Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 60 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Some people have the mistaken assumption that the dealership somehow does basic maintenance better than DIY. My dealersip overfilled the oil on my first visit (free). Experts, eh?

Some people would rather change their own oil at home perhaps with their son, than spend an extra (half) hour at work away from home.

Some simply enjoy working on their own cars and being mechanically confident with their equipment.

Some people can't work one extra hour, so DIY and saving $50 is worthwhile.

Some men know that some women find it sexy as hell that their man does car repairs. :cool:
Some women find it sexy as hell that a man has the means to pay others to do the dirty work and instead spend that time on them.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
the floor can be cold, dirty, damp wet, and snow, so what is it that you got an issue with about the floor, its gives you the Chills, times I put a blanket down, most the time when I do my work I am already done by the time I get the blanket out. Yes lets Ban the person who says Ban.

I normally when doing my car, giv my Dog the blanket, not me.

So the time I spent writing this 1 minute post, I could have spent on the car, checking my fluid levels, but its Wet and rainy. so I got Coffee instead. And I dug this vid up. So enjoy how it's done 12 years ago 12 years ago .

I'm looking forward to Fishy's next video, maybe an X rated diff oil change.😂

·
Registered
491 Posts
Man, you missed a perfect opportunity to use "Okay Boomer" ;)
Haha and you would be correct!
I will take every Senior discount I can get because I worked long and hard to get them!

And besides, "okay millennial" and "okay Gen X'er" just don't roll off the tongue as well. Lol

·
Registered
188 Posts
Why do some of us DIY? It's simple. Besides saving money, some actually consider it fun, a hobby, if you'd like. There is a certain satisfaction that comes from gettin'er done yourself. But for those who chose not to get their hands dirty, that's fine, too.

It's easy to tell a DIYer from a one who doesn't DIY. The next time you shake a man's hand, take note of the texture. Are there any scars, roughness, cuts, bandages, or missing portions of that hand? Those are signs of a DIYer.

Now, if you shake a man's hand and it is soft and supple with no obvious abrasions, that's a NON-DIYer or what some DIYers affectionately refer as a "girl-man".

Legal disclosure: I'm just messing around here! I have respect for however each of you choose to handle this situation because each of you have valid reasons. Carry on...

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
If it was a walk no appointments needed, use the restroom, grab a donut, coffee, etc, head to the office, get a call, co-worker drops off, both get some free snacks again. and be on the way. that will work. but in the Long run either way you want to look at it. bottom line is. the job was done. that is al lthat mattered to one person.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Your way sounds like a huge pain in the ass. You asked the question of why people do simple car maintenance themselves. We gave you several answers. Then you start arguing and trying to convince us that we are dumb because we want to save time and money and the hassle of having to go to the dealership to beg them for a ride to and from work.

In your eyes, people who work on their own things are dumb, even though they might be able to do it better, faster, and cheaper. Yeah, I guess you are the smart one here. Whatever.
Dude, chill out. I'm not calling anyone dumb. This is an adult conversation and if you don't understand that, there are other threads you might find interesting.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Why do some of us DIY? It's simple. Besides saving money, some actually consider it fun, a hobby, if you'd like. There is a certain satisfaction that comes from gettin'er done yourself. But for those who chose not to get their hands dirty, that's fine, too.

It's easy to tell a DIYer from a one who doesn't DIY. The next time you shake a man's hand, take note of the texture. Are there any scars, roughness, cuts, bandages, or missing portions of that hand? Those are signs of a DIYer.

Now, if you shake a man's hand and it is soft and supple with no obvious abrasions, that's a NON-DIYer or what some DIYers affectionately refer as a "girl-man".

Legal disclosure: I'm just messing around here! I have respect for however each of you choose to handle this situation because each of you have valid reasons. Carry on...
I believe the correct term is "girlie-man".

·
Registered
27 Posts
Why do I avoid going to the dealer for something as simple as a diff. oil change? I'm unlikely to get a "master mechanic" working on my car. More likely to get the lowest "lot boy" on the premises (speaking from experience).

·
Registered
401 Posts
I like DIY on changing brake pads because I don't like paying the dealer hundreds of dollars when I can just buy (one time) a set of brake pads and just spend an hour in a weekend.
Autozone has a lifetime brake pads warranty... you buy it once and the next time you buy, just return the used one and get a refund.... zero cost... just an hour of my time....

And it is so easy changing my engine oil....

get a good hydraulic jack... makes doing things a lot faster and safer.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
You have obviously never lived in the deep south.

Indeed.

I don't hail from the south.. but I DO try to make a point to respect regional differences in dialog and use of terms, and accents. :)

Maybe it is because I the opportunity to visit a lot of the states in the US when I was a kid during family summer vacation time. I found different use of terms, slang, idiom, and dialog not only interesting.. but something worth adapting to when in a particular region.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I think some of you guys are missing the point. If you "save" hundreds or thousands of dollars, then yes, dyi. But if there is "insignificant" difference of cost b/t you dyi vs. a mech doing it, then why not let the mech do it? I quoted the words "save" and "insignificant" because their meaning varies depending on the person the words apply to. Some of the el cheapo here wouldn't even let go of a buck to save 10 minutes of their life. On the other hand, that Advanced Pain Management poster wouldn't even pop the hood.

Let me give you an example. I've changed struts on my cars. Plenty of experience here. Looking back at the effort I put into those jobs vs. someone doing it for me and charge me $100 labor (not counting hardware) for the job, I would gladly hand it over to them to do it. For $150? $200? Now I'm wavering. What would be your breaking point?

·
Registered
491 Posts
So the deep South is ignorant? Not gonna argue with you there.
I think someone is doing a splendid job of displaying their ignorance of colloquial differences in speech and language.

But hey, it looks good on you though. ;)

·
Registered
90 Posts
When I was in college and broke I did my own oil changes. Now that I have a job and there's a locally owned oil change place that is quick and does a good job for a reasonable price it's not worth it to me.

Also, using "cement" to describe concrete is like using "water" to describe a soda. While we're on the subject, a "footer" is text at the bottom of a page, a "footing" is a type concrete foundation.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I think some of you guys are missing the point. If you "save" hundreds or thousands of dollars, then yes, dyi.
Actually, I believe you are missing the point. It's not always about the money savings.
1. Let's say someone realizes at the last minute they need to go out of town. It's the weekend, they will be gone for a number of days and they forgot to schedule a service. A handy person would just take care of the job themselves.

2. As has been said a few times in this thread, for many of the "easier" services, the most experienced mechanic may not be assigned to the job. Haven't you ever hired some trades person for a job and had to call them back due to something being incorrect?

It's not always about the money, but the savings is certainly a nice bonus.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I think some of you guys are missing the point. If you "save" hundreds or thousands of dollars, then yes, dyi. But if there is "insignificant" difference of cost b/t you dyi vs. a mech doing it, then why not let the mech do it? I quoted the words "save" and "insignificant" because their meaning varies depending on the person the words apply to. Some of the el cheapo here wouldn't even let go of a buck to save 10 minutes of their life. On the other hand, that Advanced Pain Management poster wouldn't even pop the hood.

Let me give you an example. I've changed struts on my cars. Plenty of experience here. Looking back at the effort I put into those jobs vs. someone doing it for me and charge me $100 labor (not counting hardware) for the job, I would gladly hand it over to them to do it. For $150? $200? Now I'm wavering. What would be your breaking point?
I actually just bought the fluid for this event today. $15 a quart on Amazon. My out of pocket is less than $20 for diff change.

This thread is also missing the fact that some of us get huge discounts on parts. A DIYer can find major discounts compared to going to the dealer. I get major discounts with O'Reilly due to having a business account. Not to mention Amazon and ebay have huge discount on Honda parts and fluids. No way in hell my dealer would allow me to bring those in.

For instance, here's a link to $16 5qt of oil that comes with a $22 mail in rebate. This makes DIY profitable just to change your oil. These deal pop up all the time. Still have 1.5 quarts leftover for your next change. My dealer charges $45 for an oil change.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
I actually just bought the fluid for this event today. $15 a quart on Amazon. My out of pocket is less than $20 for diff change.

This thread is also missing the fact that some of us get huge discounts on parts. A DIYer can find major discounts compared to going to the dealer. I get major discounts with O'Reilly due to having a business account. Not to mention Amazon and ebay have huge discount on Honda parts and fluids. No way in hell my dealer would allow me to bring those in.

For instance, here's a link to $16 5qt of oil that comes with a $22 mail in rebate. This makes DIY profitable just to change your oil. These deal pop up all the time. Still have 1.5 quarts leftover for your next change. My dealer charges $45 for an oil change.
I don't think anyone is missing your point, or anyone elses point. Different people simply have different preferences, for different reasons. Nothing wrong with that.. until someone tries to make it into some sort of "us" VS "them" tribal nonsense.

41 - 60 of 149 Posts