Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on my 2000, the trim on the bottom of the windows is pretty much all flaked off exposing the silver/chrome color underneath it. I was looking to restore it once it gets warm out and was wondering if anybody could recommend a good spraypaint to use. Also, any tips on doing would be much appreciated as well. The color of the V is clover green pearl and was thinking of MAYBE doing a somewhat glossy black, but with the rest of the trim around the windows it wouldn't match as well unless I painted all of it.

So basically to the point here, what's a good black spraypaint to use that would match the rest of the trim really well, and what are some tips to make the paint last? I appreciate the help in advance

Here's a pic of the car(not mine but same color).

26253796.jpg

·
Registered
114 Posts
My 97 also did that! I still pat myself on the back for the job I did bringing them back. First thing you want to do is remove them. There is either one or two screws holding them in, cant remember. There are also clips holding them. Be careful not to damage anything. Next, you want to sand the old stuff off, I used 200 grit There will be some rubber that does not want to come off, that's fine. In those areas you need to pay special attention on the transition from raw metal to rubber coating. You want the transition to be smooth or else it will show up strongly after painting. Also, you want to sand the raw aluminum well so the paint adheres to it. When finished wash the trim down with anything that will break down grease and oil, like paint thinner. After drying, spray on light coats of black rubber paint. You can get the rubber paint at Lowes, Home Depot, Autoshack, etc. There are several name brands, Plasti-dip being one of them. Read directions and spray in several light coats.

Hope that helps, if it does not you did it wrong!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome thanks for the reply. How exactly do you go about getting those pieces off? Will I have to take the plastic off of the inside of the doors to do so?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Awesome thanks for the reply. How exactly do you go about getting those pieces off? Will I have to take the plastic off of the inside of the doors to do so?
Open your door and you will find a single screw holding the molding down. Remove the screw then roll the window down. I am thinking there is only one screw, I could be wrong. there may be another screw under mirror trim? Now, take your finger tips and gently pull molding up starting from side with screw.

You could do it without removing, just tape everything well. The tape would be more to protect while sanding than overspary. The sanding can be very vigorous and you do not want to hit your paint. I highly advise you to remove the pieces.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Definitely the next project I'll have to do for my window moldings. Any recommended rubber paint sprays besides plastidip?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Open your door and you will find a single screw holding the molding down. Remove the screw then roll the window down. I am thinking there is only one screw, I could be wrong. there may be another screw under mirror trim? Now, take your finger tips and gently pull molding up starting from side with screw.

You could do it without removing, just tape everything well. The tape would be more to protect while sanding than overspary. The sanding can be very vigorous and you do not want to hit your paint. I highly advise you to remove the pieces.
I just started this project of restoring all four exterior "Belt Molding Trims". dthor68 is correct about the one screw holding each trim down. (Front door screws are on the outer portion of door, Rear doors are on the inner portion near hinge side)

I learned a trick for those wanting to remove the trim without breaking the trim clips. With the trims unscrewed, lower the windows all the way down and from the inside, push the upper portion of the trim outwards. Presto!

IMG_3365.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts