Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
now that Canada has release a report .I am able to get a few things I wanted..One is tint for the front windows,but there seems to be 3 kinds and each does some thing different?....The gentleman was hard to undestand,But I think i want the same kind???? as back windows.....anyone know the brand or kind of tint would be on a 2018 LX model in Canada......yes I know the search option ,but it just sent me to places to buy tint?

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
If it's legal then this thread has all the info:
https://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/137-2017-present-official-specs-features-etc-gen-5/130953-window-tint-5.html

I suggest using Llumar CTX (Ceramic Tint). Llumar also has more expensive tint but I think the benefits vs Cost is not worth it unless you have lots of cash floating around.

The three types of tint he might have been talking about:

DYE Tint: Thats the cheapo stuff that most places will give you if you dont know better. It does a very poor job of block IR (Heat) and a poor Job of blocking UV a&b.

Metalized Tint: It's good tint, it blocks IR and a fairly broad spectrum of UV light but it also blocks some of your cell phone signal due to the metal particles in it.

Ceramic Tint and Nano Ceramic: The best of both worlds. Blocks IR and much of the UV band but does not block cell phones. Depending on the models you get more IR and UV blockage. CTX is good enough but if you want the ultimate then you can but Llumar Pinnacle.

The percentage tint color that you need can be found in the thread link I provided.
Llumar tint can be bought on eBay. Contact the seller and ask if they do pre cut tint. I bought mine that way and they pre cut it for a 2018 CR-V for free and the panels fit perfectly. I just carried them to a place that does tinting and they only charged the installation fee.

Rob

·
Registered
347 Posts
The back windows are colored glass with very little UV or heat rejection. I would recommend tinting side and back windows with FormulaOne window tint. Makes a big difference on a sunny day........:BigGrin:

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
https://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/137-2017-present-official-specs-features-etc-gen-5/130953-window-tint-5.html

I suggest using Llumar CTX (Ceramic Tint). Llumar also has more expensive tint but I think the benefits vs Cost is not worth it unless you have lots of cash floating around.

The three types of tint he might have been talking about:

DYE Tint: Thats the cheapo stuff that most places will give you if you dont know better. It does a very poor job of block IR (Heat) and a poor Job of blocking UV a&b.

Metalized Tint: It's good tint, it blocks IR and a fairly broad spectrum of UV light but it also blocks some of your cell phone signal due to the metal particles in it.

Ceramic Tint and Nano Ceramic: The best of both worlds. Blocks IR and much of the UV band but does not block cell phones. Depending on the models you get more IR and UV blockage. CTX is good enough but if you want the ultimate then you can but Llumar Pinnacle.

The percentage tint color that you need can be found in the thread link I provided.
Llumar tint can be bought on eBay. Contact the seller and ask if they do pre cut tint. I bought mine that way and they pre cut it for a 2018 CR-V for free and the panels fit perfectly. I just carried them to a place that does tinting and they only charged the installation fee.

Rob
yes he said something about Ceramic Tint being better? and 20 buck a window difference...I just dont want to get tricked into buying crap that scratches easily if you know what I mean...this will be my first update on our 9 month old CRV....lol

·
Registered
844 Posts

CTX is good enough but if you want the ultimate then you can but Llumar Pinnacle.

Rob
Good summary robbyg, I also have the llumar ctx. I went with 80% on cargo and rear glass (only blocks 20% of visible light), 35% on front (legal limit in Mass) and 5% strip on top of windshield. Had a really good installer in Mass, he recommended against Pinnacle due to look... It is a blend of ceramic and dyed and can have a green look to it, whereas ctx is charcoal. It's all in the eye of the beholder!

Some will put the 80% on front windshield to block UV. This is illegal probably everywhere but hard for anyone to notice. I recommend against it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
yes he said something about Ceramic Tint being better? and 20 buck a window difference...I just dont want to get tricked into buying crap that scratches easily if you know what I mean...this will be my first update on our 9 month old CRV....lol
Yes it is a lot better! You will notice that the heat inside the vehicle is a lot less after you park in the sun, I removed the Dye tint I had on my van and replaced it with ceramic and it made a huge difference. Also ceramic has a much harder surface than Dye tint. You can actually lightly run your finger nail on the ceramic and notice how much harder the surface is. That hardness will lessen the chances of scratching. If your going to have a dealer do it, make sure he is using real Llumar ceramic tint and not giving you some low end stuff.

Rob

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Good summary robbyg, I also have the llumar ctx. I went with 80% on cargo and rear glass (only blocks 20% of visible light), 35% on front (legal limit in Mass) and 5% strip on top of windshield. Had a really good installer in Mass, he recommended against Pinnacle due to look... It is a blend of ceramic and dyed and can have a green look to it, whereas ctx is charcoal. It's all in the eye of the beholder!

Some will put the 80% on front windshield to block UV. This is illegal probably everywhere but hard for anyone to notice. I recommend against it.

I was kind of lucky or unlucky depending on how you look at it. My vehicle did not have any form of tinted glass on it. So I just went and did the whole thing in 30% CTX which made life a bit easier. I am still debating if I should tint the sunroof glass. I am worried the UV will damage the curtain door material after a few years. I rationalized that Honda must have though of that and used strong UV resistant material but who knows!

Rob

·
Registered
844 Posts
I was kind of lucky or unlucky depending on how you look at it. My vehicle did not have any form of tinted glass on it. So I just went and did the whole thing in 30% CTX which made life a bit easier. I am still debating if I should tint the sunroof glass. I am worried the UV will damage the curtain door material after a few years. I rationalized that Honda must have though of that and used strong UV resistant material but who knows!

Rob
I did 80% on sunroof too. Superior UV rejection but still keeps it pretty light so, you know, the sun can come in :)

·
Registered
653 Posts
oh yes, just the side windows....Umm I believe he said rears were 35%?....from the factory and they are not to dark and want the fronts to match...is 35 to dark for fronts?
35% light transmittance for front windows is illegal in my state (Virginia), but you should check your local regulations.

Our front tints must allow a minimum of 50% light transmittance, and the rear must be minimum of 35% transmittance.

Before I get called out on the rear tint: the CRV may (or may not) be legally designated as a "multipurpose" vehicle which would allow any level of rear tint. Multi-purpose is described as "constructed either on a truck chassis or with special features for occasional off-road use"

·
Registered
1,468 Posts

Before I get called out on the rear tint: the CRV may (or may not) be legally designated as a "multipurpose" vehicle which would allow any level of rear tint. Multi-purpose is described as "constructed either on a truck chassis or with special features for occasional off-road use"
I remember reading when the PT Cruiser came out, Chrysler had "petitioned" the US regulating authority to allow it to be categorized that way so they could offer the rear (dark..35%?) tinted windows from the factory. It had no AWD or 4WD option as far as I remember, and certainly wasn't on a truck chassis. :Huh:

EDIT: And of course, minivans mostly all have the rears tinted, and they certainly are not on a truck chassis or designed for occasional off road use. Weird

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes it is a lot better! You will notice that the heat inside the vehicle is a lot less after you park in the sun, I removed the Dye tint I had on my van and replaced it with ceramic and it made a huge difference. Also ceramic has a much harder surface than Dye tint. You can actually lightly run your finger nail on the ceramic and notice how much harder the surface is. That hardness will lessen the chances of scratching. If your going to have a dealer do it, make sure he is using real Llumar ceramic tint and not giving you some low end stuff.

Rob
thanks thats the info i wanted...something that will hold up a little better.....$120 to do 2 windows in Ceramic from a professional tint shop that has lots of good reviews.......dealer wanted 299 to do the same

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
thanks thats the info i wanted...something that will hold up a little better.....$120 to do 2 windows in Ceramic from a professional tint shop that has lots of good reviews.......dealer wanted 299 to do the same
That is a good price. Personally I would do all the windows. Your not going to get the best UV protection unless you have the back and the rear window tinted with Ceramic tint that matches the front. The two main reasons you would want to do this is for the safety of people in the back seats. UV light is what causes skin cancer and during long drives in the day your getting a fairly heavy dose of it. Secondly UV destroys plastics, leather, cloth and just about everything else.
So some extra cash now will pay off in safety for your kids or back passengers and keep the interior from deteriorating.

You can read more here: http://w3.llumar.com/skinprotection/index.html

Rob

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I did 80% on sunroof too. Superior UV rejection but still keeps it pretty light so, you know, the sun can come in :)

You have now got me seriously thinking of getting the clear or 80% tint for the sunroof.

Rob

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Rob

never tinted my moonroof glass on my Accord 2001 - and never had an issue. I would think you are good w/what we have.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I did 80% on both sides and the sun roof with Llumar ceramic. Cut to fit and had a good installer put them on. Probably should have done the back window, too, but didn't. Big difference in the inside heat.

·
Registered
22 Posts
FYI I did 50% on the windshield and sunroof, 20% on the sides and back. In hindsight I would do 30-35% on the rear passengers and back because with the factory tint the additional 20% on the backs makes it much darker than the fronts.

The 50% on the windshield and sunroof makes a noticeable difference in temperature and I would highly recommend it.

88457d1497043402-window-tint-image2.jpg
image1.jpg

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
The crv is the first car ive had that i didnt tint ‘yet’
But its on the list, just planning to go ceramic on the front door glass but interesting to read people doing sunroofs

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
FYI I did 50% on the windshield and sunroof, 20% on the sides and back. In hindsight I would do 30-35% on the rear passengers and back because with the factory tint the additional 20% on the backs makes it much darker than the fronts.

The 50% on the windshield and sunroof makes a noticeable difference in temperature and I would highly recommend it.
Until you need that heat in the winter...

Kidding, kinda

1 - 20 of 58 Posts