Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

81 - 100 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
My workplace is just a fifteen minute walk from dealership so that’s a nice bonus. Drop off before sun rises pickup shortly after 2. I totally get why people enjoy doing fluid changes on their own. I’d probably do my own oil changes if I was 20 years younger and had a nice garage/ flat driveway.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Still works out getting some one that is a DIY'er to do it for you, you're still not doing it but we DIY'ers are the ones that are smiling..

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Fun fact of the day. Gf got her first oil change at the dealer. I did the second oil change today. 2 of the 8 or so bolts were missing from the lower shield. And this is why we DIY
Did you check the number of bolts BEFORE your GF took the car in the first time?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
So it seems a minority on this board would prefer letting someone else do the wrenching for them. The rest all seems to be gung-ho mechanics. You must have not tackled a job that would make a grown man cry.

·
Registered
161 Posts
So it seems a minority on this board would prefer letting someone else do the wrenching for them. The rest all seems to be gung-ho mechanics. You must have not tackled a job that would make a grown man cry.
I pick and choose my battles, the things discussed in thread are simple and straight forward, not much of a challenge.

Although a person does need the required space and tools to do the job.

I've gone both ways on stuff like this, I went back to doing more of it myself after several screw ups by the dealer. Dealers seem to do better on actual repairs than simple maintenance. I've had better luck at quicky lubes places.

The cost of an oil change around here tends to be slightly over $100.00, my cost is less than $30.

I can be finished with an oil change in less time than it takes to drive to the nearest location that will do it.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I do the General DIY stuff. I got a problem that will require attention, and when I am 100% certain I can not do it, then that is when I will go to a shop. other then that. I am cool with that. oh back to the Tar.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
If I had done the work myself I guess I would be able to answer that question.
Right so you don't really know if it was the dealer who stole your bolts or they were already missing before. Fair assumption.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
I do the General DIY stuff. I got a problem that will require attention, and when I am 100% certain I can not do it, then that is when I will go to a shop. other then that. I am cool with that. oh back to the Tar.
100% certain? You won't be 100% certain until you are in the middle of a fix and certain you can't do it. Unless anything beyond wrenching that drain plug is 100% certainly undoable for you then I agree.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
100% certain? You won't be 100% certain until you are in the middle of a fix and certain you can't do it. Unless anything beyond wrenching that drain plug is 100% certainly undoable for you then I agree.
That's part of having experience and being a rational adult. Failed a lot in my early 20's wrenching so that I don't fail down the road.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Well you are so Wrong at 1 million%, sorry to say no one is right, and no one is wrong, we can all agree on that, Lol.

so has any one been spoon fed or they ate on their own as a Infant?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Spent 4 years of my life wrenching on Mach 2+ F-111 fighter bombers where if you even screwed up a little bit, there was a good chance the crew wasn't coming home, ever. I've tackled a lot of tough, critical, time sensitive jobs. Just at this stage of my life (71), I'm more than happy to let someone else turn the wrenches and get under the car,

·
Registered
361 Posts
Did you check the number of bolts BEFORE your GF took the car in the first time?
Why? I can think of three possible scenarios.
1. The bolts were missing when she brought the car in for service. If that was the case, the mechanic should have informed the customer of that issue, noted it on the service order and asked if the customer wanted them replaced.
2. Bolts were not installed properly by the mechanic and they fell off after the service.
3. All the bolts weren't installed.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Just want to point out the tendency of us blaming the mechanic for anything that goes wrong right after a service ("Hey my alternator was working before you changed my oil").

·
Registered
361 Posts
Just want to point out the tendency of us blaming the mechanic for anything that goes wrong right after a service ("Hey my alternator was working before you changed my oil").
OK. I would agree. That is also one of the reasons why certain repair facilities will not work on older vehicles. I know in the Harley-Davidson world, many dealers will not work on a motorcycle 10+ years old.
But aren't you changing the narrative here? You/me were discussing the situation of missing bolts on an oil pan cover. From what the boyfriend mentioned, this was a first oil change. I'm assuming this was a new vehicle, but I may be wrong.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
OK. I would agree. That is also one of the reasons why certain repair facilities will not work on older vehicles. I know in the Harley-Davidson world, many dealers will not work on a motorcycle 10+ years old.
But aren't you changing the narrative here? You/me were discussing the situation of missing bolts on an oil pan cover. From what the boyfriend mentioned, this was a first oil change. I'm assuming this was a new vehicle, but I may be wrong.
1st oil change by dealer
2nd oil change by me, noticed bolt missing.

If it was missing at 1st oil change, the dealer would have fixed it. It's not unheard of for this to happen at a dealer. More than a few members have reported the shield falling down after dealer service.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Well you are so Wrong at 1 million%, sorry to say no one is right, and no one is wrong, we can all agree on that, Lol.

so has any one been spoon fed or they ate on their own as a Infant?
Actually, fact is: Breast fed babies grow up to be adults that wrench on their own vehicles.
Formula fed babies grow up to be adults who pay a garage to do it for them.
Debate put to rest.

81 - 100 of 149 Posts