Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Window problem

7K views 37 replies 21 participants last post by  TheDarkKnight 
#1 ·
All my car windows including sun roof in my 2017 CR-V are automatically rolling down when I get out of the car. It started about a week ago. I have no idea if I did something to make this happen and I don’t know how to fix it! I’ve tried pushing the lock key on my fob, but within a minute all the windows roll down! I do hear a clicking after the car locks and it’s after this that the windows roll down. Could something be stuck. Any ideas why this is happening and how to fix? Thank you.

#2 ·
Was anything done before this happened? have you used the key into the key cylinder on the driver door? I believe Honda has a feature that if you hold the key in the driver key cylinder it open all of the windows including the sunroof. It could be it that the switch is malfunctioning. Check the manual for this feature.

#8 ·
I didn’t do anything that I’m aware of. I’ll look at the owners manual.

Read your manual - thats one of the features if you press the fob - so stop doing it :)
I read the manual and I am not pressing the unlock button and then pressing it again. The car automatically locks when I walk away from car and then within a minute all the windows roll down.

This has been a feature on Hondas from way back. You need to press the unlock button, release then press and hold again for a couple of seconds. I have never done this accidentally but I guess it is possible. You may have a defect in your fob. Try the second one and see if this one works ok.

#10 ·
I read the manual and I am not pushing the unlock button and pushing it again. The car automatically opens when I get close and locks when I walk away. It’s within a minute the windows will roll down after I’ve gotten out of the car and walked away. The car beeps that it has locked. And it doesn’t happen every time I get out of the car. The instructions in the manual tell you how to get the windows to roll down when you’re not in the car. It does not tell you how to disable this feature. Any ideas on how to do that?

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
This is one of the more insane software features on my 2018. If you press unlock for a few seconds, your windows and sunroof all open up. Never mind the priorities of security and protection from rain/snow. I have had snow in my car for this. Eventually I bought a zippered case to hold the fob so that the buttons can't be pressed accidentally in my pocket. I thought Honda was alone in putting this idiotic software feature in the car, but many others do too. So Honda was blindly following others around. Newer Hondas have a way of disabling this, but I'm not sure if the older ones can do it with a software upgrade. There's more of this fine stuff, and unfortunately it's software that spoils an otherwise excellent car.

#29 ·
Same problem with my 2018 EX. I carry the fob in my pocket with other keys so I'll always have it and know where it is. If I scooch down for something, I might set off the car alarm. Or worse, I might apparently, randomly, accidentally press it twice and then hold it long enough to open up everything. The real idiocy is that Honda did not create a disable for this feature. I suppose that in very hot parts of the world it is handy to be able to remotely open up your car to cool it off. BUT then, to close it all back up, you have to go out and use the key. For a while, I tried covering the "OPEN" button on the fob with a piece of wood and duct tape, but it kept slipping off. Our OP's problem seems far worse.

#22 ·

#30 ·
Update: took my car to Honda dealer. The lock on drivers side was broken and when I got out of the car the mechanism was clicking like I was trying to open the door. I know I’m explaining this poorly, but they installed a new key part and everything is working fine now. I knew the key lock wasn’t working back in May when my car battery died and the valet key in the fob couldn’t open the door. Someone may have tried to break into my car and damaged the key/lock mechanism. But, up until now everything else was working fine with the door locking and windows behaving. Not sure why all of a sudden it started acting up. Also, they told me I needed transmission, brake and coolant fluids changed since they had never been changed. Car has 40,000 miles. Only time maintenance minder has come on was when I needed A1 service. Thank you everyone for trying to help me figure out the problem. Everything cost me $1140.00!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.