Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum, but have been reading for a few months. I appreciate all the informative posts!

I am wondering if anyone in this form has any informed speculation about whether Honda will add a FWD CR-V Hybrid model to its U.S. lineup and when.

I live in the U.S. I do not currently own a Honda, but am interested in the CR-V hybrid. The CR-V combines a combination of features – primarily fuel economy of thy hybrid, interior design (heated/cooled seats and leather interiors are not important to me), and price – that seem to suit my needs better than other similar vehicles. Unfortunately (from my point of view), the 2020 CR-V Hybrid in the U.S. is only available with AWD. I would prefer a FWD version. I live in the suburbs and do not need AWD. I know that the fuel savings from the hybrid as compared to the IC model are not going to provide me any significant financial boon. I also strongly suspect that any additional fuel savings from a FWD system would be very small. Even so, the AWD drive model is a double negative for me because it increases the cost of the vehicle (versus a theoretical FWD model) for a feature I don't want or need and likely reduces fuel economy somewhat. So, what I would like to buy in the U.S. is a FWD CR-V Hybrid. Web searching tells me that that Honda has been selling both AWD and FWD versions of the CR-V Hybrid for more than a year in Europe and China. This suggests to me that the technical challenges of designing an FWD model would not be a bar to selling an FWD model in the U.S. So, I am wondering what are the odds that Honda will add an FWD model to its U.S. lineup. I am also wondering about timing. The 2020 CR-V Hybrid was introduced halfway through the 2020 model year--so would a new FWD Hybrid CR-V be likely to arrive in September as a 2021 model or in March of 2022? I know that Honda’s production is currently shut down and that coronavirus introduces a huge uncertainty, but I am still curious if anyone has thoughts on this.

Thanks,
e_identity

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,214 Posts
Depending on trim/spec, in the UK, there is roughly a £1500 price difference between the 2WD Hybrid and 4WD Hybrid.

Difficult to tell whether the US will get it given that AWD/4WD is very popular there but I guess Honda would rather push that (higher price/yield) than have it watered down by offering a 2WD Hybrid.

On the Hybrid fuel economy - this is also somewhat overlooked. Its not built for efficiency. Hybrids, of all types, are primarily built for emissions compliance, not economy. There is a byproduct of better efficiency, no question, but thats about it.

Thats NOT a criticism of the CR-V Hybrid, I should add.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,620 Posts
My guess is that the first we may see of a FWD hybrid CRV will be when they release the gen6... which I expect for model year 2022.

I really do not see the point in Honda tinkering with the gen5 offerings any more.. since we are approaching gen6 timelines now and the hybrid rolled out on the midlife refresh (2020)

·
Registered
568 Posts
Here in the Uk you can get the FWD but only on the lower spec models
there is so much power available on this CRV I wouldn't want a FWD
I didn't buy mine to save money I bought because I liked it
for over 40 years I have been driving this type of vehicles and this is one of the best

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,214 Posts
I recall test driving the 2WD Hybrid - didnt seem at all different to the AWD model if I am honest.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for all the replies. I appreciate your engaging in the speculation.

The weight of opinion seems to be that a FWD CR-V Hybrid is either unlikely in the U.S. or at least unlikely before 2022. If thedarknight's "higher price/yield" analysis is correct, Honda would only offer FWD in the U.S. if Honda marketing determines that by offering a FWD option in the U.S. it could increase total sales by a quantity sufficient to make up for lower price per vehicle. I have no idea whether Honda would make such a determination. Maybe the current "challenging" economy could play a role in Honda's decision, although I am not at all sure which way that would push them.

Anyway, I need to make a decision about a new vehicle over the next six months. For me personally (I know CRV4575 reached a different conclusion), my experience is that I have spent a lot of time driving FWD vehicles in challenging conditions (snow, ice, rain) and FWD has always been sufficient. I am not saying there may not be clear advantages to AWD in some situations, just that FWD has been sufficient in my experience. If the FWD option were available to me, the CR-V Hybrid would be my clear preference. The current lack of an FWD option (and the limited prospects for that option in the near term) means I will go back and look harder at the competition.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
568 Posts
I spent 6 years with a mk4 mondeo 2ltr diesel 163bhp powershift which i used as a taxi that was FWD
As I was able to drive it to its limits when I didn't have any passengers in the early hours when the police wern't around
It was one of the best cars I have owned It bought a smile to your face everytime you drove it
We all buy cars for diiferent reasons

·
Super Moderator
7,620 Posts
Thank you for all the replies. I appreciate your engaging in the speculation.

The weight of opinion seems to be that a FWD CR-V Hybrid is either unlikely in the U.S. or at least unlikely before 2022. If thedarknight's "higher price/yield" analysis is correct, Honda would only offer FWD in the U.S. if Honda marketing determines that by offering a FWD option in the U.S. it could increase total sales by a quantity sufficient to make up for lower price per vehicle. I have no idea whether Honda would make such a determination. Maybe the current "challenging" economy could play a role in Honda's decision, although I am not at all sure which way that would push them.

Anyway, I need to make a decision about a new vehicle over the next six months. For me personally (I know CRV4575 reached a different conclusion), my experience is that I have spent a lot of time driving FWD vehicles in challenging conditions (snow, ice, rain) and FWD has always been sufficient. I am not saying there may not be clear advantages to AWD in some situations, just that FWD has been sufficient in my experience. If the FWD option were available to me, the CR-V Hybrid would be my clear preference. The current lack of an FWD option (and the limited prospects for that option in the near term) means I will go back and look harder at the competition.

Thanks again!
The one other consideration is Honda CEO's new mandate to consolidate and simplify design and feature variables in Honda vehicles in the world market. Among other things, I imagine this will result in fewer trim levels in future generation Hondas, rather than an ever increasing number as we have seen in the last decade. The CEO is forcing simplification to improve quality levels and profit margin in the very competitive segments they sell in to.

So.. it may well be that a FWD CRV is in the offering in 2022 (or whenever gen6 releases) but only on the base trim level since at the end of the day one of the main motivators to go FWD over AWD in the compact SUV market is cost. This varies by market of course, but I have to say.. in fair weather California, which does not have a climate driven need for AWD... AWD is much more popular among buyers than FWD. Reason: the superior handling in sketchy road conditions of the traction control systems in the AWD.

It would not surprise me if we see gen6 CRVs in only three trim levels (LX, EX, and EX-L) .... as it was years ago with CRVs. With the EX-L being the new Touring level trim in terms of features and capabilities, and the LX being the only trim offered in FWD, and it may only be FWD depending on how hard the CEO of Honda clamps down on the regional marketing teams that have in more recent years been the tail wagging the dog at Honda.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The one other consideration is Honda CEO's new mandate to consolidate and simplify design and feature variables in Honda vehicles in the world market. Among other things, I imagine this will result in fewer trim levels in future generation Hondas, rather than an ever increasing number as we have seen in the last decade. The CEO is forcing simplification to improve quality levels and profit margin in the very competitive segments they sell in to.

So.. it may well be that a FWD CRV is in the offering in 2022 (or whenever gen6 releases) but only on the base trim level since at the end of the day one of the main motivators to go FWD over AWD in the compact SUV market is cost. This varies by market of course, but I have to say.. in fair weather California, which does not have a climate driven need for AWD... AWD is much more popular among buyers than FWD. Reason: the superior handling in sketchy road conditions of the traction control systems in the AWD.

It would not surprise me if we see gen6 CRVs in only three trim levels (LX, EX, and EX-L) .... as it was years ago with CRVs. With the EX-L being the new Touring level trim in terms of features and capabilities, and the LX being the only trim offered in FWD, and it may only be FWD depending on how hard the CEO of Honda clamps down on the regional marketing teams that have in more recent years been the tail wagging the dog at Honda.
Thankswilliamsji! that seems like really informed speculation. Even though not the answer I want, very helpful information. Thanks again!

·
Banned
2020 CR-V Hybrid Touring
54 Posts
I like the AWD. The power distribution is smoother. It's not an off-road 4X4 by any means.

(Personally, I'm waiting for the AWD Type R Civic, since the 300+ hp four is indeed pushing the limits for "hooking up" with a FWD car. :D )

·
Super Moderator
7,620 Posts
I like the AWD. The power distribution is smoother. It's not an off-road 4X4 by any means.

(Personally, I'm waiting for the AWD Type R Civic, since the 300+ hp four is indeed pushing the limits for "hooking up" with a FWD car. :D )

LOL.. a peak tuned Type-R Civic with AWD would be a street monster for sure. :p I can just imagine what the Civic enthusiasts would do with that monster considering how they love to tinker and modify.

·
Banned
2020 CR-V Hybrid Touring
54 Posts
LOL.. a peak tuned Type-R Civic with AWD would be a street monster for sure. :p I can just imagine what the Civic enthusiasts would do with that monster considering how they love to tinker and modify.
All the racing competition (namely, Ford & Subaru) have gone AWD to break through that barrier. It also puts them in a different class, so they don't have to go heads-up with the Type R. (We're talking the full race versions, of course. A fully prepped Type R TC goes for just under $90K, not including the trailer!)

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,214 Posts

What we really need is the Civic Type-R engine in a CR-V.....😁

·
Super Moderator
7,620 Posts
What we really need is the Civic Type-R engine in a CR-V.....😁
The suspension tuning alone, to support the performance of Type-R, would cost thousands.... but yeah.. that would be sweet to see in action.

While the CRV and the Civic on based on the same Civic platform... the suspension and other handling features are quite different and bringing them up to Type-R performance standards would be pricey. But I bet, at some point, some enthusiast actually finds a way to refit a CRV properly with Type-R performance in road handling and driving performance. :p

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,214 Posts
I'm sure someone, somewhere, will make that engine transplant, if only to see what its like!

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,204 Posts
I'm sure someone, somewhere, will make that engine transplant, if only to see what its like!
Well, let's see, the 2019+ Acura RDX has the 2.0L Turbo motor. (err... engine) Stock it produces 272 HP, and with a K-Tuner or Hondata tune that seem to add 30+ HP..........
From the RDX forum:
K-Tuner
Hondata

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,214 Posts
Well, let's see, the 2019+ Acura RDX has the 2.0L Turbo motor. (err... engine) Stock it produces 272 HP, and with a K-Tuner or Hondata tune that seem to add 30+ HP..........
From the RDX forum:
K-Tuner
Hondata
Interesting!

Sadly here in the UK, we have no Acura brand, so wasnt aware of what the line up consists of or what powertrains are available. Useful info! Thank you!

Reactions: JB in AZ

·
Super Moderator
7,620 Posts
Interesting!

Sadly here in the UK, we have no Acura brand, so wasnt aware of what the line up consists of or what powertrains are available. Useful info! Thank you!
The 2.0T is also available on some Hondas here in the US. It has completely replaced the older V6s in the Accord for the Sport trim and as an option on some other Accord Trims. Basically, same engine design as is used in the Acura.

My view... Honda won't put the 2.0T in the CRV.. because it would cannibalize the Acura RDX market, and Honda has been working hard to restore and then grow the Acura line in the US. That said.. if they can put a 2.0T into a current generation Accord (which normally houses a 1.5T) then one could certainly be put into the cavernous engine compartment of the CRV. It would be more complicated than just the engine as Honda pairs the 2.0T with either a 6 or 10 speed transmission, not a CVT. And of course AWD is another complication to overcome. All of which Honda has done in the RDX.. so it is doable for sure.

The current Acura RDXs are also sporting body styling that is very edgy in a Civic sort of way as well. So Honda is definitely serious about growing the Acura market share.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts