Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

141 - 149 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
I call people who fix cars professionally "mechanic". The snobbish ultra wealthy could use a different term.

·
Registered
297 Posts
By no means I'm knocking on the low income people. As a matter of facts, most low income people can't even afford the tools and space to fix cars. Ironically they are the people who need more car fixing than most due to the kind of cars they can afford. So DYIers are mostly higher income people but not high enough to think "I don't have time for this sh.t. I'll let a grease monkey do it for me so I can enjoy my precious time". It's like the comment about "If you drop $20 on the ground, you would save by bending over and pick it up. if Bill Gates drops $1000 on the ground, it would be better for him not to waste time and pick it up". Obviously I don't see any Bill Gates here.
Not true, and condescending.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Why do maintenance and repairs yourself? Some people don't want to "crawl around on cement under a car" and don't know what they're doing or how to wrench.

I have an independent mechanic I go to who does most of my regular maintenance, but some stuff I do myself.

Sometimes I have to go to the dealer and it has it's benefits. I was there recently for a recall, and they have a great waiting room, coffee, doughnuts, danishes, cold water in liter bottles, WiFi, & TV. They call a LYFT to bring me back home or to work, and when the job is finished they call and ask when is a good time to call for a ride back. When I got the car back it had been very nicely washed and the interior vacuumed.

What I don't like most about the dealer is that you have to talk to the service writer, and not to the mechanic or whoever works on your car.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Drop the vehicle off. Dealer drives you to your work. Dealer picks you up after work. Hand you the keys and on your way.

Sitting at the dealership is for unemployed people.
For reasons I can’t tell.... the dealer is not allowed to, couldn’t, and likely wouldn’t want to drop me off at my work.....

·
Registered
253 Posts
so hire or DIY?
...And the answer is......Drumroll...

Something like a differential change is routine maintenance. You have plenty of time to search information in a service manual, look up YouTube, buy the tools, buy the fluid. This is something you can do at your time of choosing, and take as long as you want doing it. This is the gravy goodness of working on your car.

Something like radiator fans dying, or an alternator going out unexpectedly. This is a bit more difficult because you’ll need to know more, and have more time. You need to learn some diagnostic skills to confirm what you’re doing is correct. You will also need to do it or else your car won’t run. DIY for some may depend on the weather, having a garage, having enough time etc.

Nevertheless it comes down to a few things for me. To DIY, you need 1) to be interested in doing it 2) not be afraid of having to fix your screwup 3) want to spend the time to get the knowledge 4) willing to spend to buy the tools.

Frankly, I’m not sure why the some people here are connecting DIY to “having enough money”, ”being snobby rich”, or “being poor”. DIY-ing cars is something that should be able to bring different people from many different socioeconomic statuses together to talk about their cars, and help each other enjoy wrenching on their cars. I don’t know if Bill Gates works on his car. I know for sure he plays ping pong. I play ping pong. Bill Gates went to watch Ariel Hsing play ping pong in the olympics. She used to be on the USA national team. I have a 1-0 tournament record against Ariel. I think she was 12 years old when I got that win. I can’t play ping pong anymore because my left arm goes numb from a disc bulge in my neck, but I can still work on my cars.

By the way, we bought a used Ford Transit recently. today I lowered the parking hand brake to accommodate a drivers swivel seat. Part of it is to be under the car to reroute the parking brake cable. It was quiet and peaceful under the car, I got about a 30 minute nap under there. Wife woke me up, she brought me some coffee. Working on the car sometimes is gravy, other times it leads to a good cup of coffee.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Something like a differential change is routine maintenance. You have plenty of time to search information in a service manual, look up YouTube, buy the tools, buy the fluid. This is something you can do at your time of choosing, and take as long as you want doing it. This is the gravy goodness of working on your car.

Something like radiator fans dying, or an alternator going out unexpectedly. This is a bit more difficult because you’ll need to know more, and have more time. You need to learn some diagnostic skills to confirm what you’re doing is correct. You will also need to do it or else your car won’t run. DIY for some may depend on the weather, having a garage, having enough time etc.

Nevertheless it comes down to a few things for me. To DIY, you need 1) to be interested in doing it 2) not be afraid of having to fix your screwup 3) want to spend the time to get the knowledge 4) willing to spend to buy the tools.

Frankly, I’m not sure why the some people here are connecting DIY to “having enough money”, ”being snobby rich”, or “being poor”. DIY-ing cars is something that should be able to bring different people from many different socioeconomic statuses together to talk about their cars, and help each other enjoy wrenching on their cars. I don’t know if Bill Gates works on his car. I know for sure he plays ping pong. I play ping pong. Bill Gates went to watch Ariel Hsing play ping pong in the olympics. She used to be on the USA national team. I have a 1-0 tournament record against Ariel. I think she was 12 years old when I got that win. I can’t play ping pong anymore because my left arm goes numb from a disc bulge in my neck, but I can still work on my cars.

By the way, we bought a used Ford Transit recently. today I lowered the parking hand brake to accommodate a drivers swivel seat. Part of it is to be under the car to reroute the parking brake cable. It was quiet and peaceful under the car, I got about a 30 minute nap under there. Wife woke me up, she brought me some coffee. Working on the car sometimes is gravy, other times it leads to a good cup of coffee.

Since this is about a $80.00 rear differential fluid change, that is as far as I kept to not going beyond it? Since we all went Beyond it, lol.

Yes no one here has every tool.
Yes no one here has every part of the car on Hand
Yes no one here may have a spare car to run around, while they work on the main or second one?
Yes no one in here cares who has more funds then other.
Yes no one in here wants to get a micro partical stuck under their manicured nail, that they use for....

I think my Coffee ran out, I have to go grab a Bean or two out of the farms Plain, and grind it up, and grab a coco bean for added flavour at my other field. Oh wait let me get the chauffer or go to my Star bucks..

Never Ending Story, so what else is new.

No pun intended, some members may get hurt s oI rather say we're all kidding around, but really Either you get up change the channel, or use the remote.

141 - 149 of 149 Posts