Votes: 17 7.1%
  • not sure

Votes: 41 17.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
I plan to buy in about two years, and am hoping that the next-generation Element (if it materializes) will fit the bill. Otherwise I'll be looking at non-Honda models like the upcoming Volvo XC50 and Audi Q5.

For years I just assumed I'd buy another V, but its new direction isn't really for me alas. While the Pilot and Ridgeline are certainly nice, they're more vehicle than I need, and use more fuel than I'd feel good about.

·
Registered
583 Posts
bush555 said:
and am hoping that the next-generation Element (if it materializes) will fit the bill.
The next gen Element *will* materialize btw. I've had so much success with Honda and they continue to do great things, so I just don't see any reason to get anything else. Now, my wife may end up with a Civic if her commute keeps up, but otherwise... yep. ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
buying/rebuying SUV...

We have found the CR-V (2004, AWD, Auto) very functional. As a daily commuter (< 40 miles per day), we would love to see mpg closer to 30+. As a vehicle used to spend the week vacationing and camping, it has plenty of room. The Summer of '05 saw a trip to Cape Breton, NS for two weeks. We drove 3,000 miles during that time. The first day out was a l-o-o-o-o-ng ride from NE Pennsyvania to St. Stephen, New Brunswick. The drive was comfortable and trouble free. I did not keep track of mpg, because I did not want to do liter to gallon conversions. Other long drives to the Adirondacks and New England on a variety of roads have yielded 26 - 28 mpg.

My concern with all vehicles is that they should run cleaner and have vastly improved mpg. I believe the tecnology is available, but the cost of improving both emissions and mpg would drive up the cost. Until we, as consumers, start pushing this issue, we will continue to get mediocrity. Thankfully, Honda appears to be a bit more socially responsible and will hopefully lead the way.

Would I buy another CR-V? YES, BUT I WANT MORE MPG AND LESS EMISSIONS.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I love my crv

I love my 2004 EX CRV. It very functional and has near perfect specifications and dimensions. I probably couldn't think of anything that I wouldn't like........
hmmm... on second thoughts I would like to get rid of the high road noise.

I guess thats the reason why Honda retained quite a bit in its 3rd generation.

I managed to get 29.8 mpg on a 400 mile trip, while consistently driving at around 65 miles per hour. I surely would like to break into 30+ mpg milestone.
However, on an average I get 22-24 mpg which is decent.

I don't like the 3rd generation for its more girlist looks. I liked the original space saving gear lever and the rear gate.
I wished more men had purchased it.......

·
Registered
5 Posts
Honda CRV is safe as it gets

The wife and I just survived a head on collision in our 2005 CR SE. The combined speed was over 80mph. We collided with a 2002 Accord. We all survived thanks to Honda's safety design. The other driver and I suffered only bruises while the wife suffered a crack in the sternum from the seat belt and bone chip in the left hand.
We will not ever buy an automobile with less than a 5 Star rating. We just took delivery of a 2007 CRV EX-L with the expectation that it will have a 5 star rateing. We believe that the CRV saved our life. Also the folks at the emergency room claim that the Honda accidents seem to have the highest survival rate.
Another reason we purchased the CRV over others that have a 5 star safety rating is that it is flat towable behind our Motor Home. Not to mention Honda's reliability.

·
Registered
583 Posts
rtachner said:
We believe that the CRV saved our life. Also the folks at the emergency room claim that the Honda accidents seem to have the highest survival rate.
The ER docs see it all too. Here's another good one. My buddy sells cars for Chevrolet. He told me that recently his dad asked what car he'll buy now that he's been in the auto business for several years now, working for several dealerships and now being at Chevy. He answered Honda. His dad seemed curious, asking why. His response: we hardly ever see any come in on trade. Nobody wants to get rid of them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
rtachner said:
We believe that the CRV saved our life. Also the folks at the emergency room claim that the Honda accidents seem to have the highest survival rate.
Wow, thanks for sharing rtachner! We have a 3 year old daughter and I insisted on getting the safest car we could but still remain in the realm of practicality (i.e. no Hummers for us). We chose a 2005 CR-V since it had all of the newest safety features. Your note brings comfort in our decision…I just hope we never have to test them ourselves.

My wife drives the CR-V and now I’ve got my eye on a 2007 Element (been lurking over at elementownersclub.com for months now). It seems to be the best compromise between utility and fuel economy, plus it has a certain degree of the “fun-factor” that is missing from other market offerings.
:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Honda forever!!!

I can't imagine anyone owning a Honda and not wanting another. Honda often loses sells to people moving up to a BMW or Benz, but once they come to their senses, they usally come back. Thoses cars are wonderful, but the repair bill are high and a spoiled Honda owner won't put up with that for long.

I put slightly over 200,000 on a 84 accord LX and sold it to a kid going to college. It was still in good shape, but I had too many other Honda's and wasn't driving it much.

Between my daughter and I, we put about 177,000 miles on a 89 Accord LX-i and sold it to a young lady in need of a car. I hated to part with that one. It had all the Honda Accessories added (One of the first accessory CD players offered, spoiler, moonroof visors, acc armrest, front bra, etc.) and had an aftermarket alarm w/remote start. She got married and her husband bought her a new Accord in 2005.

As you can see from my signature, I still have a 98 Civic hatchback, a 98 CR-V EX, a 2000 S-2000 & a 2005 Odyssey Touring. Every Honda I've owned has been relatively trouble free, although the Odyssey may proved to be trouble prone (for a Honda, that is). I've done front brake pads twice and had the rotors turned, all under warranty in less than 25,000 miles and its never been in rush hour (only highway). I've had a DVD get stuck and the DVD player was replaced under warranty. I've also had adjustments made to the power rear tailgate under warranty. I haven't spent any money, but thats more than I've done to my '98 Civic, '98 CR-V and '00 S2000 combined. This is still the best van money can buy.

Inspite of the Odyssey's few problems, I will buy nothing but Honda/Acura products in the future. That new CR-V may have to grow on me, though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Love our CR-V, 1999, but if I were to buy a new SUV today I would have to go elsewhere. Probably one of the Subaru wagons with the outback trim. The look of the new V just does nothing for me. The 1st two body styles were unique. The new one just blends in with herd.

Maybe by the time I am ready to replace the existing V Honda will have one that looks decent again. If all else fails maybe the Fit will evolve into something more like what the 1st gen V is. Slightly bigger motor and 4wd dive in the fit would be nice. Actually drove a Fit recently and was please with the room, ride and handling. Just a bit anemic to dive with 4 people in it. The 2.0 motor from the 1st gen V would be a good motor for the Fit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I Echo S2000black's posting

I just recently purchased a new 2007 Honda CR-V EX and I just love it. Honda always has the knack for improving an already good auto and making it even better. I previously owned a 2001 CR-V and loved it as well although I do like the improved horsepower in the 2007 model. The new Honda makes it
number ten Honda for me since 1975 and I was hooked ever since I had my
1975 Civic CVCC and have owned two Civics, four Preludes, two Accords (the 2003 I still have) and two CR-V's. Honda makes such a quality product and I
also like the styling that I don't see any reason to change to anything else.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Navigation is nice

The wife was never into complicated gadjets before but after I bought her a 2007 EX-LX with navigation, she wouldn't be without it. The 3 month XM radio is great since she likes the 50's music. We traded her 2004 and she is glad the spare tire is inside the Honda since she thought she was driving an off road style jeep with it on the rear door.
The heated leather seats are great in the mornings. Taking it back this week for paint protection, rust protection etc. which also includes the LOJACK. I know someone that got there car back the next day thanks to the LowJack device.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just got my V a week ago and I love it. My husband also loves it, so much that he said that he would almost want to trade in his Suburban to get one (This is a big deal for him, because he is a HUGE fan of large vehicles such as Suburbans and lifted trucks). The V just has such a pull that he can't resist! We argue about who gets to drive it now when we are going somewhere together because we both want to drive it so badly! If anything were ever to happen to it, I wouldn't consider any other vehicle!

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Yes I Think

It is kind of early to tell, I like a lot of things. Dislike a few but right now I would have to say that I would buy another Honda. The other thing that influences my opinion is the brand loyalty, and not that macho Chevy vs Ford nonsense. I have never met someone who owned a Honda not buy another one. Honda owners seem to have brand loyalty like some people have religion, but it always based on common sense and reason--not competitive hogwash.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Buying a new CR-V? Probably not.

I drive a 2004 CR-V and wanted to buy a 2007, the one with the stability control system. Unfortunately, I began the process too late, finding all were sold. The 2008, although beautiful, isn't my kind of car, thus leaving me with only the Element as a choice (I don't want a V-6 engine, so the Pilot is out). Frankly, I like the Element, except for the stupid location of the sunroof. I like and use a sunroof -- won't buy a car without one -- but can't figure out why the engineers cut the damn thing over the back seat.
Well, yes I can. It has to do with the vehicle framework. Those open-wide doors cause a certain amount of body flex and a forward-positioned sunroof would add to the flex. Instead of reinforcing the box, the engineers, with the help of marketing, though it clever to place it over the back seat.
You hear and read multiple complaints on this, so their plan has backfired.
Another plan, the one of make the Element a youth-styled vehicle isn't working too well either. Most owners I see are middle-aged and use it as a utility vehicle.
Hopefully, when redesigning the ugly little thing, Honda will realize the world more needs a small, logical and effective SUV, one with a correctly positioned sunroof. A low-range gearing option would be nice, too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I traded in my 2006 V for a 2007 V (we got rear ended, not much damage). Since the 06 was in a collision, I wanted to get a new car, so we bought the 07 V, and we stayed with the V because of safety, specially with the first baby comming into the picture. We usually spend the weekend out of town, and this weekend (now with the baby) we travel with A LOT of stuff.

On the silent drive back to our house I was thinking of a Pilot (for the added space), then broke the silence to make the comment to my wife, and guess what? she was thinking the same. WE LOVE HONDA CARS!, specially for reliable and safe. So when the new Pilot comes out, who knows! maybe I'll trade in the V for a Pilot...

On the other side, I wan to change my car (the V is my wife's), I currently drive a '94 F-250 truck (which by the way is very reliable too but uses gas like crazy), so I want to get a real offroader, so I may get a Toyota FJ.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Don't Like the 2007 CRV Style

Love our CR-V, 1999, but if I were to buy a new SUV today I would have to go elsewhere. Probably one of the Subaru wagons with the outback trim. The look of the new V just does nothing for me. The 1st two body styles were unique. The new one just blends in with herd.

Maybe by the time I am ready to replace the existing V Honda will have one that looks decent again. If all else fails maybe the Fit will evolve into something more like what the 1st gen V is. Slightly bigger motor and 4wd dive in the fit would be nice. Actually drove a Fit recently and was please with the room, ride and handling. Just a bit anemic to dive with 4 people in it. The 2.0 motor from the 1st gen V would be a good motor for the Fit.
I agree, I don't like the look of the 07 CRV. I prefer the style of my 2000 CRV. If i get another Honda i would go for the Pilot or a Ford Explorer

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
The New Look

I agree, I don't like the look of the 07 CRV. I prefer the style of my 2000 CRV. If i get another Honda i would go for the Pilot or a Ford Explorer
A common opinion expressed in the forums is owners of previous generations don't like the looks of the 07. I am new to CR-Vs so I don't have any image history. Infact until about 2 months ago, I don't know that I had ever looked at CR-V other than noting the tailights. My choice of vehicles was an Ody, but I couldn't justify the size of the vehicle or the gas mileage. I wanted to sit high, have some utility space, have better gas mileage, and I wanted a Honda. That narrowed things down to an Element or a CR-V. My wife and I both love the looks of an Element, so ugly it is cool. Actually it looks like an rhinocerous. But we didn't like the comfort or the rear doors. So I looked at the CR-V. Looking only at the internet site, I thought it was a very dumb looking vehicle. The lower grill looked like some carricature of some one smiling so hard their lips meet their eyes. Two dimensional pictures, square on, don't do this car any justice. First time I walked into a dealer and actually laid eyes on one, my opinion changed. It is neat looking car! I fell in love with it at first sight. Heard angels sing and other paranormal phenomena!

If you are thinking about replacing your older CR-V with some other brand, at least go see one in the flesh at dealer first. If you are basing your opinion on pictures or quick glimpses on the road, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 66 Posts