Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got done reading “Consumer Reports gets you visibility finally - oil”, and then the thread got closed?
This is a increadable information, anyone who reads this CR report will be VERY concerned.
https://www.consumerreports.org/car-repair-maintenance/honda-cr-v-affected-by-engine-trouble/
We need to as a community stay on top of this issue, pull together to try to get Honda to do the right thing. Most of us can’t afford a $7,000.00 or more trade in loss, so this needs to be fixed..

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya I know but, Consumer Report is a rock solid report. Some real documentation that can be useful in the future. I printed it out as something I could use possiable in the future. In the past the post of oil dilution was a lot of frustrated angry owners, rightfully so! But now we have CR on our side.

·
Banned
350 Posts
This Consumer Reports article is VINDICATION for those who continued to post about their problem vehicles, even as many forum members and moderators tried to silence them.

There are several members who attempted to keep other members from posting about their problems. Comments such as...
- "There is no sense whining about your problem on the internet."
- "Continuing to post about the problem on this forum will not solve anything."
- "If you are unhappy about the issue, find a constructive way to deal with it."
- "Dealing directly with your dealer/manufacturer is the only way to resolve your issue."

These sheep were desperate to silence any criticism of the vehicle. Yet the article clearly shows that forum posts about the problem had a notable impact on Honda's acknowledgment of the issue and supposedly taking action.

Some relevant quotes from the article...
- "And as Witzig learned when he started researching the issue online, hundreds more have aired their concerns on online forums devoted to Honda owners."
- "While Martin, at Honda, did not say how many of those cars might be affected, he did say, “The irregular high oil level condition is not as widespread as some internet chatter may imply.”
- "Another reason Honda may have acted more quickly in China: pressure from social media. Reuters and others have reported that Honda devised a recall plan for the car in China about a month after Honda owners there deluged the company with complaints on Weibo, the country’s Twitter equivalent, and other social media. "

·
Registered
203 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
I am a member of other forums and so far, this forum seems to be the worst when it comes to controlling the voice of dissent. Let people vent their frustration and not shutting them down like the Gestapos. I buy a Honda for their reputation and instead of making us whole, Honda is making up excuses.

·
Banned
350 Posts
I am a member of other forums and so far, this forum seems to be the worst when it comes to controlling the voice of dissent. Let people vent their frustration and not shutting them down like the Gestapos. I buy a Honda for their reputation and instead of making us whole, Honda is making up excuses.
I completely agree with this assessment.

When shopping for a compact SUV several months ago, I was shocked at the illogical lengths many posters here go to defend/protect their vehicles.

Many people here cannot accept/tolerate any dissenting voices. You must drink the Kool-Aid and proclaim the CRV is a superior vehicle, or risk being flamed or dismissed as a 'hater.'

·
Registered
187 Posts
A contrary view. Nothing informative had been added to the collective knowledge in the last few hundred posts and people were becoming hostile to each other. This is a moderated forum, thank goodness. As one who has been online since before there was an Internet, I prefer such forums. Moderation (and I've been the subject of such action and deserved to be) is my strong preference. The very presence of such controls keeps the loonies (not those Canadian ones) under control.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
This Consumer Reports article is VINDICATION for those who continued to post about their problem vehicles, even as many forum members and moderators tried to silence them.

There are several members who attempted to keep other members from posting about their problems. Comments such as...
- "There is no sense whining about your problem on the internet."
- "Continuing to post about the problem on this forum will not solve anything."
- "If you are unhappy about the issue, find a constructive way to deal with it."
- "Dealing directly with your dealer/manufacturer is the only way to resolve your issue."

These sheep were desperate to silence any criticism of the vehicle. Yet the article clearly shows that forum posts about the problem had a notable impact on Honda's acknowledgment of the issue and supposedly taking action.

Some relevant quotes from the article...
- "And as Witzig learned when he started researching the issue online, hundreds more have aired their concerns on online forums devoted to Honda owners."
- "While Martin, at Honda, did not say how many of those cars might be affected, he did say, “The irregular high oil level condition is not as widespread as some internet chatter may imply.”
- "Another reason Honda may have acted more quickly in China: pressure from social media. Reuters and others have reported that Honda devised a recall plan for the car in China about a month after Honda owners there deluged the company with complaints on Weibo, the country’s Twitter equivalent, and other social media. "
Yet the end all mother of articles that you use as absolute proof cites 9 cases. 9 out of 250,000 sold per year. And the best part is that we still see tons of users on here and Facebook that continue to claim they have oil dilution, then show us their level and it's perfectly fine.

Is there an issue? Yes. Is it massive? No.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I saw it was closed and went back to see what was so bad after some comments alluded to inappropriate comments . I didn't see anything even remotely offensive though I suppose some comments could have already been deleted. But I did notice three different threads on knee pads?

·
Banned
350 Posts
Yet the end all mother of articles that you use as absolute proof cites 9 cases. 9 out of 250,000 sold per year. And the best part is that we still see tons of users on here and Facebook that continue to claim they have oil dilution, then show us their level and it's perfectly fine.

Is there an issue? Yes. Is it massive? No.
What are you talking about? You completely missed the point of my post.

My point was that
1) Companies like Honda America and Consumer Reports do pay attention to the issues brought up online by owners (as evidenced by the quotes I cited).
2) Forum members shouldn't try to silence those with problems because they can leave to positive outcomes (see above).

·
Registered
276 Posts
I completely agree with this assessment.

When shopping for a compact SUV several months ago, I was shocked at the illogical lengths many posters here go to defend/protect their vehicles.

Many people here cannot accept/tolerate any dissenting voices. You must drink the Kool-Aid and proclaim the CRV is a superior vehicle, or risk being flamed or dismissed as a 'hater.'
This is one of the most controlling forums for any negative comments. It sees to be almost fearful of saying anything negative about Honda. Must we all defended and say we love our Honda to not have a thread closed?

The irony is that the main defense to close a tread is that so few compliant so it can not be a "real" issue out of the larger population, so the treads to be closed quickly because when one does compliant they say we have heard this before, no new info, yawn, etc.

Kind-of-makes it hard to build up a large number of complaints on issue is the treads keep getting closed quickly. Just the complaints in itself is some info/data..

Apparently CR sees the complaints as valid too. And it seems they "did" try to work with Honda before relaxing their report. Unfortunately, it seems Honda is on defense now. It is their own falult. They had over a year to address this in some public statement before CR issued its report.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,154 Posts
I didn't see anything in that Car and Driver report that was new. :confused2:

++++++++++++

Said it before and we'll say it again:

We do our best to provide easily accessible information on issues like this. THAT is why we Stickied the one Topic and keep adding to THE FIRST POST.

Why force newly aware owners to look through 200+ posts??? Most folks won't do all that reading, or click and read links, then they will ask the question in a new Topic. THESE are the ones we shut down after a while.

You can bet that once Honda's fixes are published, we will add them to the PSA (Public Service Announcement) topic, too.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
As a (former) moderator of several forums, my approach to moderation was always "play nice, or else!"

I fully support what the moderators here are doing.
I have created and moderated several forums in the past. Most forums do not give second chances on stances that they have taken. I am a member now on another forum that completely removes any threads that members have been told not to bring up again, they don't just lock them! Do it a second time and your banned. They make it clear that you don't own the forum and if you don't like the rules then leave and create your own forum.

Absolutely nothing in that CR article was new, even a 10 year old can figure out that the author was pointed to this forum by someone here. He literally states that! All he did was skim through the oil thread and jotted down some notes to make an article. The only new thing that he did was to use his status to call up Honda and get a more exact time table for a fix.

Since then nothing new has been added to the conversation. Everyone else is just quoting his article and trying to get it into their own web pages news cycle.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.