Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

101 - 120 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
So here I am a DIY'er, right? I am not able to do my Sis's Oil, and the Cost was $70.00 give or take, who, what, where, when, I do not know? Now if you followed me, and you're going to make this a million posts, by the time I get to the car. to see if

1 the 10mm bolts I had on are there, think two to three, and the J3 1/4 turns 1 missing. no spares in my posession.

We'll see what hte Machanic did?

2 the Oil filter used. if it was a GH Honda , Fram. Bosch, Purulator etc. and how EFFIN tight?

3. the Plug and crush washer. same ole same ole how tight and if changed?

4. OIl used, if OW20 Mobile, penn, quaker. off brand or even sae20 at all?

So these are the questions I ask my self right now, what the hell am I in store when I see the car. and what do I say to my Sis...

Here you go, all done. with a Smile from ear to ear...

So like said no one will ever get a right or wrong answer here, at all I bet, the person had no clue how to change the Maintenance Minder and if they did, tehy'll say you need this and that, and what wil lyou think Sis do. Listen to the technician and not family? TECHNICIAN that is a Machanic today Lol why I said Machanic at the start.

GEE CYber beer coming. forget the ....

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Age/health issues are creeping up on me and the automotive things I can still do are getting less and less. Rotated tires about a month ago........that may be the last time for me doing that. Popped a couple Tylenol.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
^^^^(y)(y)

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
As we are young at heart I ask a naighbor if I need help, nothing ashamed of that, and I return the favor. How the real life works not just talk.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Amazon delivers the parts, so only a few minutes to order and open the front door

Time to do the change is about equal to the time to drive to dealer and back, regardless of loaner car.

I'm retired so I've got the time

Job is done correctly.

I get to examine the fluid. I don't trust the dealer if they said I need something. Theyonce said I needed a valve adjustment. I asked why, I just did it last week, did they move? They answered, oh we didn't look at the valves (no kidding) we just looked at the milage and checked what is needed, if we don't have a record that we did it, we recommend the service. (wonder how many people fall for that?)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I choose to “always” DIY because

1: I have lost faith in nearly all dealership service depts. and private shops. I’ve found that too many don’t have my best interests in mind despite the fact that I’m paying for their time and parts. I use dealers only when absolutely necessary and private shops rarely. This is regardless of whether the cost of a service sounds lower in dollars.

2: I keep my vehicles for a very long time and I’ve had some instances after my vehicle was at a shop that it developed a new problem right away. Some were coincidence, some were the fault of the shop. I like to be the only person working on my vehicles because I am the only one to blame, it takes a lot of mystery out of the repairs. Over the long time owning each vehicle it has helped to know exactly what’s been done and that it’s been done well.

3: My time is very valuable. Part of its value includes it’s flexibility. I can DIY basically any repair on my schedule and with a much closer attention to detail than a dealer tech because I’m carefully looking at various parts of the vehicle during any service. This helps me discover additional preventative repairs that may be needed that day while I’m already in my “garage clothes”. And if I’m (for example) doing a brake job and find a broken sway bar link or leaking strut I can get the parts and do the work the same day. These instances actually save me more time because I’m already working on the car that day and I end up getting more done than I thought. As for recycling oil, fluid or old parts...I set it aside until I’m going to the parts store again for something else and I have a guy that picks up my scrap metal from all my repairs.

4: I genuinely enjoy working with my hands, whether on my cars or anything else.

I think we could have the same kind of discussion about other topics as well. I think it comes down to each persons personality, life experience, and preferences.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I get to examine the fluid. I don't trust the dealer if they said I need something. Theyonce said I needed a valve adjustment. I asked why, I just did it last week, did they move? They answered, oh we didn't look at the valves (no kidding) we just looked at the milage and checked what is needed, if we don't have a record that we did it, we recommend the service. (wonder how many people fall for that?)
Think about it for a moment.......It happens to be both true and accurate on the part of the dealer.

They don't know you performed a maintenance on your vehicle unless you tell them, and have receipts for parts, etc as proof.

They only can tell what was done to your vehicle from their computer ..... IF it was done by any Honda dealer in the country, or separately reported and documented by you the owner that a 3rd party did maintenance.

It is in fact the first thing they do when they intake your car... lookup recommended maintenance (in addition to whatever the MM says), AND lookup any active campaigns (TSBs) or recalls that apply to your vehicle VIN.

You are essentially criticizing them for doing their job correctly.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Guess I’m late to the thread. I do the rear differential fluid myself. It’s usually part of my 30k service with the oil, trans fluid, air filter, cabin filter, coolant.

The rear differential part might be 15 minutes. But why not stretch it out to 45 minutes? Polish the fill and drain bolts nice and shiny while I’m at it.

It’s Quiet. Might take a nap under the car. Admire the shiny tool chrome a bit. It is low stress compared to work, I try to enjoy my personal time with the car.

I can probably stretch my 30k service out to 4 hours. It’s as relaxing as spending a day at the spa. Actually, better than the spa. Massage therapists always leave me sore.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Guess I’m late to the thread. I do the rear differential fluid myself. It’s usually part of my 30k service with the oil, trans fluid, air filter, cabin filter, coolant.

The rear differential part might be 15 minutes. But why not stretch it out to 45 minutes? Polish the fill and drain bolts nice and shiny while I’m at it.

It’s Quiet. Might take a nap under the car. Admire the shiny tool chrome a bit. It is low stress compared to work, I try to enjoy my personal time with the car.

I can probably stretch my 30k service out to 4 hours. It’s as relaxing as spending a day at the spa. Actually, better than the spa. Massage therapists always leave me sore.
LOL! Too bad you can't drink a beer laying flat on the ground, huh?

101 - 120 of 149 Posts