Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With both my Accord (now sold) and my wife's CRV, we have issues with the interior side of the windshield developing some sort of film. Furthermore, glass cleaner doesn't really seem to help.

For best results, I have had to use a dry towel to rub out the problem areas. But, it keeps coming back.

Has anyone else had the same issue in their Hondas and found a good solution.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,920 Posts
Every auto I've ever owned has had that issue. On one make, the inside glass fogged up REALLY quickly.

The issue is outgassing from the interior materials. Seats, carpets, plastics. It is worse in warm weather.

+++++++++++++++

The Stoner IG is a good product. You should 'use it as directed': that is, use CLOTH wipes or towels (paper towels cause streaks), and wipe the cleaned glass with black and white Newsprint. (<--- What are we going to do when all the newspapers go out of business? Wipe windows with tablets? LOL)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with this. Between washings, I just keep a cheap shop rag in my driver[s door compartment to wipe off the inside of the windshield.
That is very similar to my strategy. You would think that someone would have figured out a "cure" by now.

·
Registered
548 Posts
That is very similar to my strategy. You would think that someone would have figured out a "cure" by now.
Yep!

One way to dramatically decreasing the film on the inside of your windscreen, is to use a clean chamois to wipe over the interior plastic panels (things like Armorall are totally banned), use a windscreen protector (sun reflector) to keep the sun out despite which season it is if your car is not garaged or parked under cover at work.

Works for me on this side of the pond. :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
@Wombat

Why do you say ArmorAll is bad? I thought it usually stuck and protected things for a very long period of time. Does it damage anything or you just don't like the extreme shine it gives to everything?

·
Everything in Moderation
7,920 Posts
It is felt that the Armor All coating will 'bake off' over time and contribute to window fogging or film buildup.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I don't use Armorall or any tire dressing treatments on my cars. I just bought a can of that Invisible Glass to try out on our CR-V windshield. It's sitting in the sun any time my wife wants to do laundry as the car blocks the washer/dryer when in the garage. I've tried to get in the habit of parking it inside whenever possible to cut down on the out gassing. When we first got our car it was so bad we had to leave the windows open, even when parked in the garage the smell was so overwhelming. Now days, the smell isn't there but the out gassing is still present over the course of time spent in the sun.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Invisible Glass does a good job, but it takes a little more time and effort than using a regular glass cleaner like Windex.. but it's worth it to me.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I did a quick application/clean of the windshield yesterday before running some errands. I must say, it is noticeably better now. Still need to do a second clean as recommended on the can. The old adage of doing a second rinse like they always had us do in chemistry class still holds true today. I'm a happy camper and I'm almost positive my wife will like the results too.

·
Registered
548 Posts
@Wombat

Why do you say ArmorAll is bad? I thought it usually stuck and protected things for a very long period of time. Does it damage anything or you just don't like the extreme shine it gives to everything?
It increases the amount of outgassing from the dash materials.

P.S. I learnt a savage lesson of not to put it on motorcycle seats too, unless you like running down the road hanging the handlebars, provided you can keep up. ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes I've noticed the same thing with my 2018 CRV. The windshield always seems cloudy - defrost does seem to clear it up a bit but I feel I shouldn't have to drive around with my defrost constantly on. I haven't cleaned the inside of my windshield because I'm afraid it may make matters worse. I have a couple of friends that have CRVs and are having the same problem. Could this be a factory issue?

Sorry I'm new to this whole posting on a forum thing lol and just noticed this thread is from 2015. Is anyone experiencing an issue with a cloudy windshield more recently? Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes I've noticed the same thing with my 2018 CRV. The windshield always seems cloudy - defrost does seem to clear it up a bit but I feel I shouldn't have to drive around with my defrost constantly on. I haven't cleaned the inside of my windshield because I'm afraid it may make matters worse. I have a couple of friends that have CRVs and are having the same problem. Could this be a factory issue?

Sorry I'm new to this whole posting on a forum thing lol and just noticed this thread is from 2015. Is anyone experiencing an issue with a cloudy windshield more recently? Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Terrible smell is starting to fade. Windshield film is ridiculous. I always have to wash windows every few days.😪

1 - 20 of 30 Posts