Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced radiator fans three months ago. Turn it to heat, a/c compressor kicks on. Put it on defrost, the a/c is OFF, same result. Need help. It's my wife's daily.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
4wd 2005 MT crv, according to 99's profile, in case anyone is wondering.

99ek9_lurkin,
Have you owned this crv for a long time? Has it always been this way since you owned it?
So, it sounds like the AC compressor kicks on whenever the heat or defrost is selected?
Heat only----comp engages----not normal
Defrost on---comp engages---normal
Defrost on---comp doesn't come on---not normal
AC on -----comp engages---normal
So, are you saying that anytime the heat is turned on to any position and fan speed, the ac compressor engages?
Buffalo4

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
A/C is turned on to dry the air to defog the windshield better.

Replaced radiator fans three months ago. Turn it to heat, a/c compressor kicks on. Put it on defrost, the a/c is OFF, same result. Need help. It's my wife's daily.
When Defog is on the compressor runs to dry the air without regard to where the Temp is set. I believe there is no way to stop it. But you want the compressor to run every week or so to distribute the oil. Could this be what is happening?

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you don't have automatic climatic control, the workaround is turn on the a/c manually (press the a/c button) when you turn the defroster on, I usually let it run for 5 minutes before hitting the a/c button to switch it off. It is annoying but if anybody has other suggestions, please feel free to share.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Sounds like the switch ac contacts have somehow got out of sync between the defrost and heat settings - they are basically reversed. Not familiar with the Gen2 console, but the Gen3 Service Manual details built-in diagnostic functions on the environmental controls that go through the different functions to test - I thought I had seen a link for a pdf download somewhere but I can't locate it now.

Did this happen when you replaced the fans or afterwards? It also makes me a little suspicious because they're related to each other, but it might be just coincidence.

·
Registered
868 Posts
If you don't have automatic climatic control, the workaround is turn on the a/c manually (press the a/c button) when you turn the defroster on, I usually let it run for 5 minutes before hitting the a/c button to switch it off. It is annoying but if anybody has other suggestions, please feel free to share.
I've had Gen1, 2 and now 3 CRV's. On all of them, when switching to Defrost, the A/C comes on. Nothing to do with auto climate control.

I'm pretty sure that is standard on all vehicles now. Removes humidity in Defrost mode.

·
Registered
52 Posts
same with my 2000 ex
AC comes on with defrost
no problem to turn it off when its done clearing windshield
there's worse things in life with cars

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
This does not work in my '07.

Tried this in my '07 LX and it does not work. To get the compressor off I have to turn defog off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We bought it in late 2009 with 78,8xx on the clock. Jumped time at 95,xxx.. You can guess it's been a great car (sarcasm) but anyway. No matter what setting or temperature the compressor is running. I don't know if fan replacement was a cause because I only found out when I drove it on a chilly night here in Alabama. I could feel the draw and thought the a/c was on.... Nope.. It just runs no matter what :/ But I do know It didn't do it while we had that "ice storm" year in the year because my lowered 99 civic hatch wasn't cutting it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
She has 172,385 miles on her. Almost replaced every component on this Honda.. Rebuilt the whole motor bottomed up when she jumped time.. I've also replaced hubs, bushings, bearings, axles and boots, radiator, fans, blower motor and rewire almost the whole back half of the car from a short in the harness. She's been costly but mostly a good car. I've bought this car twice for sure :sob:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
If you can find the low voltage connector next to the ac compressor, disconnect it for now so that it will not provide power to the ac compressor clutch.
That way it won't be running all the time. Then you can trouble shoot it more.

OR

Removing the ac relay will also stop the compressor from running, but I don't know what else that relay controls, as I don't have the electrical for an '05. I don't 'think' it does anything else important, but I sure don't know.
Try to locate the 'AC' or 'compressor' relay and remove it. There might be an identical one next to it that you could swap.
Maybe it is just a stuck relay. I believe that relay is located in the under-the-hood fuse/relay box.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll just unhook it. Easiest thing to do for now. But gotta figure out how to fix it before spring/summer. Thanks for everybody's reply's.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts