Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This week I went out to garage and found my 2018 CRV with all the windows down and sun roof open. This has happened before a couple of times. I would like to know, what is causing this? And what is the fix? I am thankful it was parked inside. My concern is- what if it was outside? Snow/rain/ security of my car?
Thank you

·
Registered
962 Posts
When you press the unlock button on your fob twice (holding it on the second press) the windows and sunroof open.

It's likely you applied pressure by having the fob in your pocket or by letting your orangutang fiddle with it for too long.

To close them all, remove the key from the fob, insert it in the drivers door key slot and turn to the left (I believe) twice, holding it to the left on the second turn. This procedure cannot be done remotely with the fob however you may be able to train your orangutang to do the procedure for you...

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,882 Posts
As RockyMtnCRV has noted.... you got your keyfob squished in your pocket or something.. and it caused the unlock button to be depressed multiple times and held down for one of those times. That tells the Honda that you are approaching and want the vehicle to begin airing out before you climb in and start it up.

It can be a bit disconcerting the first time you experience this.

There is no way to disable that feature that I am aware of.. and Honda really should add that as one of the owner settings in my view. But that would only solve this one issue. You need to just be mindful of this and avoid putting the fob in a physical situation where multiple buttons or button depressions happen (and not just for this... it also runs down the little battery in the fob prematurely, or could cause your vehicle to be unlocked when you don't want it to be).

Personally, I don't care if it happens in my garage, which is actually the only place it has ever happened for me. Out in public.. I always make a habit of looking over my shoulder and double checking my vehicle as I walk out of keyfob distance just to make sure everything is sealed. I also keep the keyfob in a separate pocket, never mixed in with other things that could bump up against a button when I move around or am rummaging in a pocket. My wife had this happen once at work with her Accord, and when I explained the cause.. she simply made a safe cubby spot in her purse where she can put the fob and not have it get squished or bumped by anything else in her purse... and has never had it happen again.

·
Registered
491 Posts
  1. You can also purchase a fob cover that makes it harder to accidentally press the buttons. Amazon sells them.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Kinda like a butt dial except with your windows.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I carry the fob on a carabiner, hooked to a belt loop........tailgate opened while sitting in a restaurant. WTF!?‍♂

·
Registered
109 Posts
My 2015 Ex-L can't do this! I wish it could though.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Thanks, will give it a try.(y)

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Made the change, works great, thanks again.??

·
Registered
89 Posts
  1. You can also purchase a fob cover that makes it harder to accidentally press the buttons. Amazon sells them.
I purchased one and thought I was in the clear. Hadn't happened for approx. 6 months.

Had an accidental opening yesterday. Thankfully my neighbor alerted me before the rain arrived.

This alone makes me want to get rid of the CRV and never buy a Honda product with this ridiculous "feature".

·
Floatin' Pizza Slices
4,608 Posts
Said poster hasnt been on in over a year and there a few threads already done to death on the window opening.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.