Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so My LX obviously doesn't have tinted windows and I really wish it did...and am looking into what it's going to cost me this week. My husband is really leary of anyone but the dealership doing it but dealerships usually charge you wayyyyyy too much for stuff so I was wondering if anyone has gotten the windows tinted on their LX and if so where? and how much did it cost you? (you can PM that to me if you want to) and did it turn out well?

I should I say that I saw an LX that the dealership tinted the windows when they got it today and it looked great... a little darker than the factory tint but still legal in NC.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Just installed last week on my wifes Honda Fit window tint security film. We chose Llumar 8-micras tinted film. I think it was 20% tint on side windows and 35% on the back windows.

We installed it after a horrible experience for her while on a red light at an intersection 6:30pm, she was riding alone and guy smashed the passenger side window and grabbed her purse.:eek:

Check this one out:
YouTube - LLumar Automotive Security Films

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Just installed last week on my wifes Honda Fit window tint security film. We chose Llumar 8-micras tinted film. I think it was 20% tint on side windows and 35% on the back windows.

We installed it after a horrible experience for her while on a red light at an intersection 6:30pm, she was riding alone and guy smashed the passenger side window and grabbed her purse.:eek:

Check this one out:
YouTube - LLumar Automotive Security Films
Wow! That must have been a tragic experience! :-(

That stuff is hard core! but there isn't a dealer for it in NC, the closest is in Martinsville, VA :-(

·
Registered
24 Posts
We had our LX done last month. All windows (except windshield) with the 35 per cent tint and it was $160 total. Done at an outside place that was actually recommended by someone at the dealership. Think they must do the ones they sell and buyer wants the tint.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Wow! That must have been a tragic experience! :-(

That stuff is hard core! but there isn't a dealer for it in NC, the closest is in Martinsville, VA :-(
Look for a 3M dealer near you. They also have security tint film. :)
Indeed it was an awful time for her. Now she tends to be very nervous riding alone at night time.

With the security film the thief will always break the glass but it will take him 50 seconds to go inside the vehicle and grab any object. Time enough to engage and leave the place hopefully.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Just FYI, dealerships don't actually do the tint themselves. They send it out to a 3rd party tint shop (probably one that you would've gone to anyway), charge you a little profit for having to make the phone call to them and handling the transaction, and then offer you a lifetime warranty (which any reputable tint shop will anyway).

The moral of this post is, don't go to the dealership to get your windows tinted. Take it to a reputable tint shop yourself.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Anybody tried to do it your self?
I have. It is truly an art form. You have to know the material very well (how it works, what curves it can accept, how much it will heat shrink, etc). The biggest part is keeping dust, hair, and fingerprints off of the tint during installation. I never could do it. By the time I bought the film and wasted a good portion of the day doing it, it still looked like crap and I paid a pro to redo it (which was more expensive).

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Many DIY jobs for tint look horrible after a year or so. Invest in the money and have a warranty and a professional looking job that lasts. I have them on all my vehicles and my oldest is 13 years old and STILL doesn't bubble or look bad.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.