Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2019 exl awd and with all my cars, i always buy a DRY lifetime air filter with higher air flow from either AEM OR AFE. I live in california and likely wont have oil dilution issues but do you think a higher flow air filter can possibly cause oil dilution(more air more gas)?

Im probably overthinking it lol

Has there been any oil dilution cases in California?

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
No it would not effect it since the Turbo charger and waste gate pretty much determine how much air is getting in.

Rob

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Don’t forget that “butterfly” in the throttle body.........and those tiny intake valves. LOL

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Would an aftermarket filter element in the stock/original filter box have a different sound?

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
That’s what I’m thinking.......those aftermarket noise makers replace the stock air box as well as the filter element and the aftermarket calls them “cold air” intakes.

It appears to me the stock air box is about as good a “cold air” intake one will get......an air scoop just behind/facing the grill, where cold air enters when the car is moving forward.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
If it allows more air flow, it also allows more particulate matter (dirt and dust) to get through.
You aren't going to get any performance increase, so why not use a filter that better protects your engine?

·
Registered
130 Posts
.... but makes your CRV sound better and louder though...
Has anyone else noticed that the exhaust noise from their CRV sounds just like a postal vehicle?

It does for me anyways. When I'm sitting on my couch and I hear that noise I can't tell if it's my wife or the mailman driving down the street towards my driveway.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
A larger paper filter (stock type) will flow more air than a smaller paper filter while filtration should be the same, presuming the paper type is the same between the two.

I’m thinking engineers designed the size of the stock paper element large enough to flow 100+% that the motor can/will draw. The stock air filter seems to me to be very generous in size.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If it allows more air flow, it also allows more particulate matter (dirt and dust) to get through.
You aren't going to get any performance increase, so why not use a filter that better protects your engine?
-lifetime filter
-filtration will be same... Anything that gets thru isnt harmful
-ive seen small mpg gains with higher flow air filters in all my cars

Im not doing it for performance or noise gains(it's a cr-v after all), simply for convenience of not having to buy new filters and possible mpg gains.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Years ago, I bought a name brand, million mile, oil/cotton gauze air filter. When I held it up to the light, I could easily see light thru hundreds of pin holes in the filter element. I thought hummm, how can this thing possibly filter as well as a stock disposable paper filter that has no pin holes. I droped it in anyway.

After x number of miles the color gradually had gone from red/purple to almost black.......I’ll just clean it per the instructions. What a royal PITA that was.......then you gotta let it air dry all day long before re-oiling. Glad I kept the stock paper element so I could drive while waiting for the hi-flow element to air dry before re-oiling.

Anybody want it (if I can find it)?......it’s been in the original box for the past 20+ years. LOL

Lifetime.......that’s a marketing hoax.
Filtration......none thru the pin holes.
MPG Gains......way too many other variables.

My opinion.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Years ago, I bought a name brand, million mile, oil/cotton gauze air filter. When I held it up to the light, I could easily see light thru hundreds of pin holes in the filter element. I thought hummm, how can this thing possibly filter as well as a stock disposable paper filter that has no pin holes. I droped it in anyway.

After x number of miles the color gradually had gone from red/purple to almost black.......I’ll just clean it per the instructions. What a royal PITA that was.......then you gotta let it air dry all day long before re-oiling. Glad I kept the stock paper element so I could drive while waiting for the hi-flow element to air dry before re-oiling.

Anybody want it (if I can find it)?......it’s been in the original box for the past 20+ years. LOL

Lifetime.......that’s a marketing hoax.
Filtration......none thru the pin holes.
Thats why im buying a DRY filter, not oiled.

Dry filter does not have those light holes you see in oiled filters by K&N. Ive seen them and it's silly people would run it.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Thats why im buying a DRY filter, not oiled.

Dry filter does not have those light holes you see in oiled filters by K&N. Ive seen them and it's silly people would run it.

Dayum! You are calling millions of people silly. There may be some deplorables thrown in for good measure. LOL

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Think I’ll stick with OEM stock paper.....no aftermarket. Regarding the ? would an aftermarket element in the stock box sound different?......I was being facetious.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Unless you are planning to spend most of your time driving at the redline speed of your engine, the standard air filter has plenty of capacity. The airflow is proportional to the RPM of the engine.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
The airflow is proportional to the RPM of the engine.

Very true......and once it is understood how tiny those intake valves are, it becomes easy to understand how a properly sized paper filter element will flow 100+% of what a motor is capable of pulling, even at WOT.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Has there been any oil dilution cases in California?
Yes, of course. And probably plenty more that don't realize it.

·
Registered
473 Posts
The airflow is proportional to the RPM of the engine.
Not really. Diesels, yes. Gasoline engines no. In a gasoline engine it’s pretty much proportional to gasoline burned not rpms.

Simple example: an engine pulling a load up an incline at 3k rpm is ingesting much more air through the air cleaner than an engine in neural at 3k rpm’s.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts