Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came back to my 2018 Honda CRV and found all the windows partially rolled down as well as the sunroof.

Based on investigation, if the FOB unlock button is held down, the windows and sunroof open. This was a surprise to me as I did not expect this feature and it happened inadvertently. Honda service confirmed that there is no way to bypass this action.

They also called this a feature. I believe this is not a feature but a defect.

Quite frustrating and one has to be careful to not inadvertently leave a locked car with all the windows down. Also, do not do this inadvertently on a rainy day!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
This is on all hondas for the last decade, lots of new honda owners stumble on this.
Its all covered in your manual

·
Registered
1 Posts
Happened twice in first three days of buying the 2018 CRV. Many tales online of flooded vehicles. Agree that this is not a "feature" but a defect. Does anyone have an idea on a key protector or different type of fob?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I keep mine in a zippered leather pouch. The dang thing still activates the window. I just ran into this last night. The stupid feature activated my windows in a shopping center parking lot. Luckily nothing was stolen and it had stopped raining. To say I was majorly honked off is a severe understatement. I drove home, locked the car, searched this forum, found the answer, duplicated the 'windows down feature', removed the batteries from the key fobs, went back to the car and verified all windows up and locked. Slept that night thinking of all the pain I would like to introduce into certain Honda engineer's body parts.

After cooling down I called Honda today. that is NOT a defeatable feature. Called the dealership: ditto.

Henceforth I keep the remote key fobs at home and only use the Valet key. Most likely this is the LAST time I will buy a Honda.

Edit: I own the base model AWD. This IS NOT covered in the manual. Surprise, surprise!
...harrumph!

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Try a carabiner on a belt loop.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Try a carabiner on a belt loop.
Yep, that's exactly what the service manager said. I don't like the security of that. YMMV. Besides, you KNOW I'm going to either sit on it, lean against, or bump into something. It's like my luck in life.

Actually I'm thinking a solution would to 3D print a snap on cap to cover the buttons. I wonder if anybody actually has done that?

HA! I have an even better situation that happened to me. Several cars ago I had remote entry/lock. I was in my garage doing some MIG work. When I stopped a bead I was laying, I could hear some doofus' car alarm going off. Who's the idjit I muttered as I raised the garage door. That idjit was I. Something about 250 amps flowing an inch from the keyfob for some 'odd reason' set it off. :oops:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Believe it or not. I have exactly the same key case with some clips on a rail for other keys. Now here is the part IMHO where the folks at Honda went wrong on my key fob. Your photo has some horizontal bars separating the keys preventing inadvertent depression. The Honda fob (well, at least mine) does not.
Squeezing the sides of that flexible leather case still activates the key. It is a nice case and keeps the sharp edges of keys from wearing a hole in your pants pocket though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you already keep your keys in a pouch, you're halfway there! Swap it out for a RF blocking (or Faraday) pouch. I bought a couple on Amazon, and they work. NO signal escapes. Best solution I've found.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you already keep your keys in a pouch, you're halfway there! Swap it out for a RF blocking (or Faraday) pouch. I bought a couple on Amazon, and they work. NO signal escapes. Best solution I've found.
Links would be most appreciated.
I already keep my credit cards in a Cu lined RFI pouch donated to me by our wonderful IT dept.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Links would be most appreciated.
I already keep my credit cards in a Cu lined RFI pouch donated to me by our wonderful IT dept.
This is one of the more popular ones sold on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Faraday-TICONN-Premium-Protector/dp/B07GDD35GH/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=signal+blocking+key+fob+case&qid=1575667354&sr=8-5

If you are into this sort of thing, it's a good choice. You can even squeeze a credit card in there too.. and it has a metal safety hook clip too. It's not good for me because I don't want to have to take my fob out just to access or start my car. For example.. you have to keep it out of the faraday case while driving or your CRV will pitch a fit about the fob being missing. I don't need RF protection because I literally only ever use the fob passively (ie: close proximity detection when I manually push the door handle lock, which is unlikely to ever be sniffed up by a hacker somewhere near by.. they would have to be standing next to me).

I don't have the issue with accidental key press for multiple seconds to trigger the windows, as I keep my fob in a small separate pocket in my pants. My wife had the issue one time with her Accord and freaked out. I told her the cause and told her to lot let her keys roll around in her purse and to put them in a separate outside zipper pocket on the purse (her purse has several of these)... and she never had the problem again.

The ideal solution to this ongoing issue is a flip open hard plastic case that holds the fob and you simply flip open the front cover and push a button when needed and then flip it back closed. I have not yet seen one.

Another alternative is you could simply put your fob on a neck strap, which in most cases would not get a multi-second button push needed to push the windows down. Something like this one https://www.amazon.com/Crosstour-Insight-Ridgeline-protector-ACJ932HK1210A/dp/B07BMZXQ96/ref=sr_1_21?keywords=hard+plastic+key+fob+case+for+honda&qid=1575667925&sr=8-21 + one of those very common badge neck straps that a lot of employees at corporations with RF badges use. But then you look like some sort of geek walking around. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Yep, that's exactly what the service manager said. I don't like the security of that. YMMV. Besides, you KNOW I'm going to either sit on it, lean against, or bump into something. It's like my luck in life...........
You’ll never know ‘til you try it. Has worked for me many miles/years now. Somewhat more secure than windows being down, I would think.🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions guys.
1. external clip. I don't know where you all live, but park downtown here and somebody will surely follow you, remove your key, and then remove your car.
2. Lanyard. Did that for the last decade. Now I am so glad to not have something hanging around my neck. Not doing that again! And yes I did take it off when leaving the facility.
3. flip open hard plastic case. Yes I agree totally, this would be the ideal solution.

BUT... you gave me an idea. It started when you mentioned credit card. If I took my zippered case and cut a piece of rigid plastic laminate (AKA Formica) to fit the interior and then ALWAYS faced the buttons toward it. Yea, always, that's the problem right there. See former analysis of 'my luck'.

A friend has a 3D printer and CAD software. I'm wondering if he knows of any.
But the old adage may apply: Somebody's already thought of that, like QWERTY for a password. ;)
Thingiverse

Someone has a similar idea if you drive a Ford!

·
Registered
34 Posts
A friend apparently is better at searching for thing at thingiverse. He found:

Now if I can get it modified to fit this:

·
Registered
21 Posts
This is on all hondas for the last decade, lots of new honda owners stumble on this.
Its all covered in your manual
Can that function be turned off and on? It does not work on my 2013 CRV. My Honda is with in the last decade of which you speak

Richard

·
Registered
21 Posts
It looks like that function has not been part of all Hondas for the last decade. If so I would work on my 13 CRV.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts