Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok everyone. Really need your help with this one. I am fairly mechanically incline and this one has me very confused. Just purchased a 2003 honda cr v automatix. 2.4 liter. was running fine for the first couple days. After about the 4th day, when turning the key, the starter does not activate. However, the first day of this problem, it would after turning the key a couple of times. Thought that may be the problem. BUT, the next day, it did not continue to work that way. So with that being said, I thengot very frustrated after checking all wires and noises I could. Everything click that should both under the hood and behind the dash. Well, after getting frustrated, I began to tap the brakes in a very fast rapid motion, while holding the key in the crank position. It cranked and fired off. Well, I took the chance, shut the vehicle off, and tried started it again. It did not start. I pumped the brakes again very quickly and hard and it again started. Now I dont know if it something that may be loose and the vibration of me striking the brakes is what has cause it, but i have tried everything. Heres is a list for those of you who may ask for:
I have shifted it in nuetral and tried starting it.
Starter tested fine.
Battery Tested Fine.
All dash lights come on.
Security system is on it.
wiggled key but it is pointless, it activate all lights still.
Parked it so it would roll downhill....starts more often.
Parked it rolling forward down hill, will not start at all.
GUARUNTEED to start when mashing brakes quckly and repetatively.

PLEASE HELP!!!, i have a nuetral saftey switch on order, but I am not completely sure that is it....

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
How many times did you tried to start it in neutral? What's the odometer reading? Do you have another key to try? Let me know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, some new stuff to add. otto888man just to answer your question, many many many. Have not other key. But here are some more things just tried that are leading me away from the safety switch.
- while holding key in crank position and slamming door shut, starts every time.
- while holding key in crank position, stomping foot, car will start.

now I have diasassembled the stearing cover and took a hammer and lightly tapped all mechanism in the column to concentrate the vibration of what ever is starting it. Nothing. wiggled all wires attached to all things, and still no good. holy cow where to go from here?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh, and i have check all terminals and grounding connection. (there are only 2, one to fram and one to connection to engine) everything is clean and tight.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Sounds like something in the cabin. Where the shifter lever around it try to bang it with your fist, but be sure that you do not damage anything see if the engine starts. Let me know.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts