Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious about why all of the posters on this forum who never use the ECON button bought the CRV instead of a CUV with better performance? It seems like most of the comments I read about on this forum mention performance as the main reason for not using ECON. Just curious about the rational!

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
There are many reasons I picked the CR-V, like brand reliability over the years (on my 5th Honda, first V), reputation of the company, I like the looks and ride of the vehicle and so on. For what it is, the power of the V is fine, but with econ on it's too sluggish for my liking. So many of us just leave it off. You don't get a huge bump in mpg. Not anything you can't get by adjusting your drivin habit with the button off. Honestly, I've completely forgotten about that button. Glad it's off to the side too.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I think the Econ button is just a way for people who have led foots to "help" them drive efficiently by reducing throttle response so you are not using as much gas as you would driving "normally"

I myself did not buy the CRV for the Econ button, Fuel efficiency was somewhere in the middle, price and rear passenger space was near the top. I brought the CRV because I needed rear cargo room for passengers and trunk space. In 2012 the CRV was one of the ones that met the criteria at the time and the seats was useable/liveable. I have another passenger with me everyday and on the weekends there are 3 people in the car.

If you ever driven with the Econ on then you would have felt the reduce throttle response as well as the transmission being eager to upshift to a higher gear. Also if you ever use cruise control you lose 5 MPH before the CRV even bothers to apply throttle and get you back up to speed. If you ever use cruise control, the system is overly cautious as I like to say. It allows a 5 MPH speed lost before cruise control kicks in... and it takes forever to get back up to speed because it is trying to use as little gas as possible to get you back up to speed.

When I used Econ, I couldn't stand it. It felt like it was trying to be a smaller engine trying to move a large vehicle. So I drive without it. Also I get 27-28 MPG driving on the highway 75-80 MPH, then getting back on a semi country road I can get 30 MPG.. However I always lose MPG because I end up in gridlock on the highway. Stuck in traffic jams for half an hour does tend to kill fuel economy and red lights in the city.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I, too, have forgotten I even have the econ button. I bought the V 'cause it is AWD and is towable 4 wheels down behind my motorhome. Over the first 5K miles, I've averaged about 27 mpg. I'm happy with that. We bought it in June 2013 from a dealership about 2 hours away. Tried ECON on the way home. HATED ALL its effects. Never turned it on again.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The econ button was never a factor in my new car search. I had a Forester and was really looking for another one. Found the CRV and I'm also in the "tow it behind a motorhome" camp. CRV is automatic (Supreme Commander prefers) and the Forester had to be a manual. Liked both cars but guess which one the Supreme Commander thought we should get.... :)

Also agree, for the minimal difference in MPG would rather not have the econ on and just enjoy the car.

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
When I got my car, last October, I used the ECON for 3 months. It was sluggish. Then, I decided to try driving with it off. I immediately enjoyed the quicker response. I don't drive a car hard, so the green lights are normally on. I can't tell any difference in the gas mileage. I'll never go back to the ECON button On. I agree with Grafarin, I think ECON is for drivers with led foots.

·
Registered
845 Posts
0-60 in 10 seconds is bad enough without the econ on.
Not worth using it for the minimal gain in MPGs.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I would have much rather had Honda use all the technology it took to create the econ button and replace it with something like push button start, projector headlights, etc. for the same price point.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Our salesman had to talk me into trying it out.
I did, realized what it was doing as far as the shift points etc and decided it didn't make that much difference in the MPG's unless we were on the highway.
We enjoy (at least I do, I don't know for a fact that my wife actually notices) the get up and go of our CR-V. If you really stick your foot into it, it goes dang good for a vehicle its size/weight. I think what impresses me the most about it is that in normal, everyday driving it won't normally rev over 3500 rpm, if that, at most. Yet if you need to get up to speed entering a freeway you can get the engine into the upper reaches of the rpm range and get some nice power out of it. Granted, it's nothing compared to my V-6 Accord when it's on the boil, but for a four banger it does alright.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Bottom line: the Econ button doesn't do much that you can't accomplish with your right foot anyway.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Since the weather is nice, I decide if I actually try to drive carefully to maximize my MPG, what I would get.

I attached photos of my current MPG "driving carefully" WITHOUT ECON. I only have gone about 130 miles or so on this tank, I would be interested to see what my overall is with the complete tank.. Assuming I don't get bored following the speed limit and don't hit traffic jams.

IMG_0664.jpg IMG_0666.jpg IMG_0668.jpg IMG_0669.jpg IMG_0670.jpg

Current MPG according to the computer 33.2 Big pain in the @** to keep it above 33, it was hard getting to 32 but if you try to do anything above 32 MPG it drops like a rock, so far my light driving has gotten the computer to say 33 MPG.. Wonder if I can get it up to 35 Fuelly has me at 27.8 MPG while the CRV says I am currently doing 27.1 MPG overall

So can the CRV get 30 MPG without econ and driving somewhat normal... yes. Can it get above 31 MPG? Good luck, anytime I try to keep it above 31 it really wants to come down, yet driving normally by following the speed limit and a few stop signs can get me 30 MPG easily, but the computer doesn't like saying you can get anything better than 30.

While I do miss my spirited driving, going from 28 MPG to 33 MPG is something I probably won't try to aim for.. might just do 30 MPG and leave it there, I can't stand always watching the bar hover back and forth over the 30 MPG mark while giving throttle.

For those on fuelly.com going over 33 MPG, Wonder how you are able to manage it, open road and watching fuel economy gauge = boring and sleepy. This is with AWD, I wonder if it would have gone up easier without AWD?

·
Registered
200 Posts
hello people; Fairly new 13V owner here and I've been drivng with the Econ on for now but it does suck alot of the time with it on. I havn't experimented but I think I'm going to try using the button on and off. I'm going to try button on going to work in the morning and off going home where there's more speeders out there and a peppier V is a good thing.
I'll be back.
IBBY

·
Registered
548 Posts
Current MPG according to the computer 33.2 Big pain in the @** to keep it above 33, it was hard getting to 32 but if you try to do anything above 32 MPG it drops like a rock, so far my light driving has gotten the computer to say 33 MPG.. Wonder if I can get it up to 35 Fuelly has me at 27.8 MPG while the CRV says I am currently doing 27.1 MPG overall

So can the CRV get 30 MPG without econ and driving somewhat normal... yes. Can it get above 31 MPG? Good luck, anytime I try to keep it above 31 it really wants to come down, yet driving normally by following the speed limit and a few stop signs can get me 30 MPG easily, but the computer doesn't like saying you can get anything better than 30.

While I do miss my spirited driving, going from 28 MPG to 33 MPG is something I probably won't try to aim for.. might just do 30 MPG and leave it there, I can't stand always watching the bar hover back and forth over the 30 MPG mark while giving throttle.

For those on fuelly.com going over 33 MPG, Wonder how you are able to manage it, open road and watching fuel economy gauge = boring and sleepy. This is with AWD, I wonder if it would have gone up easier without AWD?
I use the L/100k and have a horrid time trying to get the CR-V's monitor down 8.0 L/100k or 29.40 miles/gallon(US), my one and only best reading has been 8.1 l/100k or 29.0388374 miles/gallon(US).
So far from brand new until yesterday my avg is 10.68 l/100k or 22.02 miles/gallon(US) according to my own Excel Spreadsheet which is very sick if you ask me, Fuelly has me at 26.3 miles/gallon (US) with my best run at 29.2 miles/gallon (US). I will have to go back and audit my conversions in the spreadsheet I think. :eek:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Turned ECON off before 1k miles. City mpg about 22-25 mpg and regularly get about 32-33 mpg on long highway trips and as high as 37.xx on 1 - 1 1/2 hour long stretches.

Seem to get better mileage [not by much mind you] on hilly terrains!!

Been tracking with excel spreadsheet and CRV mpg tracker is sometimes within 0.2 and sometimes 1.5 off [lower and higher]. Also, the avg speed tracker always lower compared to what I "feel" it should be. Eg. Get gas at highway station... drive for two hours at 65 mph plus... tracker will read 55 and never really catch up.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I've found that it takes a looooooooooonnnnnnnnnnggggggggg time to bring the avg speed up if you've spent any time on surface streets getting to the highway and up to speed. If you want to see a high avg speed you can't make gas stops when the tank is half empty. Best way to make it is to use cruise control too. At least that's been my experience in my '11 Accord going from The OC to San Jose area via I-5 to see my brother.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts