Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
did anyone notice excessive wind noise, road noise or tire noise in the 17 cr v. I can hear wind noise in mine at 40+ mph.The car is quiet on smooth surface, but it makes loud tire noise on uneven surface or when the tires hit pavement markers. louder than my 14 accord.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
did anyone notice excessive wind noise, road noise or tire noise in the 17 cr v. I can hear wind noise in mine at 40+ mph.The car is quiet on smooth surface, but it makes loud tire noise on uneven surface or when the tires hit pavement markers. louder than my 14 accord.
If you think it's noisy, you should hear a gen 4 CRV. Gen 5's are much better with regards to road & wind noise with a more civil ride. But an Accord it's not. The Accord is more stream lined, closer to the ground smaller frontal area. With a Crossover/SUV you start with a giant shoe box and round off the edges a bit. As for the road noise, the CRV is sporting light truck/SUV tires not passenger car tires. How many more lbs of addition insulation do you add to offset the noisy treads.

I would love to have the quieter smoother ride of a Acura RDX with its additional 500lbs. But not for $10k more and less MPGs.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I came from a 2011 Honda Fit. Compared to what I had, I consider my EX AWD very quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
5 Posts
Anyone know of an auto reviewer who does a Db interior noise level test?

Seems like a natural idea: lay out a section of track with different surfaces, drive cars over it at the same speed with a sound meter in the same spot (maybe suspended between the driver and passenger seat near the roofline), then line graph the results for comparisons.

·
Registered
1 Posts
okay 1st post for new member.
Finding time to actually post. I am in Canada and whether you have the Bridgestone or the Hankook (Touring, like I have), they are both noisier. We do not exactly have very good flat or quality asphalt up here which makes it worst. They once replace a section of asphalt on part of a bridge and God know what they were using but that patch was super quiet on any tires. I am thinking of replacing for a more performance Michelin tire. Of all the tires I've tested, they remain the quietest of the lot. I often drive in a spirited way and go through a set of tires between 2-3 yrs max.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Agree it's somewhat noisy, but if you switch to decent passenger car tires it can help. (assuming you don't intend to take your CR-V off-road) I switched to Michelins and it made a noticeable difference in both noise and comfort. There's nothing I know of that you can do about the wind noise. I went over it with my service manager, drover several different examples of the CR-V and they all made exactly the same wind noise at the same speeds.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have driven 2006 crv, odyssey, 2014 sienna, accord, 2016 crv, rav4, subaru wrx, lexus nx, rdx, mercedes benz, sprinter. When I said my 2017 crv has loud wind noise and tire noise, I really meant it's louder than all other cars I have driven. It's so noisy that it irritates the ears.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you think it's noisy, you should hear a gen 4 CRV. Gen 5's are much better with regards to road & wind noise with a more civil ride. But an Accord it's not. The Accord is more stream lined, closer to the ground smaller frontal area. With a Crossover/SUV you start with a giant shoe box and round off the edges a bit. As for the road noise, the CRV is sporting light truck/SUV tires not passenger car tires. How many more lbs of addition insulation do you add to offset the noisy treads.

I would love to have the quieter smoother ride of a Acura RDX with its additional 500lbs. But not for $10k more and less MPGs.
I have driven 2006 crv, odyssey, 2014 sienna, accord, 2016 crv, rav4, subaru wrx, lexus nx, rdx, mercedes benz, sprinter. When I said my 2017 crv has loud wind noise and tire noise, I really meant it's louder than all other cars I have driven. It's so noisy that it irritates the ears.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Anyone know of an auto reviewer who does a Db interior noise level test?

Seems like a natural idea: lay out a section of track with different surfaces, drive cars over it at the same speed with a sound meter in the same spot (maybe suspended between the driver and passenger seat near the roofline), then line graph the results for comparisons.
check alex on auto review on 2017 CRV in youtube , he does the db noise level on all the cars he reviews. He mentioned its 70 db for 2017 CRV which is on par with competitors or for this class.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Probably one of the quietest car we have owned. Some people are just never happy :(
Well now, that was snippy... Quiet in a new car is not an unreasonable expectation. I totally love my '16 LX 2WD which I recently bought new...but there is more road noise than I expected. Tires might help... little sound deadening in the doors might help...it's not my priority project but I likely will take a stab at it soon. I agree it's not a Lexus... but It's just what wifey and I wanted! :D :D

·
Registered
730 Posts
"Equally encouraging is the effort to reduce interior noise levels; we measured 69 decibels at a steady 70-mph cruise, a 2-decibel decrease in ambient interior noise levels over a previously tested 2015 CR-V Touring AWD." --Car and Driver

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think the wind noise is excellent. Even at 80 mph. Tire noise? Well that's a more subjective thing, but in my opinion the Bridgestones are too noisy and detract from the overall experience that the CR-V offers. The Hankooks are better, but there are always better options than OEM tires.

·
Registered
281 Posts
"Equally encouraging is the effort to reduce interior noise levels; we measured 69 decibels at a steady 70-mph cruise, a 2-decibel decrease in ambient interior noise levels over a previously tested 2015 CR-V Touring AWD." --Car and Driver
And note that every 3 decibels equals double (or half) amount of loudness to the human ear. So 2 db is a big difference

·
Registered
281 Posts
Well now, that was snippy... Quiet in a new car is not an unreasonable expectation. I totally love my '16 LX 2WD which I recently bought new...but there is more road noise than I expected. Tires might help... little sound deadening in the doors might help...it's not my priority project but I likely will take a stab at it soon. I agree it's not a Lexus... but It's just what wifey and I wanted! :D :D
Sorry, but its true. If the CRV was PERFECT in every way, there would be people who don't like something.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
CRV 2017 Touring

Don't buy this car if you have sensitive ears. THE CAR IS REALLY NOISY AND BUMPY !!!!!

CRV TOURING 2017 A DISAPPOINTED OWNER.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts