Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will not start, fast clicking noise, dash lights "fluttering" with the clicking noise

Has anyone had this issue - 2013 CRV, car will not start, fast clicking noise and the speedometer meter is flashing with each click. Car totally dead otherwise.

·
Registered
381 Posts
car will not start, fast clicking noise ...
That's what any car would do if it had a weak or dead battery, without enough power to turn over the starter. That would be my first guess.

Perhaps try jump starting it. to see if the extra power from another vehicle makes this behavior go away? Or even better, test it with a load tester, if you have one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, however...

That's what any car would do if it had a weak or dead battery, without enough power to turn over the starter. That would be my first guess.

Perhaps try jump starting it. to see if the extra power from another vehicle makes this behavior go away? Or even better, test it with a load tester, if you have one.
Thank you - that is what I would normally think and I will try the jump; however the strange thing is that this is happening without the key in the ignition.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Check the battery cable connectors for tightness and cleanliness.
I don't understand what you are saying "this is happening without the key in the ignition".
Do you mean it keeps making this noise even 'after' you turn the key off and remove it?
If so, it may be a faulty ignition switch and it may be shorting out. If the key cylinder is getting hot, I would disconnect the battery until you get someone to fix the problem so that it doesn't cause more damage or even a fire.
A clearer picture is needed.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
252 Posts
Thank you - that is what I would normally think and I will try the jump; however the strange thing is that this is happening without the key in the ignition.
Is this happening when you open the door and enter the vehicle, or is it sitting there empty "clicking" with the speedometer flashing all on it's own like it's possessed? Is the clicking coming from the dashboard or under the hood?

·
Registered
776 Posts
I assume (I know) the clicking is the starter solenoid trying to engage but not enough juice to get the job done. I'd be inclined to get it to the dealer before more damage is done !! This from a guy who dislikes dealers intensely. Good luck, let us know what happens. Craig

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
no aftermarket starters dont cause these issues (not sure why it was even posted). Doesnt matter how makes the starter they all function the same. All that differs is quality and lifespan. Honda issued parts last a lot longer

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts