Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning we went out and found all the windows and skylight open on our 2018 CRV Touring. That is very odd, since we definitely didn't have the windows or skylight open yesterday. At first I thought someone might have gotten into the car and opened the windows, but we live in a rural area, and it is very unlikely somebody walked up our driveway; I often don't lock my old van at all; even if we leave our garage door open, nothing is ever stolen. Plus, my wife is confident that she locked the car yesterday, and that is likely true since she normally does lock it upon returning. So assuming our car was locked and nobody got in to open the windows and skylight, is there any reason these would simply open overnight? I'm wondering if there is some electrical short or software glitch that might cause this. I would hate for this to happen if we were parked somewhere with something valuable in the car.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Common discovery. You somehow enabled the "feature" that opens your windows and sunroof using the fob. There is no way to disable it, but you can get a fob cover that will greatly reduce the possibility.

·
Registered
165 Posts
If you press the unlock button, then press again and hold the unlock button for several seconds, that's what happens. I dont know of any way to defeat this feature. Somehow the unlock button was depressed for several seconds while within range.

Sent from my Samsung Tab A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
232 Posts
Congratulations, you just discovered the Easter egg that Honda engineered into your car. Be assured that you're not the first person to find this little gem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks -- I never would have guessed there'd be some function like this built in on purpose. Shows what I know. Now I just need to make sure we never do this accidentally.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,927 Posts
Thanks -- I never would have guessed there'd be some function like this built in on purpose. Shows what I know. Now I just need to make sure we never do this accidentally.
When it happens unrequested, it is because your keyfob key button got squished by something in your pocket or purse.

While I think Honda should give owners a user controlled setting to disable this.... until then... adjust how you physically manage your keys in pocket, or purse.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you hold the unlock button for several seconds that's what happens. I dont know of any way to defeat this feature. Somehow the unlock button was depressed for several seconds while within range.
Ok, so this morning I proudly announced to my wife what caused the problem, and we went out so that I could show her. I held the unlock button down several times, for up to 30 seconds, and nothing happened. So is this a joke? Are you now going to tell me it only works if I"m standing naked in hiking boots with an umbrella while holding the unlock button? So the mystery remains.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Ok, so this morning I proudly announced to my wife what caused the problem, and we went out so that I could show her. I held the unlock button down several times, for up to 30 seconds, and nothing happened. So is this a joke? Are you now going to tell me it only works if I"m standing naked in hiking boots with an umbrella while holding the unlock button? So the mystery remains.
Might want to read your manual:

Pg 165: http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/OM/AH/ATLA1818OM/enu/ATLA1818OM.PDF

To open: Press the unlock button, and then within 10 seconds, press it again and keep it pressed. If the windows and moonroof* or panoramic roof*1 stop midway, repeat the procedure.

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
1,475 Posts
Turn car off
Lock all the doors
Press unlock
Press unlock AND HOLD DOWN

if you want them to go back up
Slide out the key in the fob put in the door, turn it once to lock and turn again AND HOLD and everything will close

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks--Now I've got it! I wasn't pushing it down once before. This is really good to know. When I first discovered this I had to drive my wife quite a ways to a doctor's apt, and the whole way I was worried that the electrical system was on the blink and I might get stranded. It's good to know that isn't the case. So thanks for educating me.

·
Registered
2018 CR-V Touring
49 Posts
I keep a small signal blocking pouch in my pocket. I can stand next to the car, drop the fob into my pocket (into the pouch), and the car locks as it sees the fob disappear. The only other thing I would try would be some sort of hard cover over the buttons, that would hinge aside in use. The Faraday cage has worked well so far!

·
Registered
43 Posts
So, this is a feature, not a bug. Wonderful. This just happened to me. With my 2017 CRV Touring sitting in a locked common area garage in my condo building. Where several other cars had been vandalized last week and their windows broken. So, I've spent several days (and sleepless nights) wondering if I should report this to the police. Then a neighbor said, "maybe it's an electronic glitch..."

Thank you everybody - I appreciate this forum more than I can say. I also just bought the sleeves Zip1 suggested.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Did you make sure that the umbrella was open exactly halfway? <wink>

·
Registered
1 Posts
Turn car off
Lock all the doors
Press unlock
Press unlock AND HOLD DOWN

if you want them to go back up
Slide out the key in the fob put in the door, turn it once to lock and turn again AND HOLD and everything will close
I wonder why closing all windows cannot be done with the fob which is more important rather than the key.
Is there a way to do it?

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
1,475 Posts
I wonder why closing all windows cannot be done with the fob which is more important rather than the key.
Is there a way to do it?
you need to visually see the car to close
logic is if a kid or pet had head out the window and u remotely closed it you could kill/choke them

·
Registered
197 Posts
Is there a way to do it?
These is a way to close all the windows with the fob! Simply remove the key from the fob, insert it into the driver's door lock, turn counterclockwise to lock the doors, then turn counterclockwise again and hold. All the windows will go up.

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
1,475 Posts
These is a way to close all the windows with the fob! Simply remove the key from the fob, insert it into the driver's door lock, turn counterclockwise to lock the doors, then turn counterclockwise again and hold. All the windows will go up.
guess you missed the posts above with those instructions

·
Registered
460 Posts
Did this work?
Well, I have never experienced the "all open" situation.
I purchased the sleeves (for this very reason) within a week or so of picking up the vehicle.
So, did it fix the problem? I don't know, I keep the FOB in my pocket with other items and my wife keeps the FOB in her backpack with other items and we've yet to experience the problem. So, it at least aids in preventing the problem.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts