Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe wishful thinking on my part, but since they've completely re-engineered the Civic and the CRV for MY 2016 and 2017 respectively, is it not possible that they could introduce a sport edition of the CRV with the engine from the Civic Type R (2.0T I believe)? If they would introduce such a trim, while it wouldn't lead on fuel economy, it would certainly crush the RAV4, CX-5, Rogue, Escape, etc. on driving experience. The RAV4 used to share the 3.5L V6 with the Camry and Highlander and it was a blast to drive. All that extra power in a small SUV made it feel that much more like a touring sedan.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
If I'm Honda, such a drivetrain is going in the next RDX. And there's a lot more to "driving experience" than the engine; Ford and Mazda have tuned their steering and suspensions for a much "sportier" ride than the CR-V. That's not a good or bad thing, (there are compromises involved), just a design decision.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Based on the long history of the CRV, I don't see any changes. However, I think the LX will come in line with the rest of the lineup and get the turbo engine rather than the 2.4.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I think that if one wants a sports car one should buy a sports car. I find the CR-V to be perfect the way it is - that's why it's a top seller.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I am trading my 2015 EX-L in for a 2017 Touring. Really hope their is no major change in engines from a personal point of view as I am taking a bit of a haircut moving to the 2017 and don't want to regret the decision IF a stronger engine comes out next year.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I am trading my 2015 EX-L in for a 2017 Touring. Really hope their is no major change in engines from a personal point of view as I am taking a bit of a haircut moving to the 2017 and don't want to regret the decision IF a stronger engine comes out next year.
It's possible that by the time a new engine comes out your hair will have grown - you'll be able to get another haircut then.

In all seriousness, I doubt there will be major changes. However, that engine bay seems to want to fit a J-Series quite nicely.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I think any engine enhancements will be reserved for the upcoming Acura RDX and that is why the engine compartment is as large as it is. There needs to be a reason people would choose the RDX over the CTV and an upgraded engine choice would be available.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The larger compartment could also probably accommodate a Hybrid.
Its not for any other engine to fit. Can u imagine a crv having a wider body but with a smaller and shorter engine compartment. Its size was engineered to be proportioned to the body and style. Small engine doesnt mean small compartment sacrificing the actual look.

But im expecting a 2.0 Turbo Crv so everyone would be motivated to upgrade.

It will have greater torque to pull heavier trailer.

Aside from that competitors runs on 2.0 turbo to match the competition.

It might also have the self parking technology.

Auto folding side mirrors when engine shuts down

Exhaust pipe will be at the center or replaced by bigger oval shape

Front will be more sportier like the hatchback.

Sound system will be more livelier with 10 inch subwoofer powered by JL amplifier 500 watts

Bigger wheels like wrangler making it taller and wider.

Blueray/dvd player with two headrest monitor

Runningboard/Stepboard

All led interior light may be have option to have blue

Now who couldnt resist to upgrade again.

But if its lesser than these. No way I will have a second thought of upgrading.

Just my two cents....

·
Registered
730 Posts
Isko, I'm sure you are mostly joking with your list of features on a future model.

I think if people believe Honda would come out with a CR-V "Sport" next year, (or any year in the future) they really do not understand Honda's philosophy of doing more with less. Honda chose to use a 1.5L Turbo while everyone else is using a 2.0L turbo, because it's what Honda does. Read more about "Earth Dreams" and you will understand a little more about Honda's vision. They know how to make small, very efficient, engines. For example, the Hyundai Santa Fe can be optioned with a 2.0L 240 Hp engine, but is it really any faster 0-60 than the new CR-V? Only by 0.2s, and the fuel economy of the Santa Fe is only rated (20/27) versus the CR-V (26/32).

To even ask the question, is not understanding how Honda thinks as a corporation. Honestly, I'd have to call the 2017 CR-V the "Performance Model" of the 2016 CR-V, the new 1.5L turbo charged engine cut the 0-60 time by 0.5s to 1.0s (depending on which published times you read).

·
Registered
50 Posts
No. The asian manufacturers that have a luxury or semi-luxury marque have decided that if you want better performance in a compact crossover you are going to pay for it...through the nose. If you want something with more power they want you in a Lexus or Acura. Otherwise, see Subaru/Chevy-GMC/Ford/Jeep.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Its not for any other engine to fit. Can u imagine a crv having a wider body but with a smaller and shorter engine compartment. Its size was engineered to be proportioned to the body and style. Small engine doesnt mean small compartment sacrificing the actual look.

But im expecting a 2.0 Turbo Crv so everyone would be motivated to upgrade.

It will have greater torque to pull heavier trailer.

Aside from that competitors runs on 2.0 turbo to match the competition.

It might also have the self parking technology.

Auto folding side mirrors when engine shuts down

Exhaust pipe will be at the center or replaced by bigger oval shape

Front will be more sportier like the hatchback.

Sound system will be more livelier with 10 inch subwoofer powered by JL amplifier 500 watts

Bigger wheels like wrangler making it taller and wider.

Blueray/dvd player with two headrest monitor

Runningboard/Stepboard

All led interior light may be have option to have blue

Now who couldnt resist to upgrade again.

But if its lesser than these. No way I will have a second thought of upgrading.

Just my two cents....
I think you are talkng about Gen 6 in 4 or 5 years.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Outside of Car & Driver making Honda a number 2 choice, I can not fathom Honda doing any kind of evolutionary change in under several years. Unless they got bought out by a domestic mfr. lol

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
If you look at Honda historically they will not make any changes to the CR-V for at least two or three years. Normally they are on a five year design cycle with a "refresh" in the middle. This would probably only change if there was some major flaw in the design or if the competition really sat on them with some great leap forward. I went through this same thought process when I bought my 2012 CR-V. They did the midlife changes at three years (2015-2016 models) but the changes were not enough for me to upgrade. I waited the entire five years and won on that bet with this new 2017 Touring sitting in the garage. I will keep it until the next major upgrade.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts