Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from the gas station where I filled two 5 gallon containers and put them in the back of the car. (2017 LX) I smelled some fumes so I opened the two rear windows at 55mph. Wow, the buffeting was so severe I thought someone put square tires on the car. It shook the mirror too. Try it and see if yours is the same. It will really get your attention. Opening the front windows a bit stopped the noise.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Almost everything that I have ever driven that had 4 doors does that. If you have a sun/moon roof, cracking that will help. Also set your HVAC to fresh air. The buffeting happens because the air is being sucked out of the cabin fast enough to draw a vacuum. Imagine a big invisible speaker in the window with the bass turned all the way up. That is what the air is doing. If you have a path for air to travel through the cabin this will be greatly diminished, or eliminated all together.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
On nice days I like to drive with the rear windows about half way down and the fronts open all the way, or at least just the driver's side windows. Hardly any air comes in the driver's window yet there's a nice breeze in the car. 'Roof open is a nice add to this config also.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Has anyone tried window deflectors to minimize the buffeting? Something like these from WeatherTech?

I have a dog and she sticks her head out the rear windows, which means I have to have the other two windows down, at least partially. Kind of a PITA, so I'd like to alleviate the buffeting. It would be nice to just have the two windows down and not have to worry about adjusting for it (yes, I have a sunroof).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts