Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

121 - 140 of 149 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1997 185, 2002 EX, 2017 EX-L
2,330 Posts
ONly th Dealer can work in your favor, if hte Machanic is assigned to you Life time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't knock a minimum wage man, at least he probably knows how to do the job and is not afraid of getting a little grease on him

·
Super Moderator
2,330 Posts
like Duct tape here a million and plus 1..

Reactions: crv383

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Houston, we have a problem..........out of duct tape.:eek:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I read some other thread and someone mentioned that for a diff service at the dealership, the cost is only about $80. If it is this low, why would you want to waste time and effort to do the diff oil change yourself?
Here are the people your dealing with at the dealer. Local dealer, part of national chain, has a $19.99 synthetic oil change with Honda filter special on Saturday. So I take in my 2012 Civic. Spend 2 hours in the waiting room and showroom while eating free Chic-fil-a breakfast. They also do a "free" maintenance check. They tell me my 18 months on coolant needs changing because "it looks cloudy", and I need new brakes with my next oil change. I tell them I rotate my own tires and a 2000 miles ago at 92,000 miles and I checked the original brakes and based upon the MM left, I can go another 30,000 miles until the suggested replacement thickness. Next oil change I do, 2 screws missing from the aerodynamic pan. Next wheel rotation, a huge wad of gum (at least an an inch and a half) on the suspension. I had also taken the CR-V for its first oil change with another special (I never do the first change myself because you need a lot of leverage to get that filter off). Get back home, check the oil, at the "max" mark. 1,000 miles later, above the max mark. Take it back thinking recall, they just take some out. Still at the max mark. Check under the car, one screw missing from the aerodynamic pan. Both times I go back to the dealer parts department and tell them what happened. they just grab a screw and hand it to me for free. I get to crawl under and finish the job the started. A workmate of mine has as Mazda (mis-da) and he had the dealer do the oil change. Driving down the highway and the back end of the pan starts dragging on the ground, missing the screws.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Time saved? Don't you have to buy the materials? Get rid of the waste? Get the car set up? Bring out and put away your tools? Clean up? You think you can do it than a Honda mechanic who does this for a living on thousands of cars?
Im having to but in if that's ok. All of that takes me less than 20 minutes including getting the car set up ( I'm guessing you mean jacked up and set on stands) . But I also go to my local rent a lift. Either way I save money and know the job is definitely done right so even if it is a little longer ,for me its well worth it for th peace of mind.

·
Super Moderator
2,330 Posts
1st oil change is the best. love the challenge.. and thought i said that many people simply find taking a filter off a struggle. ow not making fun of you or anyone. but you did tel lthe guy that you can go the extra mile on the pads and he said I'll teach ya by putting bubble gum. and leaving bolts out.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Time saved? Don't you have to buy the materials? Get rid of the waste? Get the car set up? Bring out and put away your tools? Clean up? You think you can do it than a Honda mechanic who does this for a living on thousands of cars?
Words from a true DIY rookie... There is no mess and stupid easy to do when I say stupid easy I mean stupid. Have you ever heard a person say... "I've done this a thousand time, I know what I'm doing"... And still screw it up.
That extra $50 can contribute to a night out with my lady while you still waiting at the dealer for hours for something that takes me 20 minutes. Like the other person said
Do what you like with your V.

·
Super Moderator
2,330 Posts
Anyone one know when the Dealer opens tomorrow, he said he may run a lil late, he had to get his oil change at Ford or chevy, he really was not clear.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I think a lot of dealership techs are really good guys overall. One of my friends is a Honda mechanic, great guy, I’ve seen him do work - he is very ocd too. He marks every electrical connector he takes apart with different colored paint markers so he knows where to put it back.

He has certainly helped me out with advice, when I’ve run into a few obstacles. I remember a great text conversation with him while doing ball joint boots.

me - hey, i can’t seem to get the ball joint separated, I’m hitting it with a hammer
honda tech friend - hit it harder
me - I’m hitting pretty hard
honda tech friend - get a bigger hammer
me - sorry to bother you again, now I can’t get the ball joint back into the control arm, pulling the control arm with my longest pry bar
honda tech friend - pull harder
me - I’m leaning on it with all my weight
honda tech friend - get a bigger pry bar
me - thanks man, all done!

That was truly some of the best advice I ever got. Awesome afternoon, I think I spent 4 hours of quality time with my front suspension getting to know it better. We are on much better terms with each other now that we dont have torn boots with leaking grease. Plus, now I got myself a bigger hammer and bigger pry bar. Shiny new tools. I love shiny new tools. DIY is certainly a great way to acquire new tools, have I mentioned I love shiny new tools? Did I mention the pry bar is 60”? Awesome pry bar.

Here are the people your dealing with at the dealer. Local dealer, part of national chain, has a $19.99 synthetic oil change with Honda filter special on Saturday. So I take in my 2012 Civic. Spend 2 hours in the waiting room and showroom while eating free Chic-fil-a breakfast. They also do a "free" maintenance check. They tell me my 18 months on coolant needs changing because "it looks cloudy", and I need new brakes with my next oil change. I tell them I rotate my own tires and a 2000 miles ago at 92,000 miles and I checked the original brakes and based upon the MM left, I can go another 30,000 miles until the suggested replacement thickness. Next oil change I do, 2 screws missing from the aerodynamic pan. Next wheel rotation, a huge wad of gum (at least an an inch and a half) on the suspension. I had also taken the CR-V for its first oil change with another special (I never do the first change myself because you need a lot of leverage to get that filter off). Get back home, check the oil, at the "max" mark. 1,000 miles later, above the max mark. Take it back thinking recall, they just take some out. Still at the max mark. Check under the car, one screw missing from the aerodynamic pan. Both times I go back to the dealer parts department and tell them what happened. they just grab a screw and hand it to me for free. I get to crawl under and finish the job the started. A workmate of mine has as Mazda (mis-da) and he had the dealer do the oil change. Driving down the highway and the back end of the pan starts dragging on the ground, missing the screws.

·
Registered
2018 Honda CR-V EX-L Lunar Silver
96 Posts
I DIY because it is 45 miles one way to the dealership. To get the shortest wait time I have to be there at 7:00 am. The last time I had the synthetic oil changed at the dealer it was 3.5 hours and $89+. Also had to pay for the tire rotation. I don't know where people live to get the $19 oil change, but it would be nice to live there.

O'Reilly's takes my used oil, which I drop off during other errands around town. Yes, it takes me longer to change my oil than 15 minutes...I'm handicapped and have trouble getting up and down. Still less than 30 minutes, plus the oil drop at O'Reilly's.

·
Super Moderator
2,330 Posts
Reason why the $80.00 is not available today. man imagine if I did it myself? we can think about being a DIY but wish we were one but I (not me) stuck paying

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Think I'll start going to my dentist everyday so he can brush/floss my teeth. For that matter, wonder if I could find somebody to breath for me.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
Don't knock a minimum wage man, at least he probably knows how to do the job and is not afraid of getting a little grease on him
By no means I'm knocking on the low income people. As a matter of facts, most low income people can't even afford the tools and space to fix cars. Ironically they are the people who need more car fixing than most due to the kind of cars they can afford. So DYIers are mostly higher income people but not high enough to think "I don't have time for this sh.t. I'll let a grease monkey do it for me so I can enjoy my precious time". It's like the comment about "If you drop $20 on the ground, you would save by bending over and pick it up. if Bill Gates drops $1000 on the ground, it would be better for him not to waste time and pick it up". Obviously I don't see any Bill Gates here.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
^^^^^if Bill Gates drops $1000 on the ground, it would be better for him not to waste time and pick it up".

That statement might be worth another 7 pages/137 posts.

Reactions: VIVADUDE

·
Registered
638 Posts
By no means I'm knocking on the low income people. As a matter of facts, most low income people can't even afford the tools and space to fix cars. Ironically they are the people who need more car fixing than most due to the kind of cars they can afford. So DYIers are mostly higher income people but not high enough to think "I don't have time for this sh.t. I'll let a grease monkey do it for me so I can enjoy my precious time". It's like the comment about "If you drop $20 on the ground, you would save by bending over and pick it up. if Bill Gates drops $1000 on the ground, it would be better for him not to waste time and pick it up". Obviously I don't see any Bill Gates here.
Grease Monkey????
I thought we as a society had evolved past that kind of derogatory stereotype. Guess not.

121 - 140 of 149 Posts