Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm looking to put a 3000lb winch on the front of my '97. anybody done this before? not looking for self recovery (got my '73 bronco for 4 wheeling and it has an 8000lb winch), more for work. i'm a mobile mechanic so sometimes i need to move something, or pull on an axle, or something of that nature.

i'm thinking about welding a piece of 1.5" square across the front between the tow tabs, then welding a piece of flat plate sticking out to bolt the winch to.

anybody got other ideas or pics?

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Actually, that idea you have sounds pretty good. You could also run a seperate frame rail and attach it somewhere in the back of the car, or you could have the winch mounted to the inside of the trunk, and have it operate when the door is open.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i decided i didn't want it sticking way out the front all the time, so i made a plate for it to mount it in the rear receiver. i may make a front receiver eventually, but since it's primarily for work it'll do real nice. i ran a power cable to the front to the battery, then put a quick plug on it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hitch

Why not make it so winch will install in a two inch receiver hitch!! Is pretty easy then can take winch out and stow it away. Just a thought to ponder. We do this on atv's.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh no, did you mount it too high and open the rear door into it?
no, that damage was there when i got the car. :rolleyes: the door still opens fine, and it looks like it'll get it's first job next week or so. radius arm bushings on a '69 F-250, i'll use it to pull the I beams forward.

Why not make it so winch will install in a two inch receiver hitch!! Is pretty easy then can take winch out and stow it away. Just a thought to ponder. We do this on atv's.
that's what i did, it's in a class II 1.25" receiver. eventually i may have a front hitch made too so i can mount it up front if ever needed.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I think it would have been better on the front of the car, since the car is a unibody frame, there would be more support up front, but I guess if it can use it to tow in the back, it could winch. I've never done it before, just a thought.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, i'm a mobile auto mechanic and i work out of my V. so if i need it for leverage, this truly is the best spot for it.

·
Registered
681 Posts
If you ever make the receiver for the front, let me know. I will be more than happy to buy one off of you

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
update on this;

i used it the other day and this location is great! still have access to my tools, not too much trouble to work around the winch. it pulled the suspension on the truck i was working on without even thinking about it.

i am going to do a front hitch too, but i need an opinion. the 2 tie down tabs hanging on the front of the frame (if you can call it that) have stickers that say "no tie down". a friend of mine is GIVING me a class II hitch i plan on welding to these 2 tabs. does anybody have any thoughts on why these wouldn't be strong enough? why would honda put these tabs on then put stickers saying not to use them?

·
Registered
681 Posts
I cant figure it out. I think this is how people mount the tow mechanisms to the CR-V. I know it is strong enough to tow the V if this is the case.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts