Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title said guys, i would like to know wich engine oil weight you all using for diy oil change for OZ CRV?
I have 07 CRV-RE and this will be my first 5k oil change after we bought it, I always do oil n filter change @5k/km or 3 months on all my previous cars
I notice most service review here base on US CRV model
the manual give broad range for oil weight againts temp list.. 0-20w to 5w-40w almost picked a mobil1 syn 0-40w for $99/5L
but still not convince wich is the right weight, its almost end of winter here and temp now around 5-25c
I would like the best oil for protection/power/economy :) and all round temp, would be good if i could use same weight oil allyear round..:cool:

cheers

·
Registered
227 Posts
0w20 offers protection at a full range of temperatures, contrary to some beliefs, and will provide the best fuel economy, least engine wear (cold starts) and highest stability. Oils with a higher "spread" of the numbers, 0w40 for example, include more viscosity index improver and are more likely to breakdown over time.

You really don't need to service ANY modern vehicle every 5k unless you are doing serious towing, etc. Every 7,500k would be MORE than enough and that is a VERY conservative number. Modern oils, especially full synthetics, are designed to easily break 12, 15 and even 18k without degradation.

Many of the models leaving Japan nowadays come with a factory fill of 0w10. Don't worry, it works. :)

·
Registered
373 Posts
CRV8, none of the major oil companies (Exxon-Mobil, Caltex, BP, etc.) imports or distributes 0W-20 weight motor in Australia and certainly not Western Australia. You can buy that weight oil via the Internet of course, but that weight oil is not recommended by Honda Australia for your CR-V. Instead, Honda Australia specifically recommends Honda FEO ULTRA ("Fuel Efficiency Oil") 5W-30 or 10W-30. They are fully synthetic oils. Exxon-Mobil also distributes Mobil 1S (synthetic) in 5W-30 and 10W-30 for your model CR-V.

If you have any further questions regarding this matter, I recommend you speak withl Jackie Vergers, who is an Aftercare Consultant at Burwood Honda, Australia's largest Honda dealer, in Victoria Park, WA. You can reach her at 1300 466 845.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you TampaJim, the 0-20w did come across my choice but i cant see any in my local shops plus i did notice most CRV owners that use 1-20w are in USA
I dont do any towing, most of my travel is only to work and back wich is a short 10 min drive @ only on wk end i stretch her legs a bit for 50 odd k's sometimes
I still like the idea of oil change/ 3 months or 5k/kms plus from what i heard the oil filter dont do much after 3k/kms, i rather spend the small time and $ to keep the engine clean for bit more peace of mind mate.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
G'day Ratchet, Thank you for the info and the contact person mate
I will go to burswood Honda and get the 5-30w FEO ULTRA oil and filter at same time, may get 2 sets save the the trips :)
its intresting that my previous VVTI engine also use 10-30w oil direct from the dealer, wonder why Honda wont sell 0-20w oil in Australia.

·
Registered
285 Posts
0w20 and 5w20 are spec'd to meet CAFE requirements here in the U.S. i use 5w30 in our 2008 for year round protection.

·
Registered
844 Posts
0w20 and 5w20 are spec'd to meet CAFE requirements here in the U.S. i use 5w30 in our 2008 for year round protection.
Exactly!
Got to get that fleet average to that rising CAFE number requirement.

·
Registered
373 Posts
G'day Ratchet, Thank you for the info and the contact person mate
I will go to burswood Honda and get the 5-30w FEO ULTRA oil and filter at same time, may get 2 sets save the the trips :)
its intresting that my previous VVTI engine also use 10-30w oil direct from the dealer. Wonder why Honda wont sell 0-20w oil in Australia.
G'day to you as well, sir.

I have another point-of-contact for you at Burswood Honda. A gentleman in their parts department, Pascal Chennen, contacted me to offer his assistance as well. He can be reached at (08) 9311 834 756.

The short answer to your question is 0W-20 weight oil is distributed principally in North America in response to the demands of the United States' automobile industry, which must meet the requirements of the U.S. "CAFE" (corporate average fuel economy) law or pay graduating penalties for failing to do so. The lower viscosity of 0W-20 weight oil saves fuel principally on start-up at lower temperatures, and it performs well in a relatively low rpm, light-load operating environment. Urban environments, in other words. When used in millions of automobiles, it results in a significant fleet-wide fuel savings. Moreover, to the extent that an automobile manufacturer's fleet average betters that required by U.S. law, a manufacturer can earn and sell the energy credits to other manufacturers, and Honda does this. Honda's U.S. energy credits are worth literally tens of millions of dollars each year. Last year, for example, Honda earned over $900 million from CAFE energy credit sales. Toyota Motor Company earned near three billion US$. In the absence of those financial incentives, however, the potential fuel savings for individual vehicle owners are simply less important. And then there's the fact that 5W-30 and 10W-30 oils provide a greater margin of viscosity film-strength in a higher rpm, higher-temperature environment, which is what you are much more likely to experience in Australia.

Take care. Please give my regards to Pascal Chennen if you see him.

·
Registered
844 Posts
G'day to you as well, sir.

I have another point-of-contact for you at Burswood Honda. A gentleman in their parts department, Pascal Chennen, contacted me to offer his assistance as well. He can be reached at (08) 9311 834 756.

The short answer to your question is 0W-20 weight oil is distributed principally in North America in response to the demands of the United States' automobile industry, which must meet the requirements of the U.S. "CAFE" (corporate average fuel economy) law or pay graduating penalties for failing to do so. The lower viscosity of 0W-20 weight oil saves fuel principally on start-up at lower temperatures, and it performs well in a relatively low rpm, light-load operating environment. Urban environments, in other words. When used in millions of automobiles, it results in a significant fleet-wide fuel savings. Moreover, to the extent that an automobile manufacturer's fleet average betters that required by U.S. law, a manufacturer can earn and sell the energy credits to other manufacturers, and Honda does this. Honda's U.S. energy credits are worth literally tens of millions of dollars each year. Last year, for example, Honda earned over $900 million from CAFE energy credit sales. Toyota Motor Company earned near three trillion US$. In the absence of those financial incentives, however, the potential fuel savings for individual vehicle owners are simply less important. And then there's the fact that 5W-30 and 10W-30 oils provide a greater margin of viscosity film-strength in a higher rpm, higher-temperature environment, which is what you are much more likely to experience in Australia.

Take care. Please give my regards to Pascal Chennen if you see him.
Interesting.
I think I'll save that post.:D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Goin to Burswood Honda to pick up the Oil and filter/washer combo, spoken to pascal and the price he quote me was much cheaper then buying a 5L mobil1 oil by it self !! I cant believe it!! :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
HI' Ratchet,
I did mention to pascal you refer me to him today n that you said Hi :)
He was very professional and got all my gear ready to go behind the counter when i got there, I also bought the oil filter removal tool.
I did ask whats the main different between 5-30w and 10-30w, the 5-30w is a syntetic wich can be use for up to 15k interval but recommended 10k interval so i go for the syn oil.
Looks like I will let burswood honda do my 60k service when its due soon..
well looks like tomorow morning oil change day
Thanks again mate :)

·
Registered
285 Posts
Thanks to everyone posting here, it has been an very logical and informative oil thread.

On the subject of extended oil changes, here is a poster child example against it. It is a 2009 Chevy Traverse with 18k miles betwen changes using Amsoil.

See the pictures down the page in this thread:
http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?p=912914

No one should feel guily about changing their oil often. Long engine life is the reward, if that's what you are after.

·
Registered
227 Posts
5,000 kilometers (noted in initial post) is WAY overkill. Modern oils are most definitely capable of going MUCH beyond that. Honda is conservative in their approach, with a typical maintenance minder on a new model firing off around 12,000 kilometers ... depending on operational data. There are "long life" synthetics designed to be serviced at longer intervals of 16,000 kilometers and more.

Personally, I use a full synthetic and service my older CR-V (2000 Gen 1) at 5,000 miles and my newer CR-V will be serviced at MM intervals. I do used oil analysis every few times (we get it at no cost) and have seen NO reason to modify practice ... none.

The example of 18,000 miles (24,000 miles at times) on Amsoil isn't a good idea and not anything that our engineers would be supportive of. However, using the MM to make your recommendation is a VERY safe bet and without it, one can still easily go with my personal interval of 8,000 kilometers barring any extreme circumstances.

There are always those that fight convention (manufacturer's recommendations), but it isn't a good idea IMO.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts