Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 CRV w/auto trans 290K miles that has a bad motor.. I came across a 1997 CRV that runs/drives well but rotted out bad and has 100K miles less than the 1999. Will the motor/trans from the 1997 go right into the 1999? I know the 1997 has less HP but i am not concerned about that, I am looking for a quick swap to get the 1999 back up and running!

If not a direct swap, what would I need to switch out to do the swap?

·
Registered
772 Posts
Installation should be the same set-up. I would definately get the engine wiring harness as well as the computer hardware, especially going from 99 to 97. You are aware the engine/trans drops out the bottom with sub-frame and suspension attached, not a bad thing if you have the right equipement such as a good lift .Good luck, JMHO.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I finally have a 2 post lift (waited a long time for that!!). I have never dropped a motor from the bottom.. is it best not to pull the suspension with it? example, should I pull the axles out and just drop the motor and trans and leave the suspension in the car?

·
Registered
772 Posts
Trust me, it's much easier, you can roll it out of the way, then put it on jack stands and then dissasemble . Remember your dropping the engine cradle with the engine/trans setting in it just like it's in the car. Start @ the front struts on top, leave attached below till you drop the assembly. That's the way the factory does it, even on other makes as well as Honda.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Today is the day I pull it.. Do you pull the engine wiring harness off the motor or disconnect from inside the car and remove with the motor/trans?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts