes me feel that they care about me for one reason: my pocketbook. And spending $30,000 isn’t enough. They want to keep taking money from me as much as possible.

I did come back and ask my salesman about this issue. He said, “Oh, it’s no problem. You just put all your songs on your phone and tell your phone which songs to play.” Sounds easy, right? Again, I work with technology pretty extensively in my field, so I tried this, and found it very, very frustrating. First of all, Google doesn’t find the song half the time you ask for it. For another thing, apparently Hondas have some limitation so that they don’t play files that are higher quality than 192kbps. Or something like that, I don’t even remember now. The point is, I tried it, and it wouldn’t play half of my library because of this limitation. So I might be able to hear songs from one album I loaded onto my phone, but not another album.

So… yeah, I guess I could go in and reformat my entire mp3 library. Or I could pay for a service I don’t want like Sirius and still not hear the songs I want to hear. Or I could use my cellular data, which is limited, and end up paying my cell company more. OR Honda could have spent $10 to include a 3.5mm audio input and made me and countless other customers happy.

But they didn’t. Which makes me wonder how many other things they approach from that mentality.

Frankly, the listening experience in every previous vehicle has been far superior to this one. Remember when there was that other knob on the right so that you could adjust bass, treble, and put the music in the front or back to your taste? Yeah, that’s gone too. You have to physically touch through several menus to find this every single time. And the touch screen isn’t very sensitive. They just took that knob off.

It does not use your cell data. It is bluetooth. If anything it just uses battery, but so what, you can just plug in, or get a wireless charger.

Just put a USB stick in. Drag and drop files in it from your computer. I prob have 100 hours of music in mine right now.

CDs are obsolete. I ripped all of mine and sent them to a recycling center. The thought of placing a disc in for 10-15 songs seems archaic now.

·
Super Moderator
3,254 Posts
It does not use your cell data. It is bluetooth. If anything it just uses battery, but so what, you can just plug in...
Let's see...
You go with bluetooth because it's "wireless".
But it drains the battery.
So you solve this problem by using what?
A "wire".
Am I missing something here? :)
We have managed to replace a wire with about 250,000 transistors.
The really crazy thing is those 250,000 transistors probably cost less than the wire.
CDs are obsolete, but so are LPs, and they sell a lot of those.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Let's see...
You go with bluetooth because it's "wireless".
So you solve this problem by using what?
A "wire".
Am I missing something here? :)
We have managed to replace a wire with about 250,000 transistors.
The really crazy thing is those 250,000 transistors probably cost less than the wire.
CDs are obsolete, but so are LPs, and they sell a lot of those.
You can't charge a phone with a 3.5mm jack. You can use a wireless charger though. The suits at Honda couldn't justify the cost of a CD player that more than half of drivers will never use.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Well, it doesn't really. The energy consumption of new Bluetooth versions is almost inexistent. It turns down the radio power to bare minimum when close to the other end and goes to deep sleep when not in use.

·
Super Moderator
3,254 Posts
Well, it doesn't really. The energy consumption of new Bluetooth versions is almost inexistent. It turns down the radio power to bare minimum when close to the other end and goes to deep sleep when not in use.
Just being a bit tongue in cheek, sorry.
I can't imagine BT would not be adequate for any car audio situation, unless the car was stationary and in an anechoic chamber.
I'm wondering if the head unit doesn't have an analog input because they don't want anything "going around" active noise cancellation or fake engine sounds, both of which presumably happen in the digital domain. ???

·
Registered
18 Posts
You're Right, it is minimal relative to the radio power that a phone uses to communicate and switch between cell towers, even when you are not talking on the phone.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Just being a bit tongue in cheek, sorry.
I know YOU know (being a TV professional). I picked up the thought to direct the joke back to the correct path.

I don't think losing the 3.5 mm is a noise cancelling issue. It's just a garage sale of the mobile audio world.

·
Registered
2013 CR-V EX-L
18 Posts
I would suggest that you just buy a bluetooth MP3 player.
You can find them from $40 - $200, depending on the options, and what else it does.

The quality of your bluetooth playback in your car should be just fine - it's 2020, and the technology is pretty good.
Also, we're talking about listening to music in your Honda - not through the sound system at your house. I doubt you'll notice any difference in the car between Bluetooth and the old 3.5mm audio jack. I'm fine with the idea of keeping a high quality master - I'm a photographer, and I don't throw things online, then go delete my originals - but there's a time and a place for the originals, and a time and a place for the lower-quality web version.

Also, I'd love to invite you into the world of custom playlists. Unlike a CD, you don't have to listen to the full album at once! You have the freedom to add any song you want, to any playlist you want. Or you can listen to the the whole album through - the point is, you can do whatever you want with playlists. (And many/most MP3 players will let you do it on the player, not just on your computer.) I drive halfway across the country once a year to visit friends/family - my playlist last year (just tossing in whatever I'd listened to that was interesting) was 12 HOURS long. If I didn't feel like listening to a song, I just got skipped. Pretty much the only rule was that driving through Chicago, we had to listen to the Blue Brothers sound track.

Since you have the CDs, it will take a little while to import them into your computer / onto the MP3 player, but there's no subscription fees or any other maintenance fees to deal with. You also don't have to lug around a giant binder of CDs anymore. (My music library is somewhere around 8,000 songs - so it would be a giant binder of CDs.) Also, while it might take a little while to set up your MP3 player, once you do, you can take it with you - and play it in a friends car, or on any system that has a bluetooth music connection.

I can't really mourn the loss of the analog audio jack. If I wanted to play back music from a wired connection on my phone, I'd just use the USB port - it's a digital file on my USB player anyways. (But I have bluetooth, so I use that instead.)

·
Super Moderator
3,254 Posts
You're Right, it is minimal relative to the radio power that a phone uses to communicate and switch between cell towers, even when you are not talking on the phone.
BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) is even more frugal, but it has like no bandwidth, but even it should be adequate for audio, about a megabit (in theory).
I think we're getting dangerously close to OT here though.

Reactions: patruns

·
Registered
3 Posts

I downloaded all my CD's to my 2013 ipod touch and just leave it in the car plugged into the USB port inside the center console drawer. The ipod has different music than my iphone and I can use them both when I drive. The phone connects through bluetooth or carplay for music and calls, so they are both available at the same time. I use a wired connection for both and change the device through the scroll bar on the steering wheel. Has worked well for me.

81 - 100 of 128 Posts