Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
101 - 120 of 128 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,166 Posts
I find it funny, b/c our 2020 toyota has a 3.5mm jack right under the usb port but this is todays technology wanting newer ports

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
One reason I dislike newer cars is because I can't install an aftermarket head unit. Bluetooth sounds like ass, and SiriusXM sound quality has degraded to the point where it sounds like it's being played underwater. (I wasn an early XM adopter, and subscribed up until Sirius took over and ruined it.) MP3 and WMA have never had a place in my life.

Correction on a note above--bluetooth is lossy. Always has been, always will be. Lossy means it's compressing (throwing away) data to decrease the bitrate to something that can be transmitted over what is essentially a private wireless network, which is what bluetooth is defined as. AptX was a codec that was supposed to improve on bluetooth sound quality. Yet even the AptX HD spec can only deliver a maximum bitrate of 576kbps. Pure lossless CD-rate digital (16-bit/44.1kHz) works out to about 1mbps, so bluetooth can't even deliver a minimum acceptable data rate for the lowest common denominator of digital. And AptX isn't even available on a certain fruit-named smartphone, at least not natively. So it's irrelevant to have "improved" bluetooth in a head unit if the sending device doesn't support it.

My current Pioneer head unit can play lossless FLAC files up to 24-bit/192kHz, and newer models can also play DSD files. I have hundreds of albums in the latter format on my music server at home, and probably over a thousand at greater than CD resolution in PCM format. (I can downconvert but, why should I?) Given that many of the online streaming services have offered lossless streaming for a while (Qobuz, Tidal) and others joining it (Amazon HD, Deezer, and Spotify in the near future apparently), it would make sense for the manufacturers of OEM head units to offer better USB playback with lossless FLAC file capability and the ability to properly sort and display folders. It's not rocket science.

And no, I don't get into the conspiracy theories in the first post... 🙄 None of that happens in reality.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Why did we do away with tube tires.
I want 10W30 oil that has to be changed every 1000 miles.
Plugs and points with a 4 barrel carburetor.
I want bias-belted tires on my new car.
Where are the chrome-reverse wheels for the CR-V.
Next people will gripe that there is not crank to start the engine anymore.

Change is good. That is why no 3.5 mm plug.
You car is a computer now - even the radio is not a radio - it is computer that plays music.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
3,254 Posts
Except that won't work.
I've tried a couple and they didn't work. The required drivers appear to be missing from the Android installation.
It's not a case of proprietary drivers, both chipsets I tried have Open Source drivers.
Which is not to say there isn't a sound chipset out there that would work, I haven't tried them all, and I haven't tried the one in question.
I hesitate to bring up FM modulators, they are a definite last choice, but they give satisfactory performance for some folks here, where it's easy to find an unused piece of spectrum.

·
Registered
183 Posts
More to the point, why do you think they didn't include a simple 3.5mm jack to allow external devices to easily be plugged in?
Its a cost issue. More parts a product has the more cost, plus labour to install. If its removed from one car. Its not that much of a saving. But last year 323,502 CRVS were sold. Thats a big saving. Less items to cover under warranty etc.

I agree it is a bit of headache when scrolling through albums. I connected my Ipod for the first time today. I had the same issue. Its a sign of the times. So much of our media now is wireless.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It is not just about being able to connect a CD player. What about an old ipod, mp3 player, a laptop, a tablet or a DVD player? Wouldn't it be nice to have the audio from a laptop play through the speakers to entertain the kids? The bluetooth connectivity doesn't work with non-phone devices. Why couldn't they have made the audio system act like a pair of bluetooth headphones? I think it only requires a software change.

·
Premium Member
6,166 Posts
Well our 2020 toyota has it LOL good luck Honda

·
Registered
272 Posts
It is not just about being able to connect a CD player. What about an old ipod, mp3 player, a laptop, a tablet or a DVD player? Wouldn't it be nice to have the audio from a laptop play through the speakers to entertain the kids? The bluetooth connectivity doesn't work with non-phone devices. Why couldn't they have made the audio system act like a pair of bluetooth headphones? I think it only requires a software change.
I too am a big fan of hard wire. As mentioned, I have an old iPod with allllll my good stuff on it, just want to plug in and play. Don't want to play games with my music formats because of a car.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Why couldn't they have made the audio system act like a pair of bluetooth headphones?
That is what it already does - you connect your phone to it just like you connect your phone to bluetooth headset.
You just pair it just like any bluetooth headset.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I too am a big fan of hard wire. As mentioned, I have an old iPod with allllll my good stuff on it, just want to plug in and play. Don't want to play games with my music formats because of a car.
Why not buy a Bluetooth transmitter for your ipod?

·
Registered
2020 CR-V EX-L
25 Posts
Do a search for Mpow Bluetooth dongle on Amazon. Plug one into your device’s earphone jack and pair with your car. Should work.

·
Registered
699 Posts
It works with a phone but not a laptop. Give it a try.
It connects with OpenSUSE Linux on my laptop. Since most phones are Linux based and Linux on a laptop are the same except for CPU (x86 vs Arm). The laptop running Linux has the same code as any Android phone 6 or higher for bluetooth. You do have to change the built-in speaker to bluetooth on the laptop for it to work with the head unit.
If you run Windows or MacOS - well they sucks on bluetooth support.

·
The. Mod. Erator.
7,121 Posts
Wouldn't it be nice to have the audio from a laptop play through the speakers to entertain the kids?
I cant tell whether this is a joke or serious.

Laptop audio through the speakers? And distract the driver to no end?

Er, no.

The kids can find other, safer ways to be occupied. :unsure: :rolleyes:

Reactions: williamsji

·
Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid
718 Posts
Old iPod works fine via lightning/USB.

101 - 120 of 128 Posts