Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The gaps on my doors and lift gait are off, but not enough to prevent doors from closing. This is a quality control issue and I'd like Honda to adjust the gaps. I
asked my dealer where I bought the car, and they hemmed and hawed and never gave me an answer. I called Honda IMG_20190823_193313351.jpg
Honda customer service and they also skirted around the issue and told me to go back to the dealer. Am I asking too much?

·
Registered
161 Posts
No, you are not asking too much. I would keep bothering them (nicely of course) and ask for the manager or you can go to a different dealership since warranty will work on any Honda dealership

·
Registered
538 Posts
The gaps on my doors and lift gait are off, but not enough to prevent doors from closing. This is a quality control issue and I'd like Honda to adjust the gaps. I
asked my dealer where I bought the car, and they hemmed and hawed and never gave me an answer. I called Honda View attachment 135246 View attachment 135247 View attachment 135248 View attachment 135249 View attachment 135250 Honda customer service and they also skirted around the issue and told me to go back to the dealer. Am I asking too much?
I never quite
understood not give me an answer. I wouldn't leave till I have an answer.

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L FWD
360 Posts
I offer a contrary opinion, this is not a many million $ vehicle.
To me those Minor seam gaps are normal (even irrelevant) and in short time will pass your being anal (OOPS).

Sorry for expressing my honest opinion.

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L FWD
360 Posts
OK, I feel obligated to tell "the rest of the story."

Long ago my father owned a Buick, Pontiac, and Land Rover dealership. An older customer special ordered an expensive Buick Riviera (with a nearly $7000 window sticker). Big BIG money for all parties.

Several months after accepting the car he was back, apparently the rubber gasket around the trunk lock was bulged on one side. They spent many hours trying to appease him.

I don't know how (or if) it was ever resolved, but to me (a teenager) that was anal. Why didn't he order the 8-track?

I don't know if it was the times (or the exquisite cars), but back then automobiles had a tremendous appeal to me/ and other male teens. Eventually we all discovered the pleasures of both alcohol and females; but ain't this STILL a beauty?

·
Registered
183 Posts
No Honda dealer nor Honda Corporate will do anything about this. You may have received more help with this had you mentioned it during the purchasing process, when you inspected the vehicle but before you signed/paid but even then I doubt anything would have been done. Looser tolerances and cheaper materials are just some of things one should expect with new vehicles at this price point. This goes for all car makers. Any body shop can adjust this for you if it bothers you that much. You'll receive zero monetary return on investment but it may satisfy your ocd so you can enjoy the vehicle. And while you're there, you can have them remove that pinstriping.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,906 Posts
asked my dealer where I bought the car, and they hemmed and hawed and never gave me an answer. I called Honda View attachment 135246 View attachment 135247 View attachment 135248 View attachment 135249 View attachment 135250 Honda customer service and they also skirted around the issue and told me to go back to the dealer. Am I asking too much?
This is a case where I would say.... "be careful what you ask for"

Why? If the dealer starts tinkering with door alignments.. you may end up with more problems then just the current cosmetics that are bothering you. I believe this is precisely why they are giving you mild humming and hawing and pushback both at the dealer and from Honda.

If you look at most new vehicles in this and similar market segments now days (ie: excluding luxury segments) the automakers are putting more margin in spacing into the doors, and lift gates then in past generations. As such.. they are "designed" that way specifically to inhibit fallout and rework inside the factories, while still meeting spec, safety, finish, etc. I've seen increased seam gaping on Hondas, Toyotas, Mazdas, etc in the most recent generations. At the same time, they have gone to different approaches to air-seals behind the gaps to insure sound closure and seal.

Like it or not, the correct answer to this shift by manufacturers on the part of the buyer, is to carefully inspect your vehicle before purchase and it you find the fit and finish not to you liking, reject the vehicle and choose a different one. Most recently, I did this when we bought my wifes 2018 Accord. We test drove one, she liked it and was ready to buy, but I rejected the vehicle because the antenna assembly was not seated flush with the roof of the vehicle.... so we walked directly to the next exact model and color ... did the test drive, and the vehicle passed my visual inspection and we purchased that one instead. I could of course have asked them to fix the antenna on the first one before sale.. but why open a can of worms (they could mess it up, like poor weather sealing, etc) when I could just choose a different vehicle off the lot.

In the old days, before these vehicles were largely made in localized assembly plants in North America and on modern fast and efficient assembly, the Japanese car makers were assembling in Japan and the specs and workmanship in Japan factories was always much more refined, to the point of being perfectionistic. But now days.. such an approach would simply price them out of the market segment(s).

·
Registered
178 Posts
Before driving away with my new Honda, I had to sign the pre-delivery inspection checklist. There must be about 150 or so items on there.

" I acknowledge that the above items have been reviewed "

A week after, I noticed a large dent at the rear door. I'm 99.9% it came that way, but really not much I can do about it. Totally my fault for not giving it a thorough inspection as requested by the dealer at time of delivery. There was a section - "no dents or scratches" checked off and I signed it off. Lesson learned.

There are also other boxes (among others) such as ..."Door closing and fit" and "Hood/Trunk/Gate closing and fit". That was the time to complain ... or walk away from the deal. I personally don't think you have any options.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought the car at the end of 2018 and had to wait two weeks for that color (white diamond pearl). Picking another off the lot would have been out of the question. I needed the car at the time, so I didn't refuse delivery for this issue. But the car does have a "bumper to bumper" warranty for three years, so why not demand better assembly? Anal? OCD? Nah, just demanding.

·
Registered
46 Posts
When asking them to fix the gaps, remember that repairs like that come with their own risk that they could mess something up or even just loosen things from the original factory assembly, so it’s not completely risk free. Think about if it’s really that important.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I agree with people about pre inspection before you drive it home. BUT for many people buying a $30000 a vehicle are big bucks or big payments. Honda or any brand automobile should have inspected the vehicle off the assembly line and fixed it or used it for testing.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
I bought the car at the end of 2018 and had to wait two weeks for that color (white diamond pearl). Picking another off the lot would have been out of the question. I needed the car at the time, so I didn't refuse delivery for this issue. But the car does have a "bumper to bumper" warranty for three years, so why not demand better assembly? Anal? OCD? Nah, just demanding.
Yeah..even today.. White Pearl CRVs can be scarce at the dealers, so I understand.

That is what I would do, in your situation... take back and make them fix it... or replace it with a properly assembled one if they can't fix it.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
I agree with people about pre inspection before you drive it home. BUT for many people buying a $30000 a vehicle are big bucks or big payments. Honda or any brand automobile should have inspected the vehicle off the assembly line and fixed it or used it for testing.
A lot of time... damage is post factory shipment and poor dealer prep.

Not likely in this case... this appears to be more of a quality escape from the factory.

Probably assembled late in the afternoon on a Friday, when the US or Canadian assembly workers were more focused on going home for the weekend. Or it is a Monday "hangover" assembly job.

Lemons do come out of factories sometimes (for all brands) ... and some can be remedied.. and in some cases Honda buys them back and replaces them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Perhaps Honda won't reimburse the dealer for work that Honda doesn't think is necessary. The door gaps may be in that category.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Wow...let it go. This is NOTHING. This is as good as it gets. All manufacturers cant get everything lined up perfectly.

Do it yourself if you really want it perfect and at the same time you're gonna mess up the paint on the door bolts and door jam.

Look at the gaps on tesla vehicles, now those are horrendous and require adjustment.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I am not exactly sure what you are seeing in those gaps.
Generally, a 4.5mm gap is what Honda maintains +/- 1mm either way.

Doors and door openings are pretty fixed. If you widen the gap at one point it will close it at another. There are no places where one gap adjustment won't affect another. Setting a door in or out for s more flush fit could result in difficulty opening and closing or an air leak. In other words, be careful what you wish for.

Tell me specifically what your complaint is. Hopefully, I can shed some light on the issue.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Look at the gaps on tesla vehicles, now those are horrendous and require adjustment.
Don't get me started on those things.
I hate them and most of their owners.

Reactions: Higgy Baby

·
Registered
533 Posts
Oh boy, we have come to expect a lot from the car manufacturers nowadays. I remember back in the 80's, this problem was very common in domestic cars (uneven gaps between door panels).

I don't think they're going to fix it for you. This must be a out-of-tolerance machine at Honda plant that drilled the holes off a bit. To me it is not a flaw but just a build variance so I don't think they're going to fix it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm glad I'm not a Tesla owner. I'd feel bad if you hated me with out even knowing me.

I did say most.

The customers I have had in my shop most of them are very pretentious and condescending.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts