Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read some other thread and someone mentioned that for a diff service at the dealership, the cost is only about $80. If it is this low, why would you want to waste time and effort to do the diff oil change yourself?

·
Registered
2018 CR-V AWD Touring
371 Posts
1. Time savings. It isn't that difficult to do. My time is valuable. Why wait for the service to be done at a dealership or I would need to make arrangements to drop the car off and pick it up.
2. Money savings.
3. Doing the job myself, I can guarantee the work is done properly. There have been a number of posts in this forum about issues with a standard oil change done at a dealership, whereby they overfill the system.
4. Personal satisfaction gained for doing something yourself.

You mention "waste time", I see it as time saved.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Why do you do whatever to your V? If you saw $80 bucks laying on the ground and you could bend over and pick it up, wouldn’t you?

·
Super Moderator
1997 185 2002 EX 2017 EX-L AWD
2,517 Posts
things get done right the first time and no time wasted, win win here. Below are a few examples. Why spend for a free part, why buy a overly priced option, why diy . Satasfaction of enjoyment and acomplishment, PRICELESS!

youtube.com/watch?v=p_y2KRZ91kc&t=19s

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Time saved? Don't you have to buy the materials? Get rid of the waste? Get the car set up? Bring out and put away your tools? Clean up? You think you can do it than a Honda mechanic who does this for a living on thousands of cars?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you pull minimum wage, then I can see you save $ doing dyi. However, with the time involved + material and the rate you're making (at least me), you don't save squash.

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
1,129 Posts
things get done right the first time and no time wasted, win win here. Below are a few examples. Why spend for a free part, why buy a overly priced option, why diy . Satasfaction of enjoyment and acomplishment, PRICELESS!

youtube.com/watch?v=p_y2KRZ91kc&t=19s
Didnt you post up a diy on changing brake pads then all the pins were falling off? Lol

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Time saved? Don't you have to buy the materials? Get rid of the waste? Get the car set up? Bring out and put away your tools? Clean up? You think you can do it than a Honda mechanic who does this for a living on thousands of cars?
It's a 30 minute job. Oil is 15 min. 2 quarts of fluid shipped to my house from Amazon. It takes longer for me to drive to the dealer and back home than it does to get this done.

Dealer only works during my typical hours. So I have to burn PTO to go to the dealer. At my rate, and with a loss of 2 hrs of PTO. $80 at the dealer turns into $150 rather quickly.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's a 30 minute job. Oil is 15 min. 2 quarts of fluid shipped to my house from Amazon. It takes longer for me to drive to the dealer and back home than it does to get this done.

Dealer only works during my typical hours. So I have to burn PTO to go to the dealer. At my rate, and with a loss of 2 hrs of PTO. $80 at the dealer turns into $150 rather quickly.
Considering from start to finish, I find it hard to finish in 30 minutes. From the moment you park the car to dumping off the waste, I doubt it's 30 minutes. maybe you have a lift and have done this a few times.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Considering from start to finish, I find it hard to finish in 30 minutes. From the moment you park the car to dumping off the waste, I doubt it's 30 minutes. maybe you have a lift and have done this a few times.
Ok I'll give you an hour on DIY after I drink a beer and return the fluid to O'Rielly.

Now do a serious break down of the typical time it takes to go to the dealer.

DIY: Save $50 plus have an extra hour at work to make more money.
Dealer: Lose $50 extra + PTO or time at work.

Going to the dealer is a double negative in my book.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I agree with the sentiment of most others, I want to avoid the dealer as much as possible. $80 may be cheap to some but not others, but say you spend $30 to do it yourself you saved $50 and at least for myself it would be in time I'd have likely been watching tv or something anyway so it's not like i'd be earning additional income during that time anyway.

It also gives you a great feeling of satisfaction to do something yourself. Not everyone wants to do a job themselves, but a lot of us enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I agree with the sentiment of most others, I want to avoid the dealer as much as possible. $80 may be cheap to some but not others, but say you spend $30 to do it yourself you saved $50 and at least for myself it would be in time I'd have likely been watching tv or something anyway so it's not like i'd be earning additional income during that time anyway.

It also gives you a great feeling of satisfaction to do something yourself. Not everyone wants to do a job themselves, but a lot of us enjoy it.
Exactly. There is no joy in sitting in a dealership waiting room. I enjoy working a wrench and checking fluids. Especially because my day job is behind a desk.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wait, didn't you "DIY" your own engine blanket? :unsure:
I've done a lot of dyis. However after finishing some diys, I looked back in hindsight and thought that it would have been better paying somebody to do it. Here we are talking about if the price is not much, why not let someone else do it.

·
Registered
2018 CR-V AWD Touring
371 Posts
Yes, one does need to purchase the materials. I typically pickup my motor oil when I happen to be at Walmart and I'll pickup the two quarts of Honda Dual Pump Fluid II (differential fluid) when I pass a Honda dealer in my travels. One can also purchase these materials via a variety of online sources. I dump my oil waste into a 5 gallon gas container and when the container is full, I stop by one of the auto service stations and dump out my container. Some towns have a place where one can dump their oil for recycling. Along with oil I can also recycle antifreeze, certain chemicals, batteries, mercury containing devices, etc.
Already have the tools to complete the job. To change your motor oil, you don't even need to jack the car up. Have a tool chest, so retrieving and putting away the tools doesn't take much time.
Cleaning up does take a bit of time, hence when I do these types of jobs I try to work on more then one vehicle at a time.

I'm an avid motorcyclist and tires on a motorcycle don't last very long. I would remove my wheel, purchase a tire from an Internet tire seller and take the wheel and tire to a shop and have them remove the old tire, install the new tire and balance it. Over the years I noticed the price creeping up for what I thought was a simple job. Keep in mind most shops have their junior mechanic work on tires. Well, I got tired of wasting my time dropping off the wheel, and either waiting or coming back to pick it up. I solved that problem. I purchased a manual tire machine. Now I change my tires myself on my schedule. Rims are never scratched. Not sure if the machine has paid for itself yet, but the quality of the job is better. I also thoroughly clean the rim before installing a new tire. no shop is doing that for you. And the job is done on my schedule, maybe at night, on the weekend, etc.
Plus, my friends will stop by with a few beers while we work on their motorcycle tires.

For me, I like the personal satisfaction of doing a job.....I also like the money savings!

1 - 20 of 149 Posts